New Production Remington 700 CDL

What trigger are they putting into their new 700's Joe?
The X-Mark Pro Adjustable trigger. The pull weight is adjustable without removing the action from the stock. I’m guessing it was set at roughly 3.5 lbs when I got it. After shooting it I backed it down to 2.5-3 lbs. They tweaked the X-Mark Pro from what I understand.

Edit: There was a recall on older X-Mark triggers but the problem has been resolved in the new triggers.

Last edited:
About 5 or 6 years ago I decided to not buy anymore new rifles, be they brand new or new to me. Now you come on here telling about a new Remington and I'm getting an urge that I hope to refrain from following. I'll probably fail in the long run, more's the pity.

I think I prefer the Winchester M70 push feeds a bit more than the Remington. I'm just not a fan of the dinky extractor. I have three M700s and a 660. The 660 has the same basic extractor. I bought the rifle back in 1973 and sometime around 1985 the extractor failed. My gunsmith said he couldn't get another one as Remington had made some slight changes. I don't know what they were but he did cobble up one for an M700 and made it work.

MY M700s are two 30-06s and a .35 Whelen The Whelen and one 06 are Classics and the odd one out is a BDL. Nice rifles, reasonably well made with decent accuracy. My only gripe is that very shiny finish Remington puts on the BDL and ADL. I took care of the with a wad of 0000 steel wool and paste wax. Looks a lot more like an oil finish now.

AFAIK, the long action for the M700s have always been able to accommodate the .375 H&H. I get a kick out of people preferring short action rifle, yet also use long action Remingtons in cartridges like the 270 or 30-06 and don't complain about the long bolt throw of the Remington.

Guess one of these days when I'm out and about, I'll have to hit my LGS and check one of the new 700s out.
Paul B.

The two reasons I haven't indulged in a 7RM is 1) my 280 Ackley and 2) the lack of magnum primers available currently. Super fond of it, though
I can get away with LR primers loading IMR4831 or RL22 and see no difference in groups, and only 10-15 fps with regards to velocity. Anything slower or ball and LRM is a necessity. RL25 laughs at LR primers. Tried it, 150+ SD.

Edit: I’m speaking of the 7mm RM.

Last edited:
I can get away with LR primers loading IMR4831 or RL22 and see no difference in groups, and only 10-15 fps with regards to velocity. Anything slower or ball and LRM is a necessity. RL25 laughs at LR primers. Tried it, 150+ SD.

Edit: I’m speaking of the 7mm RM.
Might have to check it out at some point, then

I hope they do a Classic Series like the old 700 in a classic chambering every year in a limited run. What classic cartridge would you Guys like to see ?
They should do some of the classic cartridges they have brought out over the years. I'll start with the 260 Rem and 280 Rem and make sure they have 1 in 8 twists to take advantage of long modern bullets. The fast twist idea would work for almost any round they have chambered in the past. The 25-06 and 22/250 come to mind.

I hope they do a Classic Series like the old 700 in a classic chambering every year in a limited run. What classic cartridge would you Guys like to see ?
That would be excellent. It's my personal dream to own one of each of the original "Classic" offerings. I've got a few, but alas unless my Powerball numbers come through it's really just a pipe dream...

I would be happy though if they come out with a stainless CDL, which I'm sure they will if they haven't already. .257 Roberts and 7X57 would be my first choices in one of those.
I like seeing everyone talk about them. Just a debating on a good rifle. I’m happy. Others will differ.
I am also happy. While anecdotal for the time being, their quality seems to be what a Remington 700 used to, and is supposed to be. I'm sure my current self control of not grabbing the first one I see will be tested, and most likely failing in the near future.

I’d like to thank everyone for all the great input, experiences, well wishes, and putting up with me being long winded sometimes.

Back