Official rifle looney I guess.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
There is redundancy among rifles and cartridges, and then there is the exact same rifle and cartridge.

I've been very impressed with my 79 model 760 in 35 Remington. Accuracy, ease of loading to maintain that accuracy, it is not fussy, and effectiveness on game.

I've had it in my head for a long time that if I run across another one and it's in good shape, I'd buy it if the price is right.

A while back I think I missed one at a local market........asked the guy if he was selling any guns and he said he just sold a 760 in 35 Remington, he said the later model with the checkering on it. I asked if it was nice, he said yes. Was it a 1979? Probably. Was it nice? Don't know what his description of nice is.

That was probably for the best because Monday a week ago I ran into this beauty. Not sure how you could come across a nicer one unless it was new in box. Bluing, wood, the whole nine yards. Got it for what I feel was a real good price. 1979 was a 1 off yr for the 35 Rem in a 760 so there can't be many of them, but I swear 80% of them must be in my state. This one will reside in the gun cabinet and I'll continue to hunt with my other one.

The usual glare, but gives you the idea on condition.

Wood has nice grain in it throughout.

That is a great acquisition. To gather as many of a particular model as possible is not necessarily "looney" behaviour, but it must surely be close. I have owned five Model 94s in .356 Win, and still have three of them. I think it is quite normal. 🥴 My wife may have other views that are not suitable for publication.

"That is a great acquisition. To gather as many of a particular model as possible is not necessarily "looney" behaviour, but it must surely be close."

I have four Ruger #1 rifles in .300 Win. Mag. Three are the "S" model and the fourth is a "B" model. When I ordered my first #1 in .300 Win. Mag, I ordered the "S" version. The distributor sent the "B". When I complained my LGS called while I was there and was told, "That's all there is. Take it or send it back." Well I took is and it was many long years before I even saw an "S" model. The wham bang, I found two in less that six months, both Bicentennial models. About six years ago I found the last at a gun show for a decent price. I asked the guy selling it why he was getting rid of it and he said it kicked too hard to suit him. I bought it and he told me my shoulder would hate me. I told him I have two more just like it at home and the kick doesn't bother me. Nice thing is all four shoot tine bug holes with either the 200 gr. Speer Hot Core or Nosler Partition. I did pass on another "S" in .300 Win. mag. because it looked hard. Rust and deep dings in the stock, barrel looked like it had never been cleaned and besides, the price Cabela's had on it would have paid for a new one and several boxes of premium ammo.
Paul B.

That is a great acquisition. To gather as many of a particular model as possible is not necessarily "looney" behaviour, but it must surely be close. I have owned five Model 94s in .356 Win, and still have three of them. I think it is quite normal. 🥴 My wife may have other views that are not suitable for publication.

Those are bringing pretty good money now......course all Winchesters are. As a general rule I don't sell good rifles, some day the plan will be to sell, but not now. But good rifles in my opinion are never a bad idea if you can buy them right. This one will be sold someday I'm sure, but no plans to do so at the moment.

I know a couple money guys in the area and this is one rifle they will buy. I know about what they'd pay for a nice one and I figure I could make $450-$650 next week if I wanted but it will just be put away for now. If something were to happen to me unexpectedly my wife would have a pretty good side nest egg built up in rifles. I own nothing. :ROFLMAO:

Those are bringing pretty good money now......course all Winchesters are.

Indeed, they are worth a good deal more than I paid for them. I sold a Model 94 in 307 Win, doubling my money, and gave another to my grandson. I gifted one of the .356s to a good hunting buddy who posts on this forum. I sold two Model 94s chambered in .375 Win. I've kept the other .356s because they were a favourite cartridge. I suppose one day, when I shuffle off this mortal coil, my lady will dispose of those, together with the remainder of my rifles.

Indeed, they are worth a good deal more than I paid for them. I sold a Model 94 in 307 Win, doubling my money, and gave another to my grandson. I gifted one of the .356s to a good hunting buddy who posts on this forum. I sold two Model 94s chambered in .375 Win. I've kept the other .356s because they were a favourite cartridge. I suppose one day, when I shuffle off this mortal coil, my lady will dispose of those, together with the remainder of my rifles.
Better investment that your 401K right now.

Better investment that your 401K right now.
It is for me. It's the one thing I know at least something about and can typically buy well under actual value. I have one rifle I paid full retail for but it's hard to come across and I wanted it. I also have a 1903 Springfield that at this point I'm underwater on, the rest I'm good to go.

There's way worst things to spend time and money on and at least I wont ever be bored. :D

Beautiful rifle to say the least, she looks mint to me.
Jeff, you are not a looney, it's an addiction. We are all here for you and happy to talk you through tough moments. Just keep in mind that guns and shooting is just like golf. You can't play the game with one club!
We are here for you buddy!
And congratulations on a super snag.

JD338

Beautiful rifle to say the least, she looks mint to me.
Jeff, you are not a looney, it's an addiction. We are all here for you and happy to talk you through tough moments. Just keep in mind that guns and shooting is just like golf. You can't play the game with one club!
And congratulations on a super snag.

JD338
:ROFLMAO: I get no help. My wife doesn't discourage me in the least. Actually at times she encourages me. I might be doomed for failure to ever stop. :oops: Biden's economy has slowed me down some.

As Jim says, "We are here for you, Buddy!" What would you like to spend on next?😎

As Jim says, "We are here for you, Buddy!" What would you like to spend on next?😎
Ha! Be a bit on the next one likely. I don't spend house money and in this economy my extra money has slowed down a good bit overall. Sometimes it rolls in pretty quickly, other times it's just $20 here, $40 there, so I never know........I never spend money unless I got it. My tastes on good rifles keeps getting higher so that doesn't help matters. Ha.

As I correct my wife from time to time...it is not an addiction...as an addiction is a defined problem requiring rehabilitation;...having/owning/shooting is a passion!
And it builds character, creates memories, puts food on the table, and can be passed on to friends and family, or sold and the investment recouped. An addiction can't do this in a positive manner!

As I correct my wife from time to time...it is not an addiction...as an addiction is a defined problem requiring rehabilitation;...having/owning/shooting is a passion!
And it builds character, creates memories, puts food on the table, and can be passed on to friends and family, or sold and the investment recouped. An addiction can't do this in a positive manner!

By some standards I have a fair amount of rifles, by other standards I haven't even gotten started good yet. The area I live in there are some older gents that make me look like I've started my first day of pre-school and am happy I just got a attendance sticker to bring home.

Back