Projects for a cold winter

ksubuck

Handloader
Jun 25, 2014
After a beautiful fall filled with good hunting, and a perfect holiday season, winter has finally struck with subzero temps and a nice steady northwest breeze. Fortunately, I have plenty of projects to accomplish before the thaw.

I picked up another 700 ADL in 243 Win. Am in the process of working it over to produce another rifle for my wife to shoot. She really took to the 223 I put together for her last year and would like a repeat performance this year. So far I have pillar bedded it, reinforced the forend and bedded it, and free floated the barrel. Waiting for the hydrographic film so I can produce another loud, pink camo pattern for her. Hope it shoots as good as the last one.

The 7 RM 700 ADL SS I picked up to be a donor for a build is in the process of getting a new barrel. I picked up a 5R Bartlein #3 9 twist .284 to go on it. Waiting on a 7-300 WM reamer from JGS. Once it is back from the smith, I will pillar bed and free float it. Have some ATACS hydro film to finish the stock. Putting a 6-24 Viper PST on top. Can't decide between traditional one piece Leupold LR base and rings or a picatinny rail and rings.

And finally, my old ABolt 25-06 is getting a new tube. I had debated on whether to bump up to 6.5-06 but decided I keep getting bigger and bigger rifles. I need to keep a few smaller calibers around for varmints and predators. So it will continue its life as a 25-06. Putting a 5R Bartlein #4 10 twist .257 on it. The primary stock is a bedded laminate which will need to be opened up a bit for the heavier barrel. The secondary stock is the factory synthetic which will be rebedded and opened up as well. The only decision left is whether to thread the barrel for a suppressor. Ultimate coyote rig?

It looks like all of the work will be done before spring. My smith loves doing all of the metal work and thinks it is great that I want to do all the stock work.

Those sound like great projects. Make sure you post some pics for us as you go. BN

Those are cool projects. I dig that 7-300... I run a similar cartridge and its quickly winning me over.

Today is a good day to inhale paint fumes. Hydro-dipping the stock and scope for my wife's new rifle.

20160123_153155.jpg

Can't wait for the reamers to get here. Guess I just have to stare at the new barrels and wait. I am very excited to play with the 7-300 when it is done and I hope the rebarrel on the 25-06 lets me experience the true cartridge. Have my order in for some H1000 and Retumbo at the LGS.

That looks similar to what my granddaughter is requesting for her first rifle. Very attractive done up in urban camo.

Dr. Mike, if you have a desire to try this on your own, this is a black/silver marble pattern with camo pink base coat instead of silver base coat. The process takes a bit of practice and some frustration on occasion, but watching the smile on my wife's face makes it worth it. I think your grandaughter would beam as well.

I am definitely intrigued. I've thought about this in the past, and I may just have to take up the challenge.

All finished.

20160124_184304 crop.jpg

20160124_184359 crop.jpg

And I dipped another stock in ATACS camo pattern since I had everything set up.

20160124_184911 crop.jpg

How durable is the finish? Is it slippery (like on a stock with no checkering)?

You did a great job.

I have 3 rifles dipped like this and the finish is pretty tough. Through a couple of hunting seasons I don't see much wear on any of them, but I am pretty careful with my firearms compared to some.

The matte clearcoat finishes I have used seems to have an orange peel like finish and it is not very slippery even when wet.

And thanks for the complements guys. I have a blast doing them, even if I haven't perfected the process yet. It is just one more way to involve myself with my shooting hobby. And if you really screw up, just strip the paint off and start over.

Here is the ATACS pattern after reassembly. Used a dark tan base coat on this one. Plan to use a white base coat on the 7-300 when it is done for more of a snow camo look.

20160125_193621.jpg

That turned out at least as good as the 223 you did for her last time. Nice job on the other stock as well.

That looks great and fun to boot. Good work on those rifles and there's nothing like the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Ksubuck, you really do some very nice work (y). I am sure your wife is going to be please with the new ADL that you are doing up for this coming fall.
Thank you for the post and photographs keep them coming :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back