Nosler Manual #9....

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Coming out very soon! I am so excited! :mrgreen:

I'm also looking forward to seeing the new RG #9.

JD338

Just ordered mine from Midway this afternoon. Their site said only 1 in inventory when I placed the order. We'll see.

$25 says they have loads in #9 for MANY cartridges..... that are identical to loads listed in the Nosler #1 manual.

Close to 20 years go now (the second time Nosler tried to hire me) I was at lunch with Matt and Mike in beautiful Bend, OR... I enquired about the fact that their then new #5 manual had identical loads to the old #1 manual (which I still have). I don’t remember which one of them replied: “if we’ve already shot the data, why shoot it again?”

That about sums up what I’ve grown to expect from Nosler.... they’re kind of the Pabst Blue Ribbon of bullets. They were great once.... even won a Blue Ribbon.... so they’ll just ride that reputation until the wheels fall off.

Hell.... I still shoot a lot of Nosler bullets.... and I still drink more PBR than all other beers combined..... so it’s not a “bad” thing.... it’s just not how I would do it.

I'm shooting a few cartridges that aren't in their earlier editions. Although there is plenty of info on-line I like to have a hard copy of reliable data at hand.

Any data that is posted on the internet, by individuals, needs to be carefully researched before use. I've seen posters make inadvertent errors and subsequently retract/change their info.

FWIW - my regular source for data is manuals from Nosler & Hornady along with Hodgdon who provides extensive data on their web site.

bdbrown66":2yzpjhhr said:
Is there a reason to buy the manual, vs getting their data online?

Yes, my old hard copy manuals have come in handy many times for others who were looking for caliber/powder combinations that are not in the newer manuals.

jjs405":3bfo7gt9 said:
bdbrown66":3bfo7gt9 said:
Is there a reason to buy the manual, vs getting their data online?

Yes, my old hard copy manuals have come in handy many times for others who were looking for caliber/powder combinations that are not in the newer manuals.
That's an excellent point. I only have #3 and #8. Looking forward to #9. I also don't have a computer at my loading bench and just enjoy holding the hard copy in my hands.

That said, will all the data in the new #9 manual also be shown online? When? Is it already there? My biggest gripe with #8 is a lot of newer powders are not well represented - hoping to see that improved.

Thanks,
Rex

I have them all...I collect them waiting in my #9

I kept the old books for some time and had all the Nosler and Hornady books. Also had several Sierra, Lyman & Barnes books. Gave them to aspiring new reloaders as the opportunity arose. I only keep one each of 3 of the latest editions now.

I have a few of there manuals, but I dont see the point in having any more than that, unless it has a new cartridge or something you need. As stated, the nosler manual is usually 95% the same as the previous ones, and I wish they'd update the info. It seems pretty weak, and not well represented in my opinion. I'll research online, or ask for QL if I need anything these days. Need to get my own QL again as much as I develop loads for people and myself. I use to have a copy, but somehow it got lost in a move about 10 years ago :(

Ordered mine but am told by a friend to get set for a disappointment. He says not that much new data except for nosler cartridges. If so, I may not order another for many years.

Seabee":2bj40p0t said:
Ordered mine but am told by a friend to get set for a disappointment. He says not that much new data except for nosler cartridges. If so, I may not order another for many years.

Since this is Nosler's site I didn't post my opinion of book #9 here. I have the highest regard for there bullets and really like book #8.

I know that there's a certain celebrity here who has authored a "chapter" if you will...

I'll be getting the book. (y)

Guy

Back