Rank em'

If you had to pick one mfg who's your favorite and why?

• Lyman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RCBS

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Hornady

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Lee

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Redding

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Other.....explain

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011
I have a hodge podge of equipment and die sets like a Hornady powder measurer on an RCBS stand....etc etc
Wasn't really by design just how I aquired things over the years.

It got me thinking though what Mfg seems to be the favorite? Not really a best but...
Things might get mentioned here that people are unaware of.(Like my thread on Lyman's bleacher blocks as example)
Keeping the focus on single stage (sorry Dillon)
If you had to pick one mfg who's your favorite and why?

Lyman
RCBS
Hornady
Lee
Redding
Other...explain

I voted RCBS. When I lived in California, I took a bullet puller back to their shop. He looked at it, walked to the back room. Came out with a new puller and handed to me, no questions asked. That impressed me

Last edited:
Redding has always provided a quality product, and their customer service has been top notch each and every time I ever contacted them, for both myself, and for on behalf of customers when working in the lgs's.
RCBS has been a strong provider too.

I use both Redding and RCBS seater dies. The Redding dies have less run out then others in my expierence.

1. Forster - They would be my choice.
2. Weatherby - These dies where ahead of the game.
3. Redding - They make great dies also.
4. L.E. Wilson - Inline seaters another great product.
5. Hornady - Have a whole pile of them they get the job done.
6. Lee - Collet dies work like they should.
7. RCBS - My last choice. They overwork the necks too much for my liking.

Most of my equipment is RCBS-but the last few years I have started using a lot of Forster products and really like them. Got a little bit of Redding and Hornady in there as wellBDACD4BE-4B8D-4666-BED9-B615E611B6AD.jpeg
Used to work in this part of my basement. But this became a bedroom and my stuff got moved to the upstairs. Powders and primers are kept separately in a safe-

Last edited:
1. Forster - They would be my choice.
2. Weatherby - These dies where ahead of the game.
3. Redding - They make great dies also.
4. L.E. Wilson - Inline seaters another great product.
5. Hornady - Have a whole pile of them they get the job done.
6. Lee - Collet dies work like they should.
7. RCBS - My last choice. They overwork the necks too much for my liking.
Picture of the Weatherby dies if you wouldn't mind

A little tough to vote when I use so many different products from most of them. Also, are you just asking about dies or all in general?

for crimping, Lee
dies, redding.....mostly. 2nd place rcbs on rifle and dillon for pistol
trimmers, rcbs (manual) lyman for motorized.........cause hornady doesn't trim square
dillon for presses (progressive), lee for single stage (need it for 338lm dies 1.125" threads)
brass cleaning, (media) dillon, lyman (wet) because it's heated and done in 5-8 minutes
dryer/dehydrator frankford

I've a mix of stuff....
No real reason why...
Tumbler
Hornady

Electric trimmer
Lyman

Prep center
RCBS

digital scale
RCBS micro pro scale

That replaced a Lyman digital scale my kids decided to see who could push the highest pressure🤬🤬🤬

Franford Arsenal pocket scale

Assortment of dies from everyone but Forster, Lee and apparently Weatherby 🤷‍♂️
Never knew they were in the game at some point

Shell holders
RCBS/Lyman

Primer pocket brushes..
Everyone

Media...
Lyman, Hornady, Berry..even have Lizard substrate 🙃

Sonic Cleaner
Hornady

Media Separator
RCBS
(Most definitely the very best $45 dollars you could ever spend in reloading tools)

Loading blocks
Everyone
Favorite are Lyman bleacher blocks

Chamfer tools
Lyman/RCBS

Priming tool
RCBS

Powder funnels
Everyone
Favorite...MTM

A little tough to vote when I use so many different products from most of them. Also, are you just asking about dies or all in general?

for crimping, Lee
dies, redding.....mostly. 2nd place rcbs on rifle and dillon for pistol
trimmers, rcbs (manual) lyman for motorized.........cause hornady doesn't trim square
dillon for presses (progressive), lee for single stage (need it for 338lm dies 1.125" threads)
brass cleaning, (media) dillon, lyman (wet) because it's heated and done in 5-8 minutes
dryer/dehydrator frankford
Generalized...

Perhaps if you could only use one mfg

I like Redding presses, at least my T7. I also like my Rock Chuckar II, but the way the T7 catches spent primers is really efficient.

As far as dies, I prefer Forster and Redding, the RCBS match or Gold Medal or whatever they're calling them this week are really good as well. RCBS makes (or made, I haven't checked recently) Cowboy dies that were really beautiful. I doubt they make any better ammo, but the blued die body and color case hardened lock ring are sexy as all get out. I only have them in .45 Colt, but I'd gladly buy them when I start reloading .45-70.

I like Redding presses, at least my T7. I also like my Rock Chuckar II, but the way the T7 catches spent primers is really efficient.

As far as dies, I prefer Forster and Redding, the RCBS match or Gold Medal or whatever they're calling them this week are really good as well. RCBS makes (or made, I haven't checked recently) Cowboy dies that were really beautiful. I doubt they make any better ammo, but the blued die body and color case hardened lock ring are sexy as all get out. I only have them in .45 Colt, but I'd gladly buy them when I start reloading .45-70.
I have the cowboy dies in 45/70 they work well especially for cast bullets. The sizer die opens up the case mouth a little wider for cast bullets that have slightly larger diameter as many are .459/.460 size.

I have RCBS, Lee and Hornady. I really don't care cause all have "rolled" very consistent ammunition for my use but of I had to choose it would be Hornady. It seems they are the easiest to set-up.

As for other equipment.
I like my Hornady press over my RCBS
All trimming done by Lee
RCBS over Hornady for loading trays
RCBS 1500 powder dispenser
Hornady hand primer
Harbor Freight tumbler and arbor press

Lee has good value for me. Their hand held auto prime has done thousands of cases for me, dies are inexpensive, easy to adjust and load good accurate ammo. Then there are shell holders, case trimming equipment, etc. Don't forget factory crimp dies and case lube in a tube. I load on a single stage RCBS press my dad gave me so speed is not a requisite. I have some RCBS dies, Hornady seating dies, a Redding sizing die for the 35 AI but for the bread and butter stuff, I think of Lee as what I would look to first. 30 years of loading one round at a time and it's a pleasure no matter what cartridge or equipment used in the overall picture.

Back