New Press Opinions -Received the M-Press-

Joec7651

Handloader
Apr 7, 2019
Hey guys. I’m going to be buying a new reloading press. I’ve narrowed it down to just a couple at this point. My first choice is the Redding Big Boss II, or the Frankfort Arsenal M-Press Coaxial. I really like the Frankfort Arsenal M-Press, but the Redding is……..well it’s a Redding. For the price the FA seems like a great buy for the money, and the reviews have been positive. I’m not concerned about the quality of the Redding press in the slightest, and like its strength very much. I have no interest in a progressive press and was curious if any of you have any experience with either of these. I will say FA’s customer service has been great for me. I have an Intellidropper automatic powder measure/scale that I’ve had for 4-5 years. It gave out and they replaced it no questions asked. They paid for me to ship it to them and sent a new Intellidropper without any fuss at all. Any insight you folks have into these two presses would be very helpful. Thanks guys.

Hey guys. I’m going to be buying a new reloading press. I’ve narrowed it down to just a couple at this point. My first choice is the Redding Big Boss II, or the Frankfort Arsenal M-Press Coaxial. I really like the Frankfort Arsenal M-Press, but the Redding is……..well it’s a Redding. For the price the FA seems like a great buy for the money, and the reviews have been positive. I’m not concerned about the quality of the Redding press in the slightest, and like its strength very much. I have no interest in a progressive press and was curious if any of you have any experience with either of these. I will say FA’s customer service has been great for me. I have an Intellidropper automatic powder measure/scale that I’ve had for 4-5 years. It gave out and they replaced it no questions asked. They paid for me to ship it to them and sent a new Intellidropper without any fuss at all. Any insight you folks have into these two presses would be very helpful. Thanks guys.
Either will serve you well. I use a Forster Co-Ax and a Redding T-7. The T-7 probably isn't as sturdy as the Big Boss II, and will only last for a few hundred years. I would expect the Big Boss to last for at least a millennium or so. The Forster Co-Ax is smooth as glass, and the Frankfort Arsenal Co-Ax appears to be more substantial still. I wouldn't see you wearing out either press.

Forster is absolutely worth looking at. Works great. Each end "floats" a bit which could prove to build straighter ammo with very little runout. Great primer catch system too.

I get to use a lot of different presses these days, which is fun and interesting. Forster deserves a look for sure.

Guy

I wonder how the Frankfort compares to the Forster. Amazon has the Frankfort for $150 shipped , that would be a deal if they’re in the same league.

I’m leaning toward the Redding. I really like, and use their dies for all but one caliber I load. I use Forster headspace go and no-go gauges, but never their dies or presses. The M-Press I’d really interesting me as well, but I’m unsure on the product itself. I started looking at the RCBS Summit but it seems to have issues with cracking and lack of strength in a couple spots.

I have been happy with Frankfort Arsenal customer service. They replaced my Intellidropper without hesitation. They paid shipping both ways and sent a new unit from the assembly line. im still undecided. I’m afraid that if I buy the M-Press I’ll wish I had sprung for the Redding and end up with the BB II anyway.

Last edited:
Guy, after watching Gavin’s videos I went with the Frankfort Arsenal M-Press. Taking cost into account, and previous interaction with FA’s customer service I think it will serve me well. Worst case scenario, I don’t like it, return it and go with the Forster or Redding. Hopefully I made the right choice. I’ll know soon enough.

I received the Frankfort. Arsenal coaxial press today. The first thing I noticed was the weight. It’s built for business. Cast iron and smooth as silk. It was well lubed with gun grease, not thin oils.

I drilled the mounting holes and got it securely installed. Set the linkages for positive stop instead of having it cam over. Actually I changed it to positive stop after the 20 rounds were loaded. I was a bonehead and put the linkage back on just like I took it off. (good job Joe) You can choose which you prefer. The mechanical advantage of this press is exceptional compared to any center ram press I’ve ever used. At first I thought the die was set incorrectly. it wasn’t, it just took that little effort to size a case.

So I tested it. I had 20 once fired Federal 308 Win brass from a batch of 50 I loaded earlier this year and went to work seeing what kind of product I could produce. (I marked them once fired) After setting the Redding FL sizing die. Headspace measurement on all 20 pieces of brass only varied .0005” above or below where it was set. So they varied by .001”. Measured with digital calipers. I know it’s new but I’ll take that all day long.

Also, all spent Primers are kept in a removable compartment until you dump them. None get away. It may not be a big deal to some but I was tired of sweeping up ejected primers that tried to escape. The light is a nice touch, and the universal shell holder was solid and worked flawlessly.

I loaded 150gr Speer Gold Dot bullets and OAL of all rounds varied a total of .011”, .0055” above or below set for lead tip bullets. The BTO measurement varied by .007”, .0035” above or below. I was very surprised and double checked them all. I mean they aren’t target bullets. That’s as good as variances I get with Berger Hybrids when physically measuring a completed round as it comes off the press.

As long as it lasts, which I think it will because I maintain my equipment well. I’m very happy. It loaded the first 20 rounds much more precisely than I can shoot them. For the price I‘m very happy. I’d certainly recommend it to anyone in the market.

Last edited:
I received the Frankfort. Arsenal coaxial press today. The first thing I noticed was the weight. It’s built for business. Cast iron and smooth as silk. It was well lubed with gun grease, not thin oils.

I drilled the mounting holes and got it securely installed. Set the linkages for positive stop instead of having it cam over. Actually I changed it to positive stop after the 20 rounds were loaded. I was a bonehead and put the linkage back on just like I took it off. (good job Joe) You can choose which you prefer. The mechanical advantage of this press is exceptional compared to any center ram press I’ve ever used. At first I thought the die was set incorrectly. it wasn’t, it just took that little effort to size a case.

So I tested it. I had 20 once fired Federal 308 Win brass from a batch of 50 I loaded earlier this year and went to work seeing what kind of product I could produce. (I marked them once fired) After setting the Redding FL sizing die. Headspace measurement on all 20 pieces of brass only varied .0005” above or below where it was set. So they varied by .001”. Measured with digital calipers. I know it’s new but I’ll take that all day long.

Also, all spent Primers are kept in a removable compartment until you dump them. None get away. It may not be a big deal to some but I was tired of sweeping up ejected primers that tried to escape. The light is a nice touch, and the universal shell holder was solid and worked flawlessly.

I loaded 150gr Speer Gold Dot bullets and OAL of all rounds varied a total of .011”, .0055” above or below set for lead tip bullets. The BTO measurement varied by .007”, .0035” above or below. I was very surprised and double checked them all. I mean they aren’t target bullets. That’s as good as variances I get with Berger Hybrids when physically measuring a completed round as it comes off the press.

As long as it lasts, which I think it will because I maintain my equipment well. I’m very happy. It loaded the first 20 rounds much more precisely than I can shoot them. For the price I‘m very happy. I’d certainly recommend it to anyone in the market.
Very nice, congratulations.
The difference you are seeing in loaded COL is probably more in the difference in the actual bullet than the press.
I'm sure you will be extremely happy with your new press.

JD338

Good to hear you’re happy with your new press.
Have you checked run out on the sized brass and loaded round yet?

Good to hear you’re happy with your new press.
Have you checked run out on the sized brass and loaded round yet?
I don’t have a runout gauge. I’ve only ever loaded for hunting and informal target ammunition. I do plan on getting a runout gauge in the near future though to produce the most precise rounds I can.

I loaded 7mmRem Mag rounds today for an initial ladder test using Ramshot LRT and 180gr Berger Hybrids. The tolerances for those rounds were much less than those of the 308 Gold Dots. These 7mm Rem Mag we’re also loaded with a Redding competition seating die. They only varied by + - .001”. Once I find the node I want to work with, I can take the shortest round and by using the seating stem micrometer make the BTO length perfectly uniform from round to round. At least that is my plan.

Setting the press linkage to go to a dead stop instead of camming over may have helped with tolerances as well, but it was most likely Berger’s precision. I whole heartedly think my skill and attention to detail will need to improve to utilize the potential of the press as well. I’m moving up from a Lee Challenger single stage press I’ve had for 10 years, maybe longer, to this one. Nothing wrong with the Lee at all. It’s not worn out, and I’ve loaded a lot of sub 1” ammo with it. I’ll still use it to size and install gas checks on my cast 45-70 bullets. It’s a huge step up for me going to the coaxial press, and there will be a little bit of an adjustment period I suppose.

Congratulations on the new equipment.
Couple of things...
"The mechanical advantage of this press is exceptional compared to any center ram press I’ve ever used."
Comparing it to what presses you've experience with?

If you're able to and have a few minutes, take some pictures.
Especially showing the features you make note about would be great.
Your post will be seen by countless of readers. Not only members of this forum but even more outside the forum searching for answers on a search engine.
Any of that can help other reloaders.

Congrats and enjoy the new press!!

Congratulations on the new equipment.
Couple of things...
"The mechanical advantage of this press is exceptional compared to any center ram press I’ve ever used."
Comparing it to what presses you've experience with?

If you're able to and have a few minutes, take some pictures.
Especially showing the features you make note about would be great.
Your post will be seen by countless of readers. Not only members of this forum but even more outside the forum searching for answers on a search engine.
Any of that can help other reloaders.

Congrats and enjoy the new press!!
The presses I’ve used and have laying around are a Rockchucker, a couple Lee single stage presses(both aluminum and cast iron), and a Hornady progressive that I returned because I felt the price was inflated in contrast to function.
EDIT: A close friend uses a RCBS Summit and to me the M-Press has tighter tolerances and a smoother stroke. And his Summit is a REALLY nice press.

I just rolled in from work so the pics may be a few days coming. Gavin with Ultimate Reloader has a video on YouTube describing the press that sold me on it if you want a more refined presentation than I can provide.

Last edited:
Back