Range day-Tikka 300 win mag

LD375

Handloader
May 18, 2009
Got a new 300 win mag, I'm very pleased with it's "out of the box accuracy" :) ..Here's what I got today shooting 180gr swift scirocco's @100yds

One 3 shot group, and then a five shot group

One 3 shot group

After break in and adjustments, I left it off at this, heck for factory loaded ammo, I'm very impressed (y)

Thanks for looking, Lou

Very nice, Lou. That is some fine shooting. Yeah, I'd say that rifle is a keeper.

It'll be tough to beat that! Looks great.

180 grain will cover just about anything. I kind of like the 200 grain Partitions though. This year I'm playing with 220 grain Partitions, which also shoot great.

Lots of fun to be had with the 300 winnie! :mrgreen:

NWBlacktail":29kbhtvw said:
It'll be tough to beat that! Looks great.

180 grain will cover just about anything. I kind of like the 200 grain Partitions though. This year I'm playing with 220 grain Partitions, which also shoot great.

Lots of fun to be had with the 300 winnie! :mrgreen:

yup, I have plenty of loaded 260gr Accubonds for my 375 H&H, and although I have another 80 or so rounds of the 180gr Scirocco's for the 300 win mag, I'll be loading up the 180gr partitions for it for sure :) ..Going to use the 300 win mag for black bear come September, and for moose come late October (y)

Lou

DrMike":1ast85qj said:
Very nice, Lou. That is some fine shooting. Yeah, I'd say that rifle is a keeper.

Thanks Mike :grin: ..Special request from Stoeger Canada pal :wink:

That's pretty awesome Lou! Man, nothing to want more of there! That is just about darned perfect! Man, what a good score. Looks like you had a one and done range session there!

Lou what load did you use. My boy just got a tikka 300 win

Scotty: thanks brother, yah all went very well, I broke in the rifle using the Nosler method, (with Winchester pp factory ammo) and to boot had the whole range to myself from 10am till 12:30pm.

David: thank you, the scope is a Leupold VX-3 3.5x10x40mm Duplex reticle, I purchased the Leupold alumina flip back scope covers, and well be installing them today pal.

Fotis: thank you, these were factory loaded Scirocco's from Remington (they are now discontinued) so with that said, I bought the last 4 boxes, and 1 more yesterday @25% off. My buddy Frank and I well develop a load for the 300, man so many choices on so many great bullets. I'm happy that your son got into a Tikka, which model did he get?..Mine weighs in at 8.8 lbs loaded and with sling.

Lou

Lou the rifle is really a shooter, when you get ready to develop some hand loads there is lots of information available right here, lots of us on 300's and have experience with a wide variety of powders. There are some very recent posts regarding load data. Its a dandy.

Elkman":3uc20v8e said:
Lou the rifle is really a shooter, when you get ready to develop some hand loads there is lots of information available right here, lots of us on 300's and have experience with a wide variety of powders. There are some very recent posts regarding load data. Its a dandy.

Well thanks a bunch :) ..this is one great forum, with a great bunch of members that have helped me along both present and past, I'm saving all my brass and well develop a load with a 180gr bullet no doubt, the summer well come and go real fast, and really have no time to mess around with load development, I well use this load for black bear in September, and for moose come late October, my .375 has been blooded and well come along, but I look forward to more than ever doing it with the 300 win mag (y)

Lou

That is a fine looking/shooting rifle...if you don't mind my asking, which model Tika is it?...lite or heavy barrel?...how was the recoil?...

Thanks/bg

bmgillum":27mfjjs3 said:
That is a fine looking/shooting rifle...if you don't mind my asking, which model Tika is it?...lite or heavy barrel?...how was the recoil?...

Thanks/bg

Hi BG, it's a Tikka T3 hunter stainless fluted barrel in .300 win mag, felt recoil is somewhat similar or slightly more than an average weight rifle chambered in 7 mm rem mag etc, but also slightly louder in noise. I've shot/owned rifles chambered in .270wsm that were also heaver and sharper in felt recoil, as well as muzzle jump, this Tikka has pretty much no muzzle jump, and just a short kind of sharp/push if you well, kind of hard for me to explain since I'm so used to the recoil of my 375 H&H, hope this helps you some,
Lou

Somehow missed seeing this Lou, it looks like the gun is accurate and we all know you can shoot too :)

I'm curious how does the wood stock compare with the Tikka Fiberglass stock, is it similar or does it feel different?

snoodcrusher":37ggibje said:
Impressive! Tikkas are quality rifles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snoodcrusher, welcome aboard. Always good to see a new poster. Trust you enjoy the camaraderie here.

gerry":1hkyszh4 said:
Somehow missed seeing this Lou, it looks like the gun is accurate and we all know you can shoot too :)

I'm curious how does the wood stock compare with the Tikka Fiberglass stock, is it similar or does it feel different?

Hi Gerry, thanks buddy :) ..it is somewhat similar, but at the same time different as well. The wood stock is much nicer, heavier, and more comfortable to hold/shoot (at least for me) I guess it's a matter of personal preference. Either one is nice, but I like the walnut stock myself, the trigger on mine breaks like glass. I have a CZ 455 American in .22 LR that I shoot a lot, it too has a beautiful walnut stock, and feels like a real hunting rifle, very well made as well.

Are you thinking of going to a walnut stock for your Tikka?..If so, let me know pal :wink:

Lou

Maybe Lou, although fiberglass is the best choice for hunting in this area. I do love my CDL 270 Win and CZ 452 which both have walnut stocks. I have to agree with you a wood stock does feel very nice when compared to a synthetic. The triggers on the T3's are fantastic, probably the best I have seen so far.

gerry":vm8t4269 said:
fiberglass is the best choice for hunting in this area.

Yes Gerry, I absolutely agree with you pal, they both have there advantages, and I would also have a synthetic if I were hunting in your neck of the woods pal (y)

Lou

Back