New Record non typical elk?

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Don‘t know the details yet; story line is a bunch of guys new this bull was on the Washington side of the Walla Walla unit. South east corner of Washington, NE corner of Oregon. They are Oregon guys. Pooled their money and bought a governors tag. Hunted the bull for 19 days before killing him. This story has not been verified but I’ve heard it from a couple of guys who probably would know. Green score 460 and change

Attachments

• EC8D0412-923A-4C60-AABD-3C11ABA26326.jpeg
    EC8D0412-923A-4C60-AABD-3C11ABA26326.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 842D8666-5100-4D67-9171-F829D90676C0.jpeg
    842D8666-5100-4D67-9171-F829D90676C0.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 52
There are some HUGE bulls in that area... Looks like they got a big one for sure.

Wow!

I've never even applied for a tag in that area of southeast Washington. It takes a lot of points to draw the tag, but the bulls are huge there.

The governor's tag? LOL! I'd have to be much more well-off financially than I am to even try for that. :) But it's a great way for the state to get money for elk conservation, habitat preservation, etc... I hope they use it well.

Regards, Guy

Don‘t know the details yet; story line is a bunch of guys new this bull was on the Washington side of the Walla Walla unit. South east corner of Washington, NE corner of Oregon. They are Oregon guys. Pooled their money and bought a governors tag. Hunted the bull for 19 days before killing him. This story has not been verified but I’ve heard it from a couple of guys who probably would know. Green score 460 and change
Some huge bulls have come from that area, and just across the border in Oregon as well.

I've never hunted that area... Probably should have.

Guy

I’ve hunted the area, Oregon side, most of my life. Killed my first bull in there when I was 12. Since about 1990 its been a draw unit for spikes with a small allocation for big bulls. Took me 18 years to draw the big bull tag. I can normally draw the spike tag because very few people are willing to go in there for a spike.

The governor's tag? LOL! I'd have to be much more well-off financially than I am to even try for that.
Not familiar with that. Is that one of the pay to play schemes? Just curious what the cost is.

Don’t think its a scheme, but it is a very impressive amount of money for the fish and wildlife departments. In Oregons top three big bull units the tags have gone for as much as 100,000 us. Even with that in each of Oregons big three units some guy still wearing Filson wool, packing a Pre 64 model 70 in 06 shoots a bull pushing 400, after applying for close to 20 years.
I’ve only been in on the Washington side twice, just to look around, I don’t think the elk know there is a state line in there. They obviously go back and forth.
I’ve never been worried about one tag going for big money, hell, if I win a lottery I’d probably bid on the tag every year because I know the ground and know what is in there.
Regardless what the opinion is of buying a hunt like that, those boys worked their butts off just to get a shot at him. Every year I’ve hunted in there I’ve run into guys up on the road with a big bull tag. They are there looking and hoping that one walks down the road because they are not going down there, even with what amounts to a once in a lifetime tag. Actually a number of them went in a ways opening day and were simply glad they made it out.

According to my outfitter in Utah, hunters are paying more than $50K just for Gov tags for mule deer. If you want to hunt where there is the potential of harvesting a record book trophy you've got to pay for the privilege. He told me guys do it every year and shoot great trophies that come within inches of breaking the record. Gov tags for other critters go for a lot more.

The good thing is that all of that money is supposed to go into the Conservation Fund to help manage all wildlife.

Last edited:
Things are much easier (and cheaper here) walk in sporting store plop down $24 and walk out with my deer license. 😁
Well, "over the counter" or online, I buy deer, bear and elk tags every year here in Washington.

Then there are the "special" hunts... Those I have to apply for...

Guy

Likewise; Deer, elk, cougar and bear are all available OTC or in more limited entry draw hunts. Antelope, Bighorn Sheep and mountain goat are long odds draw hunts. We can’t hunt woofs in Oregon.

Back