Rand Paul's reply to an email

G

Thought everyone might be interested in this reply. Some facts at least I wasn't aware of.
Dewey

March 19, 2013

Dear Mr,

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns regarding the Department of Homeland Security's use of Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this issue.

Recent reports circulating around the internet have asserted that Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has purchased 2,717 MRAPs. However, the story dates back to a January 2012 contract from the U.S. Army Contracting Command to upgrade and retrofit 2,717 MRAPs already in its possession. The contract in question did not transfer any of the vehicles to DHS. However, after the story broke, DHS confirmed that it is in possession of 32 MRAPs used by its Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) divisions for border protection and the execution of high-risk search and arrest warrants for drug trafficking organizations. They have also been used in search and rescue operations in the wake of Hurricane Isaac. The MRAPs in question were not purchased by DHS, but transferred from the Department of Defense in 2008.

I understand your concerns with DHS' possession of these MRAPs, especially in light of other recent stories about the Department's increased purchase requests for ammunition and fully-automatic North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Personal Defense Weapons (PDW). DHS has responded by stating that the ammunition and weapons are standard issue and for use by special agents in each agency's law enforcement division.

At a time when the national debt is higher than ever before, and the size and scope of government has extended far beyond what our Founding Fathers envisioned, it is important we discuss not only the procurement practices of the federal government, but also the mission of many of our agencies. Dozens of agencies and their sub-components, ranging from the United States Mint to the Government Printing Office, have their own police forces. This creates a significant risk of duplication and overlapping goals. The potential for consolidation of many of these separate federal law enforcement entities should be considered as we continue to discuss how to streamline the government and improve efficiency.

Please be assured I will monitor this situation closely as it develops. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me regarding any federal matter in the future.

Sincerely,

Rand Paul, MD
United States Senator

Back