New Sierra Game Changers

Nimrod84

Handloader
Feb 20, 2017
Hi Guys,

I'm seeing a good amount of new to me Sierra Game Changers on the Sierra website - 2 new weights in 30 cal, 2 new weights in 7mm, 1 new weight in 6.5mm etc. But I'm not seeing a press release, expected market date, reports of field tests or other data on them.

Has anyone heard or seen anything on the new GC's? If I've missed the boat, please share the info!

The 6.5mm 140 grain has my rapt attention - https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/6 ... 40-gr-tgk/

The 7mm 165 grain has my interest as well - https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/7 ... 65-gr-tgk/. The lack of reloading data for that bullet weight, along with my use being in 280 Rem and AI, makes me a little less gun-ho on it.

Thank you.

Edited to make clear I'm not asking about Game Changers in general, but the new weights. I have over 500 of the 130 grain 6.5mm from 2020 and I love-em.

The 7mm 165gr game changers aren't new for 2021, I've got a box of 100 on my bench shelf. I haven't shot them yet but plan on using them in my 280AckImp. Ill likely start with Reloader 23 , 26, H1000, or IMR 7977 and I'll be using data for a 168gr pill to start.

Supposedly Sierra is releasing a 140gr Gamechanger that would be good to use in the 280AckImp, 7x57, or 7mm08 and I am anxiously awaiting them to be available for purchase.

FWIW, the 130gr. 264 Gamechanger is a fantastic bullet and so far the performance has been top notch with 2 deer kills, both bang flop, and 1 of those was a frontal shot where the bullet traveled the entire length of the deer. The bullet expanded to a whopping .639" and still weighed 86.8gr while the core and jacket did not separate.

Thank you 6.5.

I took the 6.5mm 130 grain out to 1000+ yards a few times and took a buck last year with them as well. Absolutely love the bullet, but would like to try the 6.5mm 140 grain supposedly coming out. I've got primers, but since they aren't replaceable right now, I'm torn between loading up the 130's I have on hand or waiting for the 140's which might not show up... Winter in MI is my load development / production loading time.

Given the 130gr performance, I'm looking at their other offerings to see where they might fit. Given the lack of a press release on the new bullet weights, I'm not sure if they have or even will hit shelves. I'm concerned that they might be vaporware for a few years as they can't even keep up with demand of established products.

So if you have any info on if they are actually planning on manufacturing the new weights, I would love to know.

You are correct on the 165 grain 7mm, the 150gr was / is a new offering I hadn't seen before. I had them reversed. The 150 grain 7mm looks to have a better BC than the 160 gr AB, so I'm interested in trying it out in the 280 AI. I'm not sure what the 150 grain GC is offering compared to the 154gr SST or any of the 150-168gr AB / ABLR.

The 165gr 7mm is offering great BC for the price, so I understand its purpose / market. My 280 AI has a pretty short magazine and throat so I suspect the 165gr GC wouldn't work well for me. The 160gr AB length seems to be near the upper limit for what works magazine / throat / powder capacity / etc... The 150 grain Swift Sirocco II do not fit.

I've been trying to get my hands on the 165 grain 30 cal since September of last year to no-avail. I'm running down to about 100 165 grain Core-Lokts that I use in several 30-06's and I need to come-up with a new bullet. The 150 grain SST factory seconds do not cut it - good price, but the accuracy across rifles just isn't where I could get the 165gr Core-Lokts.

I’ve been wanting to try these out in .257. I got a feeling they’ll work real good in the .257 Roberts and the .25-06 I have hanging out in the safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you Possum.

I had seen it, I used that data with my 6.5 Creedmoor. Do you happen to know what the color coding means? I took dark green as preferred, green as good and yellow as workable but not ideal.

The MidSouth pdf actually differs a bit from what is on the Sierra website - https://sierrabullets.files.wordpress.c ... d-data.jpg. There is a difference of 1.2 grain grain of Varget. Sierra has said the use of the TMK is an okay base for the TGK aka Game Changer. To quote from the comment section at https://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/201 ... echangers/

"I see load data for the 130 gr .264 TMK on the site but not for the TGK 130 gr .264. 6.5 creedmoor cartridge

duanesierra says:
January 4, 2019 at 11:21 am

The data and OAL are the same."

Wasn't sure if I should double post or edit the OP... Figured DP would function better.

MidwayUSA is stating that the new GC are coming soon / overdue - so hopefully they will be shipping soon. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020546838

The original priced GC were about 30-35 cents, these look to have jumped up to 50 cents... The price jump and limited ability to restock the bullets (I'm not sure that I want to purchase 100, arrive at a good load and not be able to get any more; and I'm not sure I want to spend $250 to grab 500 of an untested bullet.) and primers might make me defer a purchase.

Thanks again guys!

Nimrod84; I would be inclined to think that what you say about the color codes makes sense. But that's just a guess on my part. Thanks for the extra links, I hadn't seen them

I have been down the new bullet path numerous times, the Speer GS, the TSX, the TTSSXX, the Game King, but I always go back to the PT, or the newer AB. They have worked for me for decade after decade, and have no interest in changing, Besides when you already have an inventory, new components cost money., I know that sometimes NEW, can be better, but not often and most end up as a sales gimmick as do most new cartridges.

Elkman,

No argument. I'm not interested in new and shinny things. I use both the PT and AB in my 280's and 30-06's for non-MI hunting and sometimes MI hunting. Parents are UT residents and my father and I try to do a western hunt every two years.

I like to have two totally distinct loads per rifle / caliber in case I can't find a given manufacturers bullet, brass, powder... As such I usually have a premium load (PT and or AB) and a cheap steel / MI doe load.

280's run 160gr AB and usually 154 grain SST's. Best 5 round group I've ever shot was with the 160 grain AB's.

6.5 Creedmoor, I only got around to developing a 130 grain Gamechanger load for it. It works great and I have about 550 bullets laid up. I really wanted to experiment with some heavier weight bullets though. Last year I started shooting out past 500 yards and the 130's were marginal past 1100 yards and wind really seems to affect them past 800-900 yards.

I'm running low on my 30 cal 165grain Cor-Lokts that I got 500 for $45 at Cabela's. I have a common load for 3 30-06's with that bullet, and would like to develop another cheap common load if possible. 150 grain SST's aren't cutting it and I think a 165 grain plastic tipped cup and core is worth looking into.

Back