New Girl

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
My reward to myself for quitting chewing tobacco, five years ago, after 45 years chewing was a new rifle/shotgun every year. The rifle must be approximately equal to a can of chew a day year. I’m still getting away with it but Catherine reminded me I bought that nice double shotgun earlier this year, so this is 2023s rifle. Regardless of snomageddon delaying the shipment it’s 2023s rifle. I’m blessed, she only rolls her eyes occasionally with my antics.
She’s a 300 H&H Figure I’ll run 180s out of her

Attachments

• BF0E3E08-A9BC-4CAC-933A-CBDB8CC0F901.jpeg
    BF0E3E08-A9BC-4CAC-933A-CBDB8CC0F901.jpeg
    789.6 KB · Views: 35
Way to go buddy, I kicked that beast a while back and it was a very hard thing to do. Congratulations on a fine rifle.

Don,
Congratulations on the 300 H&H. Beautiful rifle and I can only imagine what it will feel like to cycle those long slender rounds through it.
You are fortunate to only get the eye roll from your wife. My wife usually is vocal, saying "well I want one too". Everything cost me 2x buddy but I'm not complaining.
Enjoy your 300 H&H.

JD338

Congratulation for improving your health and a classic rifle and caliber. Looking forward to your reports. Dan.

An excellent choice! Can’t wait to see how she shoots. What bullet weight/style(s) are you planning to try to use in it?

So what was your trick to stop? Congratulations on the new girl.
I had a number of false starts over the years, came up with the gun buying plan, put five to 10 bucks in a jar every day. Kept the jar on the mantel pretty soon I had to add another Jar. First three weeks were unbelievably hard, got better with time. Five years later I still pat my pocket every night after dinner.

I'm totally stealing your idea when I quit... I told the GF I'd quit when her good for nothing son moved out of my basement. One way or another, with me just leaving or him getting off his ass, it happening soon.

Just did the math. I can pick up some pretty decent shotguns for $3k...

Yes, i think it is a good plan. When you get ready let me know. You can call me when you’re afraid you’re going to relapse. I’ll be part of the guns for chew support group

Last edited:
What a sweet rifle and such a nostalgic cartridge
Not sure why I started down this road; .22-250 vs .223; 257 roberts vs 25/06; 275 Rigby vs a 7-08; 300 HH vs 300 win or bee. But I’m enjoying it. The .22-250 I’ve had since about 1980, the 375HH for at least 25 years. I’ve traded a number of them in-between for one reason or another but I’m set now.

Nice choice!!! I had one and she was a shooter!

9efG4W0.jpg

That is a great looking rifle in a great cartridge that covers everything in North America.

That's the one cartridge I always wanted in a M70 but never got when I was younger. There always seemed to be a lot of coolness about it, but money always got in the way.
Now I have a M70 300 Win mag I'm thinking of selling. Getting to the point where I'm not hunting as much and not having anyone who hunts to pass them on to.

Back