Rebarreling ? Need honesty

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
Let's say a guy ordered a Remage barrel and after attempting to put it on a Rem 700 action the barrel threads are now messed up. After researching and talking to a gunsmith it is determinted that a Savage barrel was shipped.

The barrel was going on with some resistance then suddenly became difficult and was backed off the action. The thought was that the threads jumped the tread and were damaged taking everything apart.

Is this the fault of the guy installing the barrel, or the company that sent the wrong barrel? What would you do to fix the problem if it was your gun?

Thanks

Tough spot. Crap. If a Rem barrel to fit a Rem 700 was ordered and they sent the wrong barrel/thread pattern, then I'd say the company should stand behind sending out a product that was not ordered. Now damaged, or not.

Only way that wouldn't stand up is if they have a disclaimer stating that the barrels can only be installed by a qualified and certified gunsmith. However that's lawyer talk for liability. If I sent out the wrong barrel, the customer would be getting a new correct one if I owned the business. Be the right thing to do if the screw up started with me.

I would say that it's the gunsmith's fault if the threads were damaged ... He's the trained individual putting the barrel on & should be aware if there's an issue.

An analogy would be if you took your car to the mechanic for a brake job & the parts house sent Subaru brakes for your Honda ... the trained mechanic would recognize that there's a problem & not damage/mutilate your Honda. Mistakes happen in shipping & that should be made right. It's not their fault that your gunsmith put a square block in a round hole.

Just my 2 cents.

I would say it is the fault of the supplier, but it also could have been a Rem783 ramage barrel that was sent they have the same 1.055"x20P as the savage, verse the Rem700 1.061"x16P. So you will want to confirm that you ordered a R700, and not a R783 by mistake, if you did order the R700 I would say it is on the supplier. Did it come in a labeled package at all?

I have the order recipt and it is Rem700. I called and tolk them what I had for a donar rifle and did the order over the phone.

I was a self-employed auto mechanic for 35 years , all problems stopped at me . it was up to me to be sure it was correct .

Hmmm, I'd say that if the manufacturer said it was something it wasn't then they are definitely are mostly responsible. I would ask them to replace it. If the gunsmith was real careful he could have avoided the problem, but I could see why a gunsmith might not be checking the threads of every part he installs when it is supposed to be correct. Had it been more obvious of an issue, maybe I would hold the gunsmith responsible, but what he did basically made sense I think. Don't know.

I guess it should be made clear what happened here. I took it by the way the question was framed that it was likely WT ordered the barrel and tried to install it. Not sure why you would need to research it and talk to a gunsmith about it, if a gunsmith was who installed it.

To me, that changes who's responsible from the customers standpoint. The last proffessional in the line that's being paid to make sure it's right, is where the buck stops.

ShadeTree, is correct, I attempted to thread the barrel. I had the barrel in the vice, started the action with the wrench. I'm guessing I made 3-5 spins with the wrench and started hearing/feeling something wrong, so I backed it off and found the damaged threads on the barrel. After that, I met up with a local smith and he looked it over. His thinking is that the thread pitch is wrong on the barrel and that the threads in the action still look good. One thing he mentioned was that the barrel nut went on the barrel so smooth. That is what made him think that it is not a Rem barrel. I will contact the seller Monday morning and go from there.

Something is definitely wrong with the barrel end. The couple of Howages I did the receiver spun on by hand easily , no need for a wrench. I hope the barrel manufacturer comes through for you.

I contacted the seller and he said there is no way he sent the wrong barrel and that my action is the issue. I handed it off to a local smith today to look at and hopefully clean up. His thoughts were that if he ran a tap and die over all the threads, I would be back in business. I will keep you posted as I learn more.

Why wouldn't your gunsmith just put a thread gauge on the barrel threads to verify they are 16tpi like a Remington action is? No one wants to admit they are wrong but it happens to even the best of us so I wouldn't take his word for it. 1 1/16 x 16tpi is standard Remington threads. The OD of the barrel threads will probably be 1.058-1.060.

If it came marked "REM700" and it's not that...it's on the seller who shipped the wrong part.

I've installed a whole pile of parts on a bunch of different equipment. You don't normally check thread pitches, etc. on parts that come out of the correct box for the application.

My guess is that a little tap and die work and everything will be good to go.

Glad it all went well with your gunsmith.
Sounds like you are back on track.

JD338

Now you’re on the right track. Good luck on finishing up your rifle.

Back