New X-Caliber 7mm Remington Magnum Barrel

Joec7651

Handloader
Apr 7, 2019
Just received the new barrel for my 783 in 7mm RM from X-Caliber. Beautiful barrel, consistently finished throughout. Exterior finish is on par with the bore and chamber. It's 26" in length, #5 heavy sporter contour, it has a .010" larger muzzle diameter(.670") than the Remington mag sporter contour. Chambered for 7mm RM, 1:8 5R button rifled, 11 degree crown, hand lapped after boring and honing, finish lapped after rifling, then stress relieved in a nitrogen purged heat treat oven. I hope it shoots as great as it looks.

My initial loads will be 3.325" COAL with 175gr ELD-X's .010" off the lands. Tight chamber, and the max cartridge length touching the lands is 3.335" according to a Hornady comparitor OAL gauge. Short throat.

1st photo is the case to shoulder transition in the chamber, 2nd is the throat, 3rd is the rifling, and 4th is the crown(there isn't a ridge at the muzzle that's reflection) as seen through my bore scope. I purposely chose the 4 spots that could be even remotely seen as an imperfection.

Now out to the garage to install and headspace on the action. I'll take another photo once it's installed, relieve the stock for barrel clearance if needed, and the action is bedded. Have to wait for the AC to cool it off out there first.WIN_20200731_11_53_54_Pro.jpgWIN_20200731_11_52_05_Pro.jpgWIN_20200731_11_53_08_Pro.jpgWIN_20200731_11_54_22_Pro.jpg

Not the greatest pictures but you can get an idea of its looks. I didn’t know how I’d like the contrast of the stainless barrel with the blued receiver but I think I like it. Thinking about Duracoating it in bronze or titanium. Still undecided on that.

Headspace is set so the bolt face is touching the Forster Go gauge but without resistance when it cams. Bolt bottoms on the NoGo (also Forster) gauge immediately and won’t cam at all. I still need to inlet the stock for more clearance, then bed it. Put a Burris Fullfield II 4.5x14x42 and BDC reticle on, almost had to get taller rings, ended up with about 1/16" clearance at the bell. Added a larger bolt handle. I also hydro dipped the stock in Strata Camo but I’m going to redo it. There are a few spots that I messed up. I can do better.

I haven’t fired a round from the rifle yet. Bought it about 8-9 months ago and decided it would be a project. I wouldn’t have been lucky enough for it to shoot poorly and It would have messed up my plans. On the bright side, I have an unfired 7mm RM barrel for it or something else.

It still balances nicely on the shoulder. I can’t tell a difference in weight. I’m sure the longer and slightly heavier barrel made a little difference but it’s not noticeable. I’ll make room in the stock and bed it tomorrow. The wife thawed Ribeyes for supper and I need to fire up the charcoal. Starving to death thinking about it.E1B74E1D-F5BE-43F1-97C6-3E6DD37F40F6.jpegBF5F991D-0B60-4424-A845-C1B158B5E03F.jpeg

Looks really good, can't wait to see how it shoots those long 175 gr ELD-X bullets!

You're going to love it. I have one on my 22 creed 7 rpm. Shoots crazy

Nice looking rifle and the dip job looks good also. Be waiting to see how it groups for you. Dan.

Soft spot in my heart for a good 7mm Rem Mag and long, heavy 175 gr bullets.

A 175 Nosler Partition brought me a mighty fine bull elk years ago. Am hoping that you have a great rifle on your hands here. It certainly looks good.

Guy

Guy Miner":8e783oct said:
Soft spot in my heart for a good 7mm Rem Mag and long, heavy 175 gr bullets.

A 175 Nosler Partition brought me a mighty fine bull elk years ago. Am hoping that you have a great rifle on your hands here. It certainly looks good.

Guy

For danged sure. That was what got me into a 7 Rem Mag for my first rifle and ultimately put me onto the 7mm Mashburn Super. A 175 Partition started out around 2900 or better really is alot of darned cartridge for any hunting I have some across.

I think it was an old Ross Seyfried article that convinced me that the 7mm Rem Mag was about all the cartridge most hunters could handle, and about all that was necessary for most hunting.

Well, that and one of Dad's buddies took a good grizzly with a 7mm Weatherby Mag...

My two favorite rounds are the 45-70 and 7mm RM. As far as my feelings go for the 7mm RM, I suppose it’s because it has always been easy for me to get great accuracy with the cartridge. I can’t really tell any difference between my 7mm’s and my 30-06 as far as recoil is concerned. I love firing them, and enjoy the recoil pulse when the trigger is squeezed. I also have complete confidence in its performance. If the crosshairs were on target when it fires, then that’s where the bullet went. I also have no doubt as to the bullets effect when it gets there. There’s nothing I’ll ever need it to do that it wouldn’t be up to the task.

1100 Remington Man":3uz60nqy said:
You will have to post some groups when you have a chance. Should serve you well, very nice rifle.
I haven’t been able to get to the range with the new barrel yet. Hopefully tomorrow. At least that’s the plan.

Made it to the range for break in of the new barrel, and the replacement TC Compass. I didn’t put together loads for each rifle. I fired 140gr BT’s, and 160gr Hot Cor’s in the TC, and the same loads for the new 1:8 barrel with the addition of the 175gr ELD-X.

They were upper middle loads I put together for break in and to get a rough idea of their potential, they both shot well. They were both below an inch with all loads at 100 yds! The picture below is a 200 yard group from the new X-Caliber barrel with the 175gr ELD-X. I didn’t measure it but it looks to be at or a little under 1”. Average Velocity for the 3 shots was 2962 fps from the 26” barrel. I’m ecstatic that they both shot so great without working up a load for each! Neither copper fouled with the Tubdust. I don’t doubt that they both will get better once I work on the loads. It was almost 90 degrees, and with having to be in the sun I didn’t push them. It was all but impossible to keep the barrels even somewhat cool.835CFF2B-C7BA-4526-B3D4-0A96DBCFD245.jpeg

Less than 1/2 MOA at 200 yards, you're off to a great start! Think it's gonna be a shooter for you.....

Joec7651":2sat5hhs said:
Made it to the range for break in of the new barrel, and the replacement TC Compass. I didn’t put together loads for each rifle. I fired 140gr BT’s, and 160gr Hot Cor’s in the TC, and the same loads for the new 1:8 barrel with the addition of the 175gr ELD-X.

They were upper middle loads I put together for break in and to get a rough idea of their potential, they both shot well. They were both below an inch with all loads at 100 yds! The picture below is a 200 yard group from the new X-Caliber barrel with the 175gr ELD-X. I didn’t measure it but it looks to be at or a little under 1”. Average Velocity for the 3 shots was 2962 fps from the 26” barrel. I’m ecstatic that they both shot so great without working up a load for each! Neither copper fouled with the Tubdust. I don’t doubt that they both will get better once I work on the loads. It was almost 90 degrees, and with having to be in the sun I didn’t push them. It was all but impossible to keep the barrels even somewhat cool.
I’m sorry it was 2941 fps with the ELD-X. I looked at my notes From today and I misstated the velocity. Still below book max charge with RL-25. I don’t need it any faster, but will play with the charge and seating depth to see if I can close the group any. It’s pleasant to shoot at this velocity though. Also the group was with the Magnetospeed chrono on the barrel. It caused the POI to move a little to the right.

Back