Nosler .300 Win. Mag. Brass issues

.300winmag

Handloader
Oct 17, 2011
Have to fireform 50 pieces of Nosler Brass because it shoots like crap virgin. it's out of spec for OAL by .004" (2.596" is what this brass measures) trim to length is 2.610" and sammi min is 2.600. The primer pocket depth is barely in by a few tenths of a thou. My primer pockets measure .1238" and specs are .123-.136, but I can't even seat a primer flush with the case head without cutting 6 thou out of the case. A Fed215M primer measures .1294" in thickness. The pic of the shavings is after doing 9 cases. Mike at Nosler said it's good enough tho :roll: didn't bother measuring anything else, but it wouldn't shock me if other dimensions are out or near the limit. Won't be buying Nosler Brass again, as this is the second set of cases I've gotten that have issues, and the second time I've talked to Nosler about it and got told out of sammi spec brass is okay by Nosler standards. "Fully Prepped, Ready to load" hmmm....

So not only is the brass expensive to begin with, I have the added cost of hours prepping it, gas to the range, Bullets, powder and barrel life to fire form it so it groups decent.

Attachments

• IMG_3658.JPG
    IMG_3658.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,956
  • IMG_3660.JPG
    IMG_3660.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,956
  • IMG_3661.JPG
    IMG_3661.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,956
  • IMG_3666.JPG
    IMG_3666.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,956
Ouch! That's a disappointment. I've found the primer pockets to be an issue on 260 Rem brass produced by Nosler. However, both .280 Rem and 7 RM bass were excellent. Generally, I just buy Norma or Lapua and call it good, however.

I had issues with virgin Nosler brass not being able to chamber / chamber very tight in the 7STW and 7 Mag last year. The rep from Nosler blames my rifles when my rifles have chambered thousands of virgin and fired Remington and Norma brass without a problem. The only thing I like about Nosler is their bullets. I depend on Lapua and Norma brass for consistency and quality.

Trust me, if Lapua made Win Mag brass that's what I'd buy. I've ordered some RWS brass and also am going to get some Peterson when it's available. Nosler flat ticked me off with their response. They responded with a two line email with an incomplete sentence, to boot. I lost loads of respect for what I thought was reputable company. They've lost my business.

I had some of their 6.5 Creedmoor brass that was so tight even reaming it didn't help much. I haven't had any accuracy fall off with it though.

I've had issues with the primer pockets as well when using Nosler brass. IMO it's WAY over priced for the quality you get. I don't use Nosler brass any more.

Nosler's quality control went south when they acquired Silver State or at least that's when I started noticing problems with how my items were shipped in poorly packaged boxes with the items being damaged.
I know my purchases were seconds but the shipping QC really dropped off after Silver State took control of the shipping and what other things they might have been delegated to do. It has gotten better recently but still not on par with what we had become use to and expect from Nosler.

.300winmag, I am sorry to hear about the CS you received from Nosler :(. I never had any problem with their brass for my 280AI or the 270win.
Thank you for the heads up (y).

Blessings,
Dan

.300winmag":6oeqghc0 said:
Trust me, if Lapua made Win Mag brass that's what I'd buy. I've ordered some RWS brass and also am going to get some Peterson when it's available. Nosler flat ticked me off with their response. They responded with a two line email with an incomplete sentence, to boot. I lost loads of respect for what I thought was reputable company. They've lost my business.

I use a little Nosler brass for a few different cartridges. I bought 100 pieces of 300 Win in order to make into 7mm Mashburn. Had three pieces out of each box that were unusable and they were BRAND NEW FIRSTS. RWS brass is tougher than reinforced woodpecker lips and its consistent.

Soooo long story short, I'll use RWS, Lapua, Norma, Hornady or Winchester before I pay the premium for Nosler's brass.

My brass was also Nosler firsts. I've got 100 Peterson cases on the way now to. I'll report on how it is when I get them.

Attachments

• IMG_3668.JPG
    IMG_3668.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,849
You might want to call Nosler customer service. They should make it right for you.
Have them read this thread.

JD338

300WinMag, I purchased 100 pieces of Norma brass for my .300 Winny. I am happy with them. It shoots lights out, .2 to .3 MOA @ 300 yards with 180 Accubonds at 3,180 fps. Brass is consistent, and on 4th firing with tight pockets. Let me know how you liked the Petersons. Good luck.

JD338":2pggjvx7 said:
You might want to call Nosler customer service. They should make it right for you.
Have them read this thread.

JD338

Already spoke with Mike at Nosler's customer service. He gave me deminsions and a link to SAAMI specs. They had their chance to make things right and did nothing. Absolutely awful service. I replied to his email and asked him if what he was saying was out of tolerance brass is okay by Nosler standards, no response.

He dealt with me the same way when I had a bunch of Bullets that were much different than my next lot. It was ultra annoying. I still shoot a pot full of Nosler but that experience was very disappointing.

SJB358":5j9nv0nr said:
He dealt with me the same way when I had a bunch of Bullets that were much different than my next lot. It was ultra annoying. I still shoot a pot full of Nosler but that experience was very disappointing.

Scotty I've talked with him as well and it seems he treats everyone the same way, and it isn't good. Seems CS is not his strong suit.

I tried some with my .270Win and wasn't overly impressed. Using Hornady with my .300WM and quite impressed. Much more uniform primer pockets.

truck driver":nar9r4yf said:
Nosler's quality control went south when they acquired Silver State or at least that's when I started noticing problems with how my items were shipped in poorly packaged boxes with the items being damaged.
I know my purchases were seconds but the shipping QC really dropped off after Silver State took control of the shipping and what other things they might have been delegated to do. It has gotten better recently but still not on par with what we had become use to and expect from Nosler.

+1!

I had older Norma made Nosler brass for 7RM that averaged 216-218 grains. Also a old bucket full of Norma headstamp that weighs in same range.

Then buy new batch of Nosler expecting the same quality as past and Nosler brass weighed 256 grains. BIG change went down. Now just buy Norma and move on.

OU812":rbd5w6z0 said:
SJB358":rbd5w6z0 said:

Scotty I've talked with him as well and it seems he treats everyone the same way, and it isn't good. Seems CS is not his strong suit.

This was a few years ago but I'd bought a ton of Accubonds as 2nds, then I'd bought a few boxes of 1sts after. After shooting the newer Bullets my groups went south from a very accurate load. I measured them and the ogive was over .010" different. Maybe more, it's been a few years. He asked me to send 10 of them in so he could check them. Well, when he got them he said there should be no difference at all and kinda threw it on me that it was probably my shooting or something else. I let it go cause it wasn't worth the pissing match.

I never did get any of the Bullets back though. Again, not a huge deal since they have been good to me over the years and that was my only real run in.

Dwh7271":rbd5w6z0 said:
RWS brass is tougher than reinforced woodpecker lips and its consistent.
:lol: :lol:
Great way to say that! And I agree, their brass is silly good.

And yup, I'll pay extra for great brass these days. Costs a little more up front but it lasts longer, takes much less work to make it right and ultimately saves me time. Ends up being a bargain really.

Back