Nosler 9 Reloading Manual

Straight_Shooter

Straight_Shooter
Mar 25, 2021
I recently purchased the Nosler 9 Manual and 45ACP bullets for reloading. I have been reloading for a while using other manuals and noticed that the Nosler manual does not provide case trim dimensions for tested cartridges. Is there a reason for this omission?

I'm not sure I understand. There's a diagram showing the case length with every cartridge in the manual.
give a trim length
And, welcome to the forum!

Regards, Guy
Actually it gives Max SAAMI Case length in the drawing and states the tested COAL/COL - Cartridge (not Case) Overall Length. I have several Reloading manuals and most give a tested Case trim length.

Actually it gives Max SAAMI Case length in the drawing and states the tested COAL/COL - Cartridge (not Case) Overall Length.

Attachments

• Case Trim Nosler.jpeg
    Case Trim Nosler.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Case Trim Reload Data 1.jpeg
    Case Trim Reload Data 1.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 19
I only have Nosler 7, but the first page for each caliber has a picture and dimensions.

Attachments

• 9Luger.pdf
    281.2 KB · Views: 3
Just look at the onlin data for Nosler. Still shows 0.754" After reading the SAAMI diagram, it shows .754 as max case length can can be as short as .744. Chamber needs to be at least .754 and as much as .776
You can get the SAAMI on line

Last edited:
Copy and pasted from an article I read:

Q. I am confused in reloading .45 ACP. I read 0.898-inch is the maximum case length. I have never measured one that long. Some manuals say trim to 0.895, and some say trim to 0.893, but most of my once-fired cases are shorter than 0.890, though I have a large supply of 0.890-inch cases. What is confusing to me is that cases don't shrink when fired, and some cases are 0.890 after firing. Can I trim them all shorter than 0.893 to 0.890 without a problem?

A. We've never seen a .45 ACP case that needed trimming. The maximum case length according to industry standards is 0.898-inch with a tolerance of -0.010-inch. That means cases measuring 0.888 are still within standards. Some are even shorter with no ill effect. The minimum chamber length is also 0.898 with a positive tolerance of 0.004. This means there would hardly ever be a situation where the cartridge case would be long enough to touch the chamber shoulder, much less be too long. As long as your cases do not exceed 0.898, there is no cause for concern. Some say that a uniform case length is necessary for good accuracy, but my tests have shown that case length is not a factor.

If I consulted my reloading manuals, I could be proved wrong, but I'm not aware of any manual that gives the case length of the cartridge that they actually tested. As suggested, they all give you SAAMI spec or min and max case lengths, but not the specific case length that they have used during testing

I do recall certain older manuals that gave recommendations of trimming cases to certain lengths, most of which were. 0.010" shorter than the SAAMi spec for that particular cartridge. This may be the source of the OP's question.
I have also read articles written in magazines over the years that also advocated this practice to ensure mitigation of feeding/extraction issues when loading new brass, and then retrimming every so many reloadings.

Back