Red Deer and Barnes 180 TSX from 300 WBY

EOD Diver

Handloader
Dec 30, 2011
So lucked into a Red Deer today using a friend’s, apparently very lucky, Sauer M80 rifle. Was shooting Barnes 180 TSX on top of a 300 WBY, wearing a can. It’s nice and quiet with very little recoil, everything a 300 WBY shouldn’t be. Managed to put one behind the shoulder at a bit under 50 yards. Did the usual high kick and ran a good ways (about 200 yds) before expiring. Complete penetration with a quarter sized exit, taking out both lungs and grazing the heart. Made for a great day and should be fine eating.
V/R,
Joe

Attachments

• 205C8471-E197-490A-9B8E-B5590343E365.jpeg
    205C8471-E197-490A-9B8E-B5590343E365.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 614
Heck yeah Joe! Congrats buddy! Now a 300 Wby with the can sounds like a lot of fun!

Glad you’re tearing it up over there.

Did you get to keep any of the meat? I’d love to know how it compares to elk!

Congratulations. Red deer would be on my bucket list if I had one. Dan

Thank you, guys! This hunt was at the Hohenfels training area in Bavaria. It was a cull hunt to keep the numbers manageable. The state then butchers the meat and offers it for sale to the public, hence the required use of lead free. It compares well with elk as a game meat. I saw a bunch of big stags, but they had already met their quota for the year and were off limits. It’s always nice to be out in the field again! I managed to find the load recipe in the box of cartridges I was using.
V/R,
Joe

Attachments

• AD49A68F-3108-440E-8555-F4BF8B507FEF.jpeg
    AD49A68F-3108-440E-8555-F4BF8B507FEF.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 614
  • 29CDB883-334B-48F9-81FD-8C19B9F4FD5C.jpeg
    29CDB883-334B-48F9-81FD-8C19B9F4FD5C.jpeg
    447.9 KB · Views: 614
Congratulations!
I saw 6 red deer today on a driven hunt but in full flight outside my limit. Still a beautiful sight!

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Very neat. Glad you were able to make the hunt. I have to imagine that the can helped make the hunt more pleasant at the moment when the trigger was pulled.

Thanks guys. The rifle belongs to the Forst Meister who manages the area for wildlife. I believe that the position typically requires doctorate in Forestry. He explained that the rifle was his father’s and is one of the many great examples of a German/American partnership. A fan of the German Weatherby rifles myself, I’d have to say he’s right. It’s proved very lucky for me and I’m always honored that he allows me to use it. A Bavarian, he’s about as nice and polite as they come. Attached is the best photo I have of it and it’s from our hunt in October. It’s a real peach to shoot with the can on it. I hope you all are doing well!
V/R,
Joe

Attachments

• CF652392-13F6-47B3-B582-2029A7522C8D.jpeg
    CF652392-13F6-47B3-B582-2029A7522C8D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 590
Second that!
A can really tames them.

Btw: 200y after a solid hit - sometimes they simply do not want to accept they are dead...

EOD Diver":vulidp0o said:
Thanks guys. The rifle belongs to the Forst Meister who manages the area for wildlife. I believe that the position typically requires doctorate in Forestry. He explained that the rifle was his father’s and is one of the many great examples of a German/American partnership. A fan of the German Weatherby rifles myself, I’d have to say he’s right. It’s proved very lucky for me and I’m always honored that he allows me to use it. A Bavarian, he’s about as nice and polite as they come. Attached is the best photo I have of it and it’s from our hunt in October. It’s a real peach to shoot with the can on it. I hope you all are doing well!
V/R,
Joe

Very cool. I wished we Americans would get on board with suppressors. Such a game changer for extended shooting and recoil benefits. Very cool to see the euro sorta scope mounting with the can hanging off the wood/blued rifle chambered in a hammer of a cartridge.

SJB358":20a6yljp said:
EOD Diver":20a6yljp said:
V/R,
Joe

Very cool. I wished we Americans would get on board with suppressors. Such a game changer for extended shooting and recoil benefits. Very cool to see the euro sorta scope mounting with the can hanging off the wood/blued rifle chambered in a hammer of a cartridge.
It took ages to legalize them here.
Politicians got their opinion from James Bond that there is only a plopp firing a gun. With big game rifles.
Though we would all become assassins. Or at least poachers.
Well - as if people breaking the law would follow gun-laws....

Fun fact:
It was the European Union and people like that Wild Meister opening the door.
We have a workplace protection rule that says that noise has to be eliminated at the source and only if that is not possible, other means can be used.
A suppressor eliminates noise at the source and game wardens hunt as part of the job.
So one went to court and won.
And - oh surprise - there was still a significant BANG!
Took several more years, but now every hunter in Germany is allowed to use a can.
My guns are not threaded. Yet...

I would hunt with a suppressor if they were a lot less expensive.
I've seen a lot that are the price of a rifle, and up. Some are even as expensive as my Weatherby Mark V.
Yikes![emoji51][emoji37]

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Yeah.
Offer and demand.
I hope price will go down here, too.

My guns have to be proof-shot after thraedening them. Stupid law.
Thread and proof-shot €250 per rifle.
Yeah, my girlfriend got one with thread

Back