Powder deterioration and impact on loads ?

284allways

Beginner
Sep 11, 2017
Gents, I recently contacted the manufacturer of IMR powders over a brown cloud of dust thats been visible each time I pour IMR7828 into my measure. I have been reloading for 40 years and never gave deterioration a thought. All my powder was relatively new, never had ancient powder. Well, so I learned that this brown dust was a sign of deterioration and was dangerous. I dumped the powder immediately.

My question is that when I used this powder in a 300 weatherby, I would routinely get flyers, 1 out of 3 or 1 out of 4 that opened my groups to 1.5" + at 100 yds. The rifle is a very high quality custom rifle and I have Tally mounts, a Leopold that has been checked (sent back to the factory).
Is it possible that powder deterioration could have been causing Velocity E/S and accuracy issues ?
Thoughts and views would be appreciated.

I think it most likely was the cause due to erratic burning, thus erratic pressure.
Paul B.

Short answer is yes. Although to what degree it would cause groups to open up, and how often, is impossible to speculate on. Too many variables.

I ran into the same thing twice, using old metal cans of powder. Powder looked, smelled, and performed just fine. What happened was as I got around halfway through the can, I exposed some light surface rust inside the can at that level. When I would pour powder out of the can, then back in, I was basically sanding that surface rust off which was visible as a brown, dusty, residue left on my powder funnel.

Was getting the same thing as you......inconsistent groups out of a previously good load and rifle using that same can of powder. Bought new powder when I discovered what was happening, problem immediately went away.

Back