Pressure signs

Trawick78

Beginner
Jul 6, 2022
270win browning Abolt shooting nosler brass an nosler ABLR 150grain with accuratte 4350 So I run into pressure signs half way through load data start load was 47.2 max load was 52.5 was getting ejector marks at 49.9 can anyone help me out this is my first batch I’ve ever loaded I’m extremely new to this the not everything in the note book is what I loaded the bullets

Attachments

• A39B9F9C-3B84-4F69-9931-F35F0A2C307C.jpeg
    A39B9F9C-3B84-4F69-9931-F35F0A2C307C.jpeg
    485.7 KB · Views: 18
  • FD68B73E-A439-418E-9BDE-8090EE6E869A.png
    FD68B73E-A439-418E-9BDE-8090EE6E869A.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
Seat the bullet deeper. If your o.a.c.l. is 3.355 your .015 over the tested length. Did you check to see if your jamming the bullet at 3.355? Forget chasing the lands until you get a grasp on what your doing. You may have a short throated chamber. Try shortening your o.a.c.l. length to 3.335 and see what happens.

Okay thanks an no I’m not jamming it into the lands at 3.335 I used the Hornady OAL gauge with the comparator an I got a measurement at the lands at 2.832 so I seated my buttet an checked it with the comparator at 2.755 witch that should have me .077 off the lands unless there’s something that I’m not understanding..I also checked the headspace with the headspace gauge an the new brass was 2.044 the brass with the ejector marks was 2.044 also it didn’t change any I figured that also may be part of the problem

How are you weighing your charges? Accurate load data for the 270 Win. is with Winchester brass. Internal difference in capacity could come in play here.
98848021-F1A9-4535-BF39-34D34D0EB6E0.png

I have another forum that I posted the other day that DrMike gave me a quick load for that powder and bullet I loaded it with a charge master lite so I had to load to the nearest tenth so being the 49.9 we’re I got the ejector marks the load off quick load showed 49.88

Nosler brass an ejector marks

Attachments

• 2EEF056A-C2AD-4CAB-B3B4-FE438862AAB8.png
    2EEF056A-C2AD-4CAB-B3B4-FE438862AAB8.png
    4 MB · Views: 39
From looking at your two posts with the photos of fired brass……..I see no indication of overpressure with the primers or ejector marks on the case head. What I do see is an absolute minimum spec as far a chamber length. The identical scratch on all your case shoulders shows that the brass shoulder is cammed into the chamber shoulder area when the bolt is closed. I could be missing something but it doesn’t look like an overpressure situation from the info I’ve seen to this point. Get a headspace ”go gauge“ and see if the bolt will close on it. If it closes on the go gauge I’d say you simply have a minimum spec chamber. Which would be a good thing. Is there anyone knowledgeable close to you that could physically be with you and assist with inspecting and loading a few of these rounds? There is much that can be lost in interpretation when reading typed suggestions. We may not be relaying information to you in the right way.

Last edited:
No sir I don’t have anyone that can come assist me I’m relying completely on reloading books Manuel’s forums Etc… I was thinking that the nic under the 2 on 270 was a ejector mark.

The question I forgot to ask, Sako did-Thanks!
Did you size the case and chamfer the outside and inside of the neck?
I didn't see ejector marks on the brass either.
Even if you get flat primers with new brass, realize that can be because the case has not been fireformed to your chamber yet.
In essence the case head essentially slams back and can give you false pressure readings.
Once fired in your chamber then you can get a proper full length resize, with 2 thou shoulder bump.
Even after you first firing, your shoulder is probably not fully formed, but it is still good enough to get things started.

The bolt being sticky gives me some pause. Is your chamber area dry?
Did you remove all of the case lube off of the case?

Is this a brand new rifle?
If it is a used rifle, how many rounds down the bore and what bore cleaner do you use, and have you recently cleaned it?

My suggestion is to take some of your once fired brass, and resize it and continue increasing your powder charge.
If, you still have your first batch loaded heavier and you have not shot that yet, continue shooting what you already loaded.
Having said all of this, none of us is on site with you, and you have to make decision what you do.
From what I can see, if I was reloading for that rifle, I would continue on upping my load.

Just will add , was your loaded ammo sitting in direct sunlight when you fired them. Another item would be useful is a chronograph. That way you can correlate you charge weight and velocity.
I only see one picture of fired brass and it looks to be good.

I found these online, they are rather severe, but shows the circle to watch for.

Attachments

• B6515CA2-5403-47B5-BCFF-DD22C49173A6.jpeg
    B6515CA2-5403-47B5-BCFF-DD22C49173A6.jpeg
    885 KB · Views: 20
if your brass did not grow in length , it is not over pressure . that mark , or nick , in the pic doesn't look like anything to me .
Joec7651 , posted up a good pic of ejector marks , and swipe .

you will know a stiff bolt when you encounter it . you will not be wondering if it's stiff or not , it's obvious .

I agree with the others, you probably aren't at max pressure yet, BUT, you might be close. Quick load is a projection and every rifle is different. Hodgson's max for a 150gr Partition with Acc.4350 is 51gr. So you may hit pressure before QL max.
A MagNeto Speed or other chronograph would sure be helpful right now.

Last edited:
Thank y’all for all the info I really appreciate it I went an seated my bullets deeper an to 2.735 instead of 2.755 an the things that I was think I was pressure disappeared an I just shot at 51.4 with a no sticky bolt lift an pretty promising looking group but my barrel is hot an is 93* out here in south Louisiana lol I’m about to shoot 51.9 an see

With a hot barrel this is what I got so I’m thinking between 51 an 51.5 an play with the seating debt a bit it’ll improve I hope it don’t take very many more shots this old browing kills on both ends 🤣

Attachments

• 00EE5903-4567-4155-AC32-5D15D6B92871.jpeg
    00EE5903-4567-4155-AC32-5D15D6B92871.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 18
Back