New to me fireforming method

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
Back in the '90s, I tried to fire form some 280 Rem cases to 338/280 wildcat rifle I had made. I was having difficulty just necking up the cases as they were the nickel plated Remington. I lost a lot of cases from split necks, flaked nickel coating. I tried half a case of Red dot, and tamped a cotton ball on top of it. It formed the cases, but the case mouths were almost always uneven. I eventually converted the rifle to 338 winmag.

For years, I fire formed my 35 Whelen AI cases by loading a speer 220 into the lands, over a moderate charge of medium powder ( whatever I had on hand, from R19 to 4895) It worked swell, and I used the rounds for practice. I still didn't like putting bullets down the barrel though. The other day, I was ready to fire form some more cases, and I did more research ( internet) and I ended up using CCI Magnum primers ( old lot) a scoop of Blue Dot (15grs) with 1/4 sheet of TP tamped on it. Filled the case to 1/8 of the mouth with cornmeal ( I had no Cream of wheat) and plugged the mouth with wax. They formed beautifully! I also necked up some new Nosler 30.06 cases up to 35 through my Hornady standard Whelen dies. I raised the expander ball up almost into the shoulder area to get the most support. These cases ended up with a slight bulge at the neck/shoulder junction and made a slight crush fit. I loaded these cases with the Remington 200 PSP, seated/crimped a little below the cannelure and H4895. I was trying for 358 velocities. I couldn't chrono ( too man folks at the range) but 47grs shot very well, and the cases fire formed perfectly, no shiny ring at the case head since the bulge held the case tight. More perfect cases. I am going to try some Hornady 250RN around 2300 and see what kind of accuracy I get. I'm after a woods/close range load for deer/hogs. Will also try the Speer 220s around 2300 too.

When I fireformed for my 30-06 AI I used a 130 spitzer with a max load of unique. Barrel never heated up and I can get 50 F/F in a couple of minutes

Jim, that sounds pretty interesting. I would think saving the barrel some without actually shooting the bullets through it is a good thing on a hot shooter as well.

Any pictures of the 35 Improved?

I do the pistol powder/cream of wheat fireforming for both of my 243 AIs. 13gr of Unique, then fill with cream of wheat to the neck/shoulder area, and plug mouth with a cleaning patch.

Back