Question About New Combo

Qubo

Beginner
Dec 23, 2020
Hi all. New to this forum. I'm on some other forums but wanted to ask in a Nosler specific forum.

I'm pretty new to reloading. This summer I worked up a load for my 300 win mag. I'm using 168gr E-tips H4350 with ok results. I was planning to do more adjusting to it once hunting season was over but do to the current ammo crisis I can't get H4350 anymore and I'm completely out. I've decided to move away from it because I plan to use this rifle for a long time and don't want to go through this again during future shortages. I only had 10 rounds for 3 rifle hunts.

Anyway, I've bought some IMR 4451 cause it seams always available and people online seam to think it's a good replacement for H4350 and maybe even better. But since it is a little newer there isn't much load data out there and I'm very unexperienced. 4451 isn't in the Nosler book. The Hodgden website says 70.5 grain max for a 168 bullet. But not specific to E-tip. But I've noticed their website seams to be 1-2 grains below the max loads in the Nosler manual. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this combo? Or any other tips would be very appreciated. Thanks

Nosler recommends to start low with the etips. Drop down 10% and work your way up. Never start with a max load.

Welcome.

I have no experience with the 300 mag, but IMR 4451 is a good powder in my 30-06 and 280. 4451 might be a little fast for the 300 mag and it might be great like peenut butter and jelly.

Hodgedon has data for 180 gr E-tips and 4451. Think it is 60.2 gr start and 65.5 gr max, I would start with that data (maybe 61 grains) and maybe go up a little higher (like 66 or 66.2 grains) due to your lower bullet weight, if I was comfortable and confident in reading pressure signs.

The 168 Hornady bthp and the 165 SPR SP listed on the Hodgedon site doe not apply to the E-tip. They are lead cored and the E-tips have no core, this changes bullet length among other things that make extrapolated data unsafe to use. If you look at the 180 gr data on Hodgedon site, please note the different oval lengths for the two bullets. Also note that the E-tips are more than a grain lower in charge weights. While you are at it, take a look at the 190 grain Hornady and compare it to the 180 grain E-tip, the 190 has a max of 67.4 grains vs 65.5 for the 180 gr E-tip.

Edited to add - it would be good to read through: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloadi ... not-listed.

Ok. Thanks for suggestions. I was running 72 grains for my load with the H4350 with no problems. Did have a little bit a stiff bolt when I went up to 73. I'll start low and work up. I keep thinking about switching to the 180gr e-tips since it is a more common weight for caliber, and what Nosler loads for factory etips. But since I'm mostly an archery elk hunter when it comes to elk its only for late season cows. And until my wife approves another gun purchase it gets used for deer every year and occasionally antelope. Plus I know Nosler says you can size down when shooting etips due to their performance. But what do you'll think? If I do change to 180s would the IMR4451 still be a good choice?

The 168 E-tips sound like a good fit for you, especially as an archery hunter you know how to wait for a good shot.

If you changed to the 180's, I would lean towards a slower powder like H4831, H1000, RL-22 or RL-23 depending on what load data you can get for it. I think IMR 4451 would work just fine and if you had a bunch of it, I would try it first. The issue with IMR 4451 is that you really only have Hodgedon's load data, so you do much cross-checking / confirming load data.

I don’t think you’re missing out on anything with a 168 or 180 ETip to be honest. Either one is more than plenty for elk and especially cow elk if that’s your biggest animal.

4451 and H4350 and for that matter IMR 4350 are all very similar so using starting loads for whatever listed and paying attention to what the gun and the chrono says would be important.

I haven’t worked with 4451 as much as others but it seems like a good powder and it’ll work fine with either 168’s, 180’s or even 200’s should you wanna jump a bit more.

Good luck. Post up how you make out.

Nosler makes a lot of bullets that are much more forgiving then their E-Tips. I'd suggest using one of their many cup & core bullets for a new reloader. Accubonds seem particularly easy to find accurate loads for and have a history of liable terminal performance.

Just a thought about considering a viable alternative.

Back