New Reloader

Elkman

Handloader
Apr 4, 2010
This fall for my birthday my wife bought me a Lyman Turret Press. I have been reloading for approximately 55 years, using a Herters C- type press, which I will keep, but I really wanted something faster for pistol ammo. I have always used a plastic spoon to meter powder and measured every load,with a scale, and loaded them all singly. With three hunting seasons and two major holiday's since my birthday, I have not had the time to try out my new toy. So today while resting between sets on the Bow-flex I set up the press on the end of my bench. I read the manual while on the treadmill, and was all set up and ready to go. I did not have any pistol cases to load but did have some .308's for load development. The first thing I installed was the powder measure. I have had this a long time, and had used it a few times, but it did not meter, H-4831 well, so I had put it back into the original box for later use. After the measure came the de-capping die, which would not fit in the hole because I had installed the measure to close to the turret. So I changed this and was able to screw in the bullet seating die as well. I then set the dies according to the instructions. As I was checking how easily and accurately the turret moved from one station to the other when I broke off the decapping pin by turning the turret 360 degrees. I removed the die, replaced the pin readjusted, grabbed some primers and powder and was almost ready. I took an old case and ran it through the decapping die, and then attempted to move the turret around to the seating die, in order to seat the primer. I then broke off the second decapping pin, because I had the seating die on the wrong side of the shell holder mouth. So I replaced a second pin, and moved everything in the correct order. Now it was time to adjust the powder measure, I was using RL-15 which metered really nice. I turned the adjustment out a few turns and placed the pan from my 505 scale under the tube and dumped my first load of powder. As I did not have the pan under the measure hole ( but against the front edge) an unknown amout of RL-15 went cascading down, through and around the ram into the primer catcher compartment. After cleaning up this mess, and being much more careful in placing the pan I was able to adjust the scale for the correct load. NOW, I am ready to load, I decapped my first case, turned the turret to an empty hole, and seated the primer. It went in really hard and crinkled one side. So I rechecked the arm, got a flash light and shined it thru the ram, and everything looked great so I tried again. This time I removed the shell holder and found 4 grains of RL-15 squashed against the seam that captures the rim of the case, it was inhibiting the case from fully seating into the shell holder, and lining up with the primer seater. I cleaned them out and was again ready to go. So I deprimed, and neck sized the case, primed it, moved it under the measure and dumped the powder, I visually inspected, the powder charge, grabbed a bullet, seated it into the mouth of the case with my fingers, and rammed into the mouth of the powder measure. (Old habits die hard). Luckily it was not seated in very far and I was able to pull it back without anything bad happening. I then dumped the powder out of the case, and ran the case back through the neck sizer, again (without the punch) to dress up the slight wrinkle in the neck. Added powder and seated the bullet using the seating die. A much smoother operation. So after many long min, I was able to load (1) round using my new press. I did not actually track the time, but I am sure that I could have loaded several rounds during that time in my single stage press. I am thinking that it will go much better next, time, and I am thankful for the gift.

That is why I use IMR 7828 SSC, now IMR 4831 has an SSC cut powder as well. Great improvement Bill, with the SSC. I do not have a turret, just a RCBS Rockchucker for 50 years.

Sounds similar to my learning curve with my Lee turret press....I didn't break anything, but it took a minute to get the kinks out.

This would make a good video. :)
I've been there and still visit Mr Murphy often. You have greater perseverance than I for I would've given up long before you did. It is a very thoughtful gift and one that I'm sure you will use often. Learning curves are just that, the place to iron the kinks out, and figure out what's going on. I'll bet you'll be acing the bloody contraption by the time I get to Phoenix.
Do a before and after video and I'll bet you'll even amaze yourself once you get used to the new press.
You should've seen me on my new single stage. Went from a Lee to a Coax. You wouldn't think there's a learning curve on a single stage but I'm here to tell you there is!

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Holy smokes, I could picture the story as you told it. I have cramps I'm laughing so hard!

One of the problems with changing our routine is that we manage to screw things up. Great account, Bill. No doubt you left out some of the aggravation that accompanies that learning curve. It does give me smiles, because I can relate.

That was an awesome story! We must remember to be able to laugh at ourselves, and if we cannot, we must share our stories with others so they can laugh for us!

Great story Bill. Hilarious, but laughing with you not at you. Seems like exactly what happens to me when I get a new toy. Problem, problem, problem, ahhhhh fixed. :grin:
Awesome gift. Bet you'll be able to crank them out in no time. That will be terrific for loading up some pistol rounds as you can go through a bunch of those in a hurry.
Thanks for the enjoyment!

Thank you guys, after the frustration went away, I thought, what a great story to share with my friends on Nosler. I know that I will become more proficient with it as time goes on.

Same here, when I first set up my Dillon. Small flaky pistol power is hard to clean up after you dump a case full into the moving parts, especially the primer feed.

I've cleaned up more than a few powder spills. It keeps us humble. Again, great account, Bill. I was right there with you.

Dang that sounded like fun. Maybe I'll send you a Dillon square deal B for your pistol loading and then the real fun will begin. :lol:

truck driver":1apkb6wp said:
Dang that sounded like fun. Maybe I'll send you a Dillon square deal B for your pistol loading and then the real fun will begin. :lol:
You are an evil and twisted soul. [emoji106]
That's why I like you. [emoji6]

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Good show Bill.
Awesome gift from your bride too.
I'm sure you will have it mastered in no time.

JD338

sask boy":3f4arpim said:
Bill, I think most of us have done something similar to that in our day :)!

Blessings,
Dan
Dan I don't know about you but I've done worse. And I won't talk about it either down right embarrassing.

Back