New Marlin 336

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Read where Ruger made Marlins is bringing back the Mod 336 and it will be chambered for both the 30-30 and 35 Rem. I'm glad to see that rifle coming back and especially in the 35 Rem. Read that couple of the ammo manufactures are loading that round again. Good news I say. Dan.

I had one in 30-30 back in the 1960s. Dad bought it used for a Christmas gift for me. The micro grooved barrel wouldn't stabilize Winchester 170gr power points and would key hole at 50 yds. But it would shoot 150gr Rem/Peters core locks all day long. He had his choice of it or a M70 .308, he didn't like the .308, I didn't like the 30-30 but I used it till I found a used 30-06. It was a safe queen for several years till I was at a friend's shooting it and he offered me a new price for it and I let it go.

I have a JM stamped 336SC in 30-30; That little rifle shoots like a house on fire. I shoot a lot of gophers with it in the summer. With the prices I am seeing on the Ruger/Marlins on the gun selling sites up here, I don't see one in my future.

Read where Ruger made Marlins is bringing back the Mod 336 and it will be chambered for both the 30-30 and 35 Rem. I'm glad to see that rifle coming back and especially in the 35 Rem. Read that couple of the ammo manufactures are loading that round again. Good news I say. Dan.
It's up on their website, as is the 1894.

Now, we just have to wait to see if it costs less than $5,603,456,153,631,892,224.99

I want one in 35 Remington pretty badly myself..

I foolishly sold my old 336 35 Rem to another member here and it has haunted me ever since!

Okay - the spec sheet is up on the new 336.
Weight: 7.5 pounds
Capacity: 6+1
MSRP: $1,239

Or, I could get a Henry side-gate.
Weight: 7 pounds
Capacity: 5+1
MSRP: $1,057

Will someone kindly explain to me why +1 round (oh, and a gold coloured trigger) cost $200? Someone? Anyone? I really want Ruger/Marlin to be successful. I really want to get more than one of the new Marlins - I want an 1895G, an 1894, and a 336 or two - but I do not believe this is a recipe for their success, or mine.

*EDIT* Added links to the product pages for ease of reading.

I just won’t pay that price for a 30-30. Can’t do it.
I‘ll never say never but I can’t see it in my future. It seems Ruger thinks nostalgia will override common sense.

Love my 30-30 Marlin. Started life as an XLR and I shortened the barrel to 21"....jus to be different. Shoots well also

T6tbgqC.jpg

rE81hU7.jpg

I've seen a couple of very good reviews of the new 336, especially in the accuracy department (I thank Guy for pointing me int he general direction). I think a 30-30 lever that produces MOA or a bit under would be amazing. Still not sure about the price, though in light of what I have learned, I'm not sure my Henry comparison is fair. Does anyone know how the Henry steel 30-30 is in the accuracy department?

Back