Range report

shoots_5

Handloader
May 15, 2009
Well, I got out today to get a few things done. First on the list was to sight in my 22-250 with its new mark 4 6.5-20x50 M5 FF. And in the process accomplished two firsts....first up after bore sighting I was relatively close with the first shot. I measured the distance it was off using the TMR reticle and it was 2 mils left and .6 mils high, so I made those adjustments to the scope and the next round was dead center in the bullseye! That was first number 1, sighting in a rifle with only 2 rounds. First number 2 was about to happen next. I decided to shoot another to make sure it was where it was supposed to be...and it went into the same hole...so then it was game on, shot #3 cut the hole to the right and shot #4 cut that hole, giving me the best group I've ever shot to date. Edge to edge was .4955"-.224=.2715"!

I forgot to grab a big enough piece of cardboard to do a proper box test on the scope, but I did shoot one, bullseye, then twisted the elevation turret up several turns then back down, shot, bullets were touching, turned the windage turret left and right several turns and then back to zero and shot another and got another .5" cloverleaf group like the one above. So far I'm very impressed with this scope! Now for the bad news....first up, I was using some old hand loads for sighting in that were loaded with 52gr Berger varmint bullets that I shot these 2 groups with.....and I can't find the load data for them and they easily shot the best I've ever seen from this rifle today! :evil:

Next up was testing out some loads using hodgdon CFE 223 and the 40gr Varmageddon. Velocity was better than advertised, but accuracy was disappointing. First up was 42 grains.

42.5 grains

43 grains which is the book max. I did not have any pressure signs.

I think I'll do some playing with this powder using some 52gr match bullets and see if I can get some good accuracy and a boost in velocity over some of my other loads.

Next up was testing the Berger 250gr OTM's from my 338LM. This testing was disappointing all the way around. I had loaded some up with 89 grains of H4831SC which according to the Sierra manual was a grain below max and should have yielded about 2950fps. Mine were averaging 2811fps and accuracy was the worst I'd ever seen in this rifle to date. I was lucky to hold a group under 2.5 inches....this was the best group I had with them.

These were loaded to magazine length which put them .09 off the lands. I think I'll try loading some out closer to the lands and shoot them single shot and see if I can find some accuracy somewhere. Probably try a different powder combo too as the velocity was a bit anemic from what I'm looking for.

The good news is that I'm in love with my new scope both performance wise and from what I saw optically it's as good as anything I've looked through, which isn't as long as a list as many of you here, but none the less, I was impressed. And any day I get to go shoot is a good day!

Also, after being frustrated by the Bergers and havin one round left I swung over to a steel target at 270 yards, fully knowing that it would likely leave a pretty nasty dent in it, but I needed to vent some frustration in away that only ringing steel could cure....

Turns out .5" steel isn't enough to stop this round at 270 yards......

Great shooting man! Glad the scopes are working well. Looks like you need to find your 22-250 load. That looks pretty awesome..

Can't wait to see what the 250's do out of your Lapua once you get it tuned up.

Looks like a fine scope you picked up there! Were you at your family's place in Silverton?

I think you found a good 22-250, varmints beware! That`s one heck of hole in the steel plate!

I've used the same technique for bore sighting in all range work for some years. It saves a lot of time and grief. Your scope is proving to be an excellent purchase. It does look as if you had a productive day.

That is one massive hole! Nice work on the 22-250!

One of these days I'll be upgrading to a MK4. Thanks for the report. Glad your happy with it.

That is great shooting and your load work up looks to be there for the 22-250. Thanks for the photos and the report.

Blessings,
dan

Thanks guys. BK, yes I was out on my families place. If you're bored, run the ballistics on that load going 4383fps....talk about a flat shooter! This powder has me hopeful that I'll be able to get a load over 3900 using a 52 grain bullet. That would be a sweet all purpose varmint round!

Any suggestions on a powder for pushing that 250 OTM faster? I was thinking about RL 22 or 25. First time loading 250's in this rifle so any suggestions are appreciated!

Oh, and I was able to narrow down that load that shot so well to either 36 grains of varget or 38.5 grains of H380. So at least I have a starting point to recreate it! Velocity on it was 3680.

Just had to update this as I was preparing to do some more loading for the 338LM I thought I'd just double check the action screws were still torqued down and found the rear screw was a few turns away from falling out! Could explain the erratic groups I was seeing....so now I'm debating whether or not I should revisit the COAL that will fit in the magazine or just load them out to .02" off the lands?

Back