Old Hunt Photos

Dr. Vette

Handloader
Apr 16, 2012
I thought I'd start this off since Charlie isn't sure where to look right now.

This one is November, 1978, which would have been my second year of deer hunting. I was 11, and tagging along as Michigan didn't allow deer hunting until age 14 at the time. My cousin is a few years older and this was his first deer, a button buck we nicknamed Fred.

I'm in the blue coat, while my cousin is in the orange coveralls and uncle standing behind me. My Dad was likely taking the photo. I've had this picture on my desk for many, many years.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• Fred-3.jpg
    Fred-3.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 893
Very neat, Dr. Vette. First time out with the boys is always memorable. I'll have to look through the daguerreotypes to see if any images have survived the Great Flood.

Excellent!

I need to dig out some old photos. Scanner isn't really cooperating these days, so I may have to simply take a picture of a picture...

Guy

I actually have one and I will keep with the Michigan theme.

This is my Great Uncle Bud. He was my Grandpas oldest brother. I never knew he hunted until a few years ago when my grandma gave me this picture. On the back it says " Bud in 1982 at 90 years old. His last buck". He lived in Alpeena Michigan and the red and black checkered outfit is classic upper Michigan. By the bullet hole in the shoulder it looks like the old boy could still shoot a little :grin:

Here's me with my first deer. 1994 opening day of Ohio's Shotgun season down in Killbuck Ohio. That doe might of weighed 60 pounds soaking wet but man it was my first deer. I was 20 years. It was my first year hunting. I still have the Carhart field coat and overalls, and the old, old 870 Wingmaster with smoothbore slug barrel still sits in my safe.

Very neat photos, Pat. I can see how they are meaningful to you, and how they will be more meaningful still to your girls.

That is so good to see the old photographs and read the stories behind them.
Thanks you people..

Blessings,
Dan

Very cool pictures fellas. I'll have to see if I can get my Mom to take some pictures for me.. That's real cool.

Love those pictures Bill.
Lots of history and memories. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

What wonderful memories, Bill. Great pictures of a youth well spent.

Elkman":3qwpk399 said:
Thanks guys I will try again tomorrow!! :? :? :?
[emoji780]

Why the question marks and frown?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

A young JD338 in Newcastle, WY 1982
Rem 700 30-06 150 gr PT
JDAntelope1982.jpg

JD338

What? Thirty-two years ago? You have a rather heavy beard for a six-year-old, Jim! :shock:

Lets try again. First up is my first deer, taken near La Pine, Oregon in 1959. Dd and I were on our last hike of the weekend, I had already missed two other deer and was not feeling at my finest. Dad jumped him up and I could here him running through the Lodge Pole pine. I picked out an opening and waited. When I saw him in the scope I fired, my Remington 721, 30:06. As we were tracking him I kept telling day how big he was. He just kept smiling.
old hunting photos 026.JPG
This was my first Roosevelt Elk, taken near Coos Bay, Oregon in 1964. Dad had jumped a small herd and they came across the clear cut, towards me. The bull was in the back, with lots of cows around him, moving at about 75 yards. I held the 06 up high and hit him in the head.
old hunting photos 022.JPG
This was my dads biggest buck, out east of Springfield, in the Fort Rock area. This was the fall of 68 when I was in the service. I am assuming 300 WB, but am not sure on the rifle.

Attachments

• old hunting photos 023.JPG
    old hunting photos 023.JPG
    854.8 KB · Views: 752
Bill thank you for those photos. That is a Dandy first deer and the photograph of your Dad is so cool!!!

Blessings,
Dan

Back