Ramshot Magnum 280 AI

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Finally got around to trying out RS Magnum in the 280 Ack with the 143 Hammer Hunter. I’m happy with 3119 from a 22” barrel and 3/4” inch. Worked up to 70.5 without seeing any pressure signs. Might be a tad more left. Being a ball powder I used a magnum primer.

Attachments

• EF9A4AA0-6D15-45F4-A83B-93DCBF243762.jpeg
    EF9A4AA0-6D15-45F4-A83B-93DCBF243762.jpeg
    408.9 KB · Views: 29
  • FE4E5EB0-61CE-4B4E-8248-86A88C425AA4.jpeg
    FE4E5EB0-61CE-4B4E-8248-86A88C425AA4.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 28
Man that's cranking with a 143 copper bullet. Shoots good. Is that an intended whitetail load?
Those hammers do tend to generate impressive velocities. At first I was "blah-blah radius drive bands reduce pressure blah-blah", but seems everyone gets good speed with them, so maybe there's something to the "PDR" bands, afterall....Really thinking it's a "do-all" load considering all we have are whitetail, black bear, and a couple times a year for hogs.

I would think a 143 grain copper bullet at that speed would be a beast on hogs, bear, and bigger. Whitetail at normal ranges? You will have to experiment with it, my thoughts are if you hit bone you will be buying Jimmy Dean's if you want much sausage, but I could be wrong. :D

I would think a 143 grain copper bullet at that speed would be a beast on hogs, bear, and bigger. Whitetail at normal ranges? You will have to experiment with it, my thoughts are if you hit bone you will be buying Jimmy Dean's if you want much sausage, but I could be wrong. :D
May be the first time I hope you're wrong LOL

May be the first time I hope you're wrong LOL

Ha! And I might be, with that combo don't know. I don't clean other peoples deer so whatever somebody else likes is good for me. Personally I'm not a fan of the high speed stuff for whitetail at normal ranges. I detest excess and unnecessary bloodshot. Hate it. If I get it when I think I shouldn't have, I change speeds or change bullets. But I've never used a mono bullet so what do I know.......that combo might work to a T at those speeds even on bone.

Ha! And I might be, with that combo don't know. I don't clean other peoples deer so whatever somebody else likes is good for me. Personally I'm not a fan of the high speed stuff for whitetail at normal ranges. I detest excess and unnecessary bloodshot. Hate it. If I get it when I think I shouldn't have, I change speeds or change bullets. But I've never used a mono bullet so what do I know.......that combo might work to a T at those speeds even on bone.
I believe it will be fine. There are a couple threads here of guys that have shot deer with Hammers, one recently was nhenry with his 280ai, maybe he will come along and give more details. Lots of info over on the Hammer time forum as well.

I believe it will be fine. There are a couple threads here of guys that have shot deer with Hammers, one recently was nhenry with his 280ai, maybe he will come along and give more details. Lots of info over on the Hammer time forum as well.
Dang straight.

My rifle using the same 143gr Hunter at over 3160 killed two bucks (one muley and one whitetail) two days in a row. Mine was a frontal heart shot at 235 yards, no meat loss whatsoever and no bullet found. My buddy’s the day before was a broadside shot at 75 yards, broke through both shoulders and exited. Again, no meat loss whatsoever. No bloodshot.

Monos like speed, especially hammers.

I’m going to be loading my 280AI with 131gr Hammer Hunters to get even more speed (around 3250 is what im aiming for) because I found 145 of them online for 100 bucks. Cheaper than Ballistic Tips at that price.

Dang straight.

My rifle using the same 143gr Hunter at over 3160 killed two bucks (one muley and one whitetail) two days in a row. Mine was a frontal heart shot at 235 yards, no meat loss whatsoever and no bullet found. My buddy’s the day before was a broadside shot at 75 yards, broke through both shoulders and exited. Again, no meat loss whatsoever. No bloodshot.

Monos like speed, especially hammers.

I’m going to be loading my 280AI with 131gr Hammer Hunters to get even more speed (around 3250 is what im aiming for) because I found 145 of them online for 100 bucks. Cheaper than Ballistic Tips at that price.
Thanks ! That’s encouraging for sure. I plan on putting some in hogs next month

Sweet! I like that RS Magnum powder, and I like those speeds your getting out of your 280AI. I have had a long term project cooking ( a 7x57 Shilen on a Mod 70 Fwt XTR) and should be done "soon", ha, but I'm starting out with it at 26". Reason being is "if" I don't like how it shoots with the Mauser, I plan on a rechamber to the Ackley. My one and only 280AI was almost 30yrs ago, a rechambered 280 Mountain Rifle. With R22, it favored (super fickle barrel!) the 150NBT but only at 2950fps. I got 2800 with the Speer 160HC (I can't believe I have forgotten the powder I used for it!!??) but I ran into temp issues with the R22 on an unexpected Exotics hunt in Texas. Sticky bolt. I'm way OCD on powders that can go wonky at warmer temps and lose speed at 10deg. Magnum is supposed to be one of the best temp stable powders. Thanks for sharing pard, good luck!

Revisiting this, I knew I left some on the table previously. Worked up to 72.0 where I got a heavy bolt lift and 3222 fps. o_O.... Backed down to 71.0 with 3142 average over 3 shots. Must have been having one of my good shooting days. This is how Hammer recommends you do it. Work up to pressure, back down one grain and shoot for groups. That was my last 3 Hammers. Time to re-order, and call it done. I'm slowly getting over the disappearance of RL-26.
IMG_5320.jpg

Back