Option for a cheap LR plinking scope

bobnob

Handloader
Nov 3, 2012
Guys I've recently been dabbling in some long range steel shooting and a little LR goat and varmint hunting with my 308.

Have a little RAR Compact in 223 that I wanted to try out further so I took a punt and ordered a cheap Sightron S1 SIH Tac 3-9x40 Mil Dot.

I was particularly interested in it because it is compact and light, (around 11.9 inches and 15 oz) and it wasn't a huge punt at less than $150 US.

I have a couple hundred rounds on it now and thus far I've been very impressed.

The glass isn't Zeiss, but serviceable. Has been very dark and overcast here and I'm hitting steel even in light rain with boring monotony at 750y.

Seems to track accurately and has held zero to this point soundly. It's mounted in Warne Maxima fixed rings which I like.

Time will tell in respect of ruggedness, but I'm thinking the low mass will assist there, as will the mild recoil of the 223 Rem.

On zero inclination bases, the available erector travel to get me out further is about 30 moa. Not huge I know but there's another 18 moa on the MD reticle. That'll get me as far as I can shoot and if needed a 20 moa base / rail will get me further.

Anyway thought I'd share the experience. Best wishes to all.

Bob

Can't beat a 6x Super Sniper either Bob. Not sure if you can get them but they can be had for 250 during certain times of the year.

Great review on the Sightron. Never used one. Sounds pretty good for the ducats.

Back