Noah is Looking for a Rifle

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Well, I told Noah (my grandson) that he could pick any one of my rifles for his own. I will ensure that he receives it as soon as he completes his PAL (Possession and Acquisition Licence) when he turns eighteen. He has been all over the map trying to decide which rifle would work for him. He tried the BLR in 358 Win (he really liked it) and the Model 94 in .307 Win (thought it was pretty Skookum as well). He liked shooting the 8X68S and the 358 Norma Magnum, primarily because he discovered that he could handle them. He even like the 9.3X64 Brenneke. Again, that was primarily because he was able to handle it. He likes the 270WSM, but not enough to select it. He was hammering me on Sunday to go to the range today so he could shoot the 280 Ross and a few other rifles to help make up his mind. It was -15C, but we went. Hey, anytime a 15-year-old boy wants to go to the range, we'll manage to go. At his suggestion, we took the 1905 Ross (.303), the 325 WSM and the 338 Federal. He came home with a new appreciate for the 338 Federal. He thought the 325 WSM had more recoil than he cared to handle on a regular basis. The old .303 piqued his interest, but he wants to hold off until he has had an opportunity to shoot the 280 Ross. Unfortunately, I didn't have any ammunition loaded for it, so it will have to wait for another trip to the range.

In any case, he is getting pretty good at handling these firearms. He is comfortable with the recoil and not put off even thought they are (mostly) for right-hand shooters.

Here are a few pictures of the young man shooting in the cold.

Noah with the 325 WSM.

The 338 Federal was his favourite cartridge today.

I'm going to mess around and be one rifle short in a couple of years.

Later, we went over to the handgun range and shot the 45 ACP and the 22 LR. He does enjoy burning through my ammunition supply. He decided that we must bring the AR15 on the next trip.

Very cool that you're going to give him a rifle Mike.

He must be quite a fine young man.

Guy

That young lad is growing nicely. A lever gun is lefty friendly but it will be interesting to see what he goes with. I would imagine he had fun shooting the big boomer's a bit, all of us when we were young probably thought the same. Does he still shoot his 260 Rem?

He has named the 260 Rem "Veronica." He loves the rifle and will never get rid of her. I'm kinda pulling for him to select a lever gun, but trying to be as neutral as possible. Actually, I'd be willing to build him another left-handed rifle chambered in a cartridge he wants and which complements his 260 Rem. However, he's thinking in terms of something from his grandpa's safe, I think. This project started with him asking if I would ensure that I left him something.

I can see that he would want one of the guns you have history with, it will be a most fascinating decision. It is very kind of you to pass something on to him, his 260 sounds like he will have for the rest of his days which is neat.

That's great DrMike. New Years eve my oldest grandson asked me to take him to the range and teach him to shoot the next time I take his younger brother. Seems he's interested in getting a hand gun for protection when he gets old enough to purchase one and has looked to me for training which I will be more than glad to help him.

Nice Mike. I'm sure you guys will come to a meeting of the minds. If I am not mistaken, don't you have a .280 Remington he could try out???

David

6mm Remington":2vuq75w2 said:
Nice Mike. I'm sure you guys will come to a meeting of the minds. If I am not mistaken, don't you have a .280 Remington he could try out???

David

David, I have two .280 Remingtons. He has shot them both, but indicated no particular interest in either.

I think that young man is looking to fling heavy bullets :lol: I'm sure we can all relate.......

That's awesome Mike. He does look right at home with that 338 Federal!

You have some incredibly great rifles (I mean, most of them are Big Red's) and some really cool chamberings. The 358 Norma, Federal and Brenneke and a few I've probably forgotten.

I hope he get the Norma.... :lol:

Well, if we're hoping, I'm hoping for the 9.3 but that may be a little much yet for him on a regular shooting basis. :grin: (or a lever, can't go wrong there either)
Doc, that's a fine thing you're doing with him; the mentoring, shooting and gifting. Really fine.

AHhh did anyone notice that there was no mention of the 35Whelen? I'll bet it's hid deep in the back of the safe. :roll: :lol: :lol: :grin:

Actually, he hasn't a great deal of interest in the 35 Whelen. He passed by it and went straight for the 358 Win when we were first looking. I've a feeling that we'll wind up finding a cartridge he likes and then build him a left-handed rifle in that cartridge. His little sister is suddenly so lady-like that she goes "Ewwwwwe" whenever we talk about hunting. We'll have to work with her some.

It matters not what rifle he chooses as he will cherish it and keep it in good condition all the days of his life. To me what stands out far more than which rifle he chooses is the man giving him the rifle. Not just "a" rifle that he bought and gave to him, although there is certainly nothing wrong with that, but the giving up of a rifle from his own personal collection., Well done Dr Mike, well done indeed!

DrMike said:
Actually, he hasn't a great deal of interest in the 35 Whelen. He passed by it and went straight for the 358 Win when we were first looking.

Very smart young man, I am sure he will choose the lever ---sorry Dr Mike, could not resist.

I am not the only one with a great grandfather, Noah is a very lucky young man, as is his sister, who will be also following in her brother and grandfathers footsteps

I'm certainly enjoying the opportunity to spoil these grandchildren. We lived away from them for so many years. It is like a gift in my old age to have them here. Sara delights to come over each Sunday to spend time with my wife cooking and going positively domestic. Noah enjoys going out with his Pa and shooting guns and walking through the mountains. Zach enjoys reading and working with his computer. Yeah, guess who is the resident IT for him.

Great thread DrMike. The young man looks to have very good form, he must have an excellent teacher. That is what grandparents are for, to spoil their grandchildren then send to home to their parents.

Look forward to seeing what he chooses. Whichever he chooses he will definitely cherish it the rest of his life.

DrMike, everytime I see Noah he looks to have thickened out more his shoulders look to start at his elbows :shock: he is a fine Lad and I know that he loves his Pa :wink:.
Not interested in the 35 Whelen I think I will have to give him a call and explain the virtues of this fine calibre :mrgreen:!
Anyways any rifle he picks I know he will cherish it because it was Pa's.
Cheyenne Hmmmm :eek: I believe that once you own a Whelen you will come over to the our way of thinking it is just a matter of time :lol:

Blessings,
Dan

Talk him into a 356 Win!.....because you have more than one! LOL

FOTIS":3ppl7mf0 said:
Talk him into a 356 Win!.....because you have more than one! LOL

I still have three. Can you believe he is more interested in getting a .307 Win? I did try to push him toward a .356, explaining that I can verify that it works well on moose, elk, black bear, mule deer and grizzly. :?

Back