North Idaho Mountain Goat hunt prep

maverick2

Handloader
Dec 22, 2013
Went out the last two mornings and did some scouting for my mountain goat tag. I've knocked around the area (northeast of Priest Lake, just south of the Canadian border) all my life, but never hunted it much nor looked at it seriously for hunting. Cool country -- steep and deep. (As I was driving into one of the areas, it was easier for me to scan the mountainsides thru the sunroof of my pickup rather than crane my neck enough to look up and out the side window.) Here are a few pics of the country and goats. It's going to take a bit to calibrate my eyes for judging goats, but the billie in the last two pics is built like a tank, and has the biggest horns of any I've seen to date.

SANY0256.jpg

SANY0255.jpg

SANY0251.jpg

SANY0245_1.jpg

SANY0264.jpg

SANY0267.jpg

Nice pictures of some beautiful country looking on a map you would be pretty close to Creston. It looks like you won't have too much trouble seeing goats, in time you should be able to find a good billy in a spot you can get to him. You are going to have some fun, it ill be tough but fun :)

Excellent prospects lie ahead. This should be a very good hunt for you.

gerry":2b6y92l6 said:
Nice pictures of some beautiful country looking on a map you would be pretty close to Creston. It looks like you won't have too much trouble seeing goats, in time you should be able to find a good billy in a spot you can get to him. You are going to have some fun, it ill be tough but fun :)

Aaaahhhhh, Creston -- home to the Kokanee brewery. I'm targeting an area along the spine of the Selkirks that is about equidistant between the south end of Priest Lake and Creston.

Wow. That's awesome! Please share more pictures of your hunt when it happens. Best of luck

Goat hunting is addictive, so be careful! There is something very satisfying and self gratifying in harvesting a mountain goat. Beautiful country, breathtaking views and a sense of accomplishment in conquering the mountain and harvesting a magnificent animal that can only be realized once accomplished.

Have fun and be safe! Enjoy your adventure!

So far I'm having a ball scouting for goats. I'm usually finding goats whenever I go out, and quite a few give me a pretty good opportunity to sit and watch. Found a pair of mature billies last weekend and watched one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time from about 300 yards. One of the two goats was approaching his prime (big, heavily muscled with thick heavy horns -- reminds me of a football lineman the way he moves) and the second is past his prime (big, but moves and looks like an old man). They were both heading for the same rock shelf -- the old one plodding straight along with the younger one bumping, jostling, and generally roughing him up along the way (nothing serious, but intentionally making himself a pain -- particularly on the path they were on as every missed step caused a scramble and a lot more work). As they got to the shelf and the old man picked his spot to lay down, the younger one decided he'd challenge for that spot and got a little more aggressive. That little maneuver was all it took for the old man to lose his cool -- he gave zero warning but for the next 30 seconds beat that younger billie like a drum. Kept the younger billie off balance for the full time, alternating between slamming the younger one into the rock wall and stopping just short of pushing him off the cliff. Over and over and over. (Was a lot like watching a professional boxer toying with a young cocky novice -- could have ended it at any time but kept it going to teach a lesson.) When done, there was no question in anybody's mind (old man, younger billie, or mine) who owned that mountain. Watched them for another half hour, and the best way to describe the younger billie was subservient and intimidated.

Very funny. I seem to remember something about age and deception defeating youth and strength every time. :mrgreen:

maverick2":vhvz2381 said:
So far I'm having a ball scouting for goats. I'm usually finding goats whenever I go out, and quite a few give me a pretty good opportunity to sit and watch. Found a pair of mature billies last weekend and watched one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time from about 300 yards. One of the two goats was approaching his prime (big, heavily muscled with thick heavy horns -- reminds me of a football lineman the way he moves) and the second is past his prime (big, but moves and looks like an old man). They were both heading for the same rock shelf -- the old one plodding straight along with the younger one bumping, jostling, and generally roughing him up along the way (nothing serious, but intentionally making himself a pain -- particularly on the path they were on as every missed step caused a scramble and a lot more work). As they got to the shelf and the old man picked his spot to lay down, the younger one decided he'd challenge for that spot and got a little more aggressive. That little maneuver was all it took for the old man to lose his cool -- he gave zero warning but for the next 30 seconds beat that younger billie like a drum. Kept the younger billie off balance for the full time, alternating between slamming the younger one into the rock wall and stopping just short of pushing him off the cliff. Over and over and over. (Was a lot like watching a professional boxer toying with a young cocky novice -- could have ended it at any time but kept it going to teach a lesson.) When done, there was no question in anybody's mind (old man, younger billie, or mine) who owned that mountain. Watched them for another half hour, and the best way to describe the younger billie was subservient and intimidated.

I really hope you find that big old boy again when you are actually hunting, he sounds like the king of the mountain. They are tough animals, a friend saw one fighting a grizzly one time and it was able to hold his own. Even got some of it on video.

gerry":1k6iwpu4 said:
I really hope you find that big old boy again when you are actually hunting, he sounds like the king of the mountain. They are tough animals, a friend saw one fighting a grizzly one time and it was able to hold his own. Even got some of it on video.

Yeah, he's a keeper. As much as I'd like to go back in and keep looking at him, I'm inclined to leave that bunch of goats alone now until after the season starts so I don't make them overly nervous by continually showing up. (I'd REALLY like a shot at him.) Will spend my time between now and then scouting a few more drainages and looking at other goats.

It was very interesting to see how fast that goat went from docile to violent fighting mad -- the folks along the heavily used trails that are hand-feeding goats that have become accustomed to hand-outs would think twice if they saw that.

It sure sound like you are in for a real exciting trip (y), I am looking forward to more photographs and a story in the near future.
Have Fun, Shoot straight and most of all be Safe!!!

Blessings,
Dan

Back