Nosler BT

TXbaldhunter

Handloader
May 12, 2007
Are all of the new Nosler BT made like the AccuBond?Pictured from left to right cross sectioned 1994 7mm 120gr BT,1994 7mm 150gr BT,2006 140gr. 7mm AccuBond and 2010 .308 168gr. BT.

Attachments

• Noslers 001.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,787
Nosler has made some improvements with the BT over the years. They are an excellent bullet these days and drop deer fast if you use the right bullet for the job and put it where it needs to go.

JD338

That 168gr BT looks like a pretty stout bullet. Is the 180gr BT the same? I agree with Jim, hard to go wrong with BT's and deer. Scotty

I've been a big fan of the ballistic tip for a long time. Generally very accurate, and excellent expansion! Those look good. Didn't realize Nosler had changed up the jacket so much.

Thanks for posting the photo.

Guy

Well I had some 180gr .308 Nosler BT,so to cure my curiosity,at least with the .308 BT's,I shaved one down to see.Looks just like an unbonded AccuBond to me.I just might have to try out those BT's again.I wasn't too fond of the old style,but these newer ones look purty darn good to me.

Attachments

• Noslers 005.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,687
I ca tell you that the latest version of the 308 cal 180 gr BT is a very robust bullet as you can see in the photo. Its more and adequate for elk.

JD338

Thanks Tex for the brighter picture!

JD, are you saying the 180 has the same jacket set-up as the 180?

Never mind, I should have read tex's post better.

I must say that I'm somewhat impressed by these pictures. Though I know that cup and core bullets work, I've generally avoided them because I didn't want to experience a failure on an elk shoulder or during a grizzly hunt. However, this looks like a fairly robust bullet. It is somewhat reminiscent of the Federal Fusion bullet (or vice versa). I may need to adjust my prejudices.

I know that the thick jacket of the 120 7mm BT has won it great praise. Looking at the jacket of the 168gr 30cal BT the jacket is as thick or thicker....interesting. I may have to pick some of these up and give them a try. Thanks for the pic.

Now keep in mind the two red tipped bullets are from 1994 stock,before Nosler made changes.There was a lot of people that had both good and bad experiences and most likely,if you shot the lighter weight bullets in a given caliber,they had the thicker jackets.The photo is of what I recovered from the shoulder of a whitetail I shot at 250yds with a 1994 version of the 7mm 150gr BT out of my 7mag.It stopped at the scapula of the shoulder and never penetrated into the chest cavity.The hard hit from the 7mag put the buck down.He had blood coming from his mouth and nose and I thought he would die quickly,but he didn't.I was able to sneak up on him and put a finishing neck shot on him.Had I been shooting a lighter weight caliber,I might have not been so lucky.I quit shooting BT's after that.But these improved versions might just bring me back.I wonder why Nosler never really promoted this great change in bullet design.

Attachments

• Noslers.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,647
I used the 180gr BST's in the Winchester Supreme ammo for my 300 Win Mag while I was stationed in California (1997). I was a young Marine and didn't have any room to reload, so I bought the 300 Win Mag in 1997 and a good supply of the Winchester Supreme stuff. I used it quite a bit on the smaller mule deer I hunted on Camp Pendleton. It absolutely smashed deer. I have never recovered a bullet from any deer. It was a great shooting bullet also. I did change up to a more robust bullet for my first elk, but the BT's worked great for me on deer in those years. Scotty

SV101529.jpg

SV101528-1.jpg

Impact over 3000 fps on adult buck from 7mm-08 120 BT. Found under far hide after full chest penetration. Not too bad.

Great picture Pop! I might have to try those little 120's in my 7mm Rem Mag before I rebarrel it. They might be fun! Scotty

That 7mm 120 gr BT is picture perfect performance.

JD338

Last year my wifes 7-08 took four mule deer with the 120 BT, didn't recover a one. Using it again this year.

Back