Primer costs....very sad

284allways

Beginner
Sep 11, 2017
I went to my local gun club, a private place members only, I always look at the for sale board. This time I couldnt believe my eyes, a member had posted primes for sale at $100.00 per thousand ! In my opinion this reflects poorly on this member who is taking advantage of the shortages.
What are you guys seeing for prices when you find them ?

I regrettably paid $15.99 for one hundred CCI Bench rest large rifle primers........

I've seen people asking around $100/1k. Sad times we are in.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Pay it or don't. Someone who actually shoots may be happy to get 1,000 primers back in their possession for 100 bucks, the seller and and buyer are both happy. They are going for more than that out here.

Just got my cheapest offer yet at 12 cents a piece. Trying to decide whether I want to pay it or keep going down the list of vendors everyday with little luck. I DO like to shoot, I DO like to reload my brass, and I'm also relatively new to reloading so I still have the sort of addiction to it. Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found 800 small rifles for 60 bucks a couple weeks ago. I gladly paid it, I like shooting, hunting and loading my own ammo.

I've been fortunate in that I've been able to stock in bits and starts over the last few months. I wanted, needed, to buy in quantity back in March when things were readily available, but my "essential" employment kept me from being able to receive shipments.

I have helped a couple of shooters out with a small quantity of primed and prepped brass (no hazmat to ship), but now I'm feeling tapped. I think this might be your best bet, to open up a 'wanted' post in the appropriate section of the forum and offer to trade something a little rare or precious that you have sufficient quantity of for the all-elusive primers, in primed common brass form.

There really is no substitute for unobtanium

https://www.evergladesammo.com/brass/rifle-brass.html You'll find a few offerings for new, primed brass, at not an astronomical price + primers.

caribouhunter":3ockrm8q said:
Wow.
i just bought 1000 CCI BR2 yesterday for 64$ canadian money.
Guess we’ll have to go see our Canadian neighbors for primers AND medicine now. Hahaha. Oh wait...the border is closed. Scratch that.

I’ve yet to pay more than $31 per 1000 yet. I’m good for several years so hopefully I won’t have to pay the high prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I consider myself very fortunate. I managed to snag 2000 small pistol primers for $35.00 a thousand at the last gun show in our area of Florida. Powder has been a tough one but prices, when available have been fair. I got lucky again this weekend and found an older gentleman who was getting out of reloading sell me two pounds of H1000 for $20.00 a pound. I'm set for at least a little while.

284allways":3cr521k4 said:
I went to my local gun club, a private place members only, I always look at the for sale board. This time I couldnt believe my eyes, a member had posted primes for sale at $100.00 per thousand ! In my opinion this reflects poorly on this member who is taking advantage of the shortages.
What are you guys seeing for prices when you find them ?
They should neuter him. :evil:

I wont pay it. Wont even consider it, but I understand some might have to. I only got around 2k LR primers so I can't go nuts shooting, but have enough to get by for now. I have a shop or 2 locally that are not gouging when they can get them in. They wont let you buy a whole brick of 1000, just a couple 100 so I'll just keep picking them up as I can.

Wow..... I never thought I’d see the day, when staunch Conservatives would scoff at Capitalism.

By your line of reasoning.... any of you who bought gold at $500 an oz.... should sell it to me for that same amount of money. Or.... you could sell me that Win. 70 .375 H&H you bought for $106 in 1962..... that’s fair, right?

I won’t pay $100/1000 right now.... but I may in another year or two.

You can be prepared.... you can pay a premium... or you can play golf.

No need to badmouth folks who were prepared.... or who are exercising their rights in a Capitalist Society.

Gouging for anything is BAD. But ....... if you were willing to sell your last few boxes of primers how much would you expect to get for them TODAY?

And yes - that's a rhetorical question.

I’ll keep mine.... they’re more valuable than $100/1000 to me right now. If fact, I found a couple thousand the other day.... and it was like finding a $100 bill in the britches I wore last week.

I wouldn’t sell OR buy at $100/1000 right now.... would you?

Point is.... it ain’t “gouging”.... if folks are willing to pay it..... or, if I bought a couple extra thousand AS TRADE FODDER.... KNOWING this was going to happen again. That’s Playing the Market....

Songdog":2edmj9g7 said:
I’ll keep mine.... they’re more valuable than $100/1000 to me right now. If fact, I found a couple thousand the other day.... and it was like finding a $100 bill in the britches I wore last week.

I wouldn’t sell OR buy at $100/1000 right now.... would you?

Point is.... it ain’t “gouging”.... if folks are willing to pay it..... or, if I bought a couple extra thousand AS TRADE FODDER.... KNOWING this was going to happen again. That’s Playing the Market....

I’d agree with that. Even more so for those who looked ahead and lived through the last shortage to realize getting caught without primers stinks.

I think it sucks but it goes along with pi$$ Poor planning on your part doesn’t make it my problem. Saying that, I help out friends and family when I can. I’ll keep the rest as the cash wouldn’t be worth the fun of popping primers.

I can't remember where I heard it, but a guy was apparently selling used primers on gunbroker and had a bid of $40 :shock: To me, that is where the line gets crossed. I'm loading up what I can, and thinking about taking up yoga after I run out of primers. :lol:

If you don’t like the price, don’t pay it.

Don’t whine about it, either. You shoulda stocked up.

P

Back