Ordered Another Tikka!

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
I tried, I really "tried" to warm up to that "reclaimed/refurbished" Savage 110E....but it was still too ugly for me...sold it! Never shot a round through it, and NO, no profit. Savage rifles have about as much resale value as a 10yr old Trailer House! lol. I knew that, thats OK, if it shoots, and it should, the buyer will be happy. I had fun messing with it. However, that still left me wanting an "accurate" 30-06...so I found a new Tikka T3x Lite on sale over on GunPrime, "somewhere" Alabama, ha. I know Tikkas shoot! My Son in Laws Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm Rem Mag is surprisingly easy to shoot, not worried about the recoil. Trying to "thin the herd" and I "needed" New Breeding Stock right off the bat! Just pray for me guys! :)

My Tikka never let me down.
The barrel is not at it's end yet- but it can see it from where it is now.
I will never let that gun go....
Use it for driven hunts mostly now, but I think I could give it another 500;shots. With new seating depth.
But it does ok for what I use it for and I have enough ammo to end that barrel's life.
And then with a new barrel it might outlast me and be passed over to my sons

Congratulations on your Tikka!
That's a really nice rifle. Post some pics.

JD338

I really like the tikka I have in 25-06, Congrats!
and I agree with you on the savage, just not my cup of tea

Thanks guys, I hope I didn't sound "snobby", and I certainly wasn't slamming Savage's Accuracy Reputation. Its just that "abrupt" end of the bolt shroud area and the big barrel nut, just don't do it for me. See, I have made a commitment to myself to settle down with three rifles. This Mod 700 SS 338WM, the Win 70 Fwt I'm having rebarreled with a Shilen to 7x57, ( nice wood stock, pretty yet lightweight and hopefully accurate/and I wanted another 30-06 to shoot at the range and hunt with. I have access to some nice rifles I gave my Marine SIL, so I'm not hurting, just trying to "convince myself" to be a better Steward...and hunt more. Plus...I'm "going into" my 50th Wedding Anniversary (Dec/23) so I have to plan something nice for my girl...which takes $$$ lol.
I "almost" bit the bullet and got another Mod 700 Mountain Rifle in 30-06....but (a) a third more money than a Tikka, and (b) a gamble on its accuracy....which means...even more money. So, between the sell of the Savage and part of what Uncle Fotis gave me for the 300
WM, I got into this Tikka w/o pawning anything, lol. Yeah, I've done that in the past when I felt I found something I couldn't live w/o, ha

Hey, Life is tooooo short to hunt with a ugly gun.
Congrats on most likely the best shooting "outta the box" production rifle made .
Good Luck
Earle

I've only owned 2 in 243 before, but they both shot easy 3/4" with anything I put in them! I do love the Mod 700 MR, ( the 90's years) BUT they can be a literal 50/50 gamble, what with that pencil thin barrel. Plus, they always felt a tad muzzle light for me. Same way with the Mod 70 XTR FWTs, but they seem to shoot best just free floated. BUT in 7x57, I have been "snake bit", that's why I'm trying a new Shilen #2 but 26" long. I just have to have an accurate 7x57 for my bucket list ( 1 Mod 700 Classic, three Mod 70 FWTS, 2" or worse!) Arrgh

I tried, I really "tried" to warm up to that "reclaimed/refurbished" Savage 110E....but it was still too ugly for me...sold it! Never shot a round through it, and NO, no profit. Savage rifles have about as much resale value as a 10yr old Trailer House! lol. I knew that, thats OK, if it shoots, and it should, the buyer will be happy. I had fun messing with it. However, that still left me wanting an "accurate" 30-06...so I found a new Tikka T3x Lite on sale over on GunPrime, "somewhere" Alabama, ha. I know Tikkas shoot! My Son in Laws Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm Rem Mag is surprisingly easy to shoot, not worried about the recoil. Trying to "thin the herd" and I "needed" New Breeding Stock right off the bat! Just pray for me guys! :) Good luck with the new TIKKA. NYDan did excellent load development for my Tikka T3X in 30-06 last May. If you need a starting point look back at the Reloading posts in May. If you have trouble finding it I will dig out my book and send you the data. We used Nosler 180 gr partitions. Regards, Rol

Tikka T3 is a great value. At that price point, the Howa is worth a look. Both have bolt lock safeties and reasonable triggers. Great hunting rifles. I picked up a new model 70 FW in the LGS last week. Bad bedding. I'd take the Tikka over any current Rem, Winchester, Salvage or Ruger anyday.

All my relatives ( well, my cousins boys and their boys now) all love Savages. They love playing on the mud of SE Texas ,( on 4 wheelers) and inevitably have wrecks, ha. They love the fact they can go to Academy ( Beaumont/Houston) and get a cheap Savage/scope Combo ( usually in 7 Mag) "right now", ha. They kill deer every now and then, but not at ranges where a 7 Mag would come in handy, of course. Lots of folks out there like them, and that's great, just not me. I grew up with Junk until I bought my own nice deer rifle. I was 16 and bought a Mod 94 Classic in Carbine Length. I was fully "into" what is known as "Pride of Ownership", been that way ever since! ha I always had a nice rifle to wile away the hours in a deer stand ( or tree) looking, handling a beautiful rifle! Warms my soul....:)

Last edited:
I fully hear you on the tool part, but just saying, for me, at 70, slowing down "just a hair", I want my tools to be "SnapOn" and not Montgomery Wards, lol. You gotta love this stuff!

Last edited:
I only have one Tikka, a 270 WSM, and I really do like the rifle. Easy to find an accurate load and smooth as silk when you're working it. Also a big fan of Win 70's and Savage 10's. I don't think you sounded snobbish, and Yep, the savages will never win any beauty pageants, but when it comes to an accurate rifle that I don't mind dragging out in foul weather and busting through the greenbriers and laurel thickets that's going to be reliable and accurate, I never felt lacking with a Savage. Congratulations on acquiring a fine rifle, it should provide years of reliable service.

Tikkas are fantastic. The Finns do not abide mediocre performance in rifles. They work in conditions where many of our NA designs fail. I have one that I rebarreled to .338 Federal and I am psyching up to one in .416 Taylor.

I've only owned (had made up) one 416 Taylor back in the day...it was one loud ( more loud than kicking) but still a little (20" barrel) kicking devil ( even with a brake!) in the light rifle I had it in. Can't imagine a tikka in one, ha.

Last edited:
Back