Reloader 15, an alternative for Varget on the 308

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
I landed 10 lbs. of Reloader 15 a couple of months ago. I heard that it is an excellent powder for the 308, so I bought it as a substitute just in case I run out of Varget. I loaded a couple of rounds just to see if it can match my Varget load.

Here's the bullet data:

IMI Mil-Spec Brass. (sorted to within 1 grain of weight)
Federal 210 match primer
44.0 grain Reloader 15
155 grain Lapua Scenar

Environmental condition:

ASL - 2100 ft
Ambient Temperature: 62 degrees F
Relative Humidity: 72%
Barometric Pressure: 29.9 in/hg

Here's the bullet data as recorded by my Pact Professional Chronograph.

DSC01504.jpg

Here's a 5 shot group on steel target at 250 yards.

DSC01498.jpg

DSC01497.jpg

My Tacti-cool 308
DSC01470.jpg

Overall, I'm satisfied with Reloader 15 performance. I don't mind using this powder as a replacement for Varget.

That'll do. Fine shooting that verifies what many have discovered.

RL15 is a very versatile powder for me also DF. I use it in the 308, 22-250, 35 Whelen and some others in my safe. It seems to be "the" powder for the Whelen. I think they really interchange nicely. You are getting some awesome speeds out of your rifle and the accuracy is GREAT. Thanks for the load work. I need to try that one. Scotty

The Reloader 15 mirrors my Varget load. I used 44 grain against 44.8 for Varget. The velocity are identical and so is the point of impact. I would like to see how this powder behave at varying temperature change.

beretzs":3dha8nb8 said:
RL15 is a very versatile powder for me also DF. I use it in the 308, 22-250, 35 Whelen and some others in my safe. It seems to be "the" powder for the Whelen. I think they really interchange nicely. You are getting some awesome speeds out of your rifle and the accuracy is GREAT. Thanks for the load work. I need to try that one. Scotty

Scotty,

I briefly used this powder on my 35 Remington and 30-30 a couple of years back. I wasn't too impressed with it then since I did not get the result that I was looking for. As a matter of fact I still have about half a pound of that powder left stashed somewhere in my bench.

As far as the speed goes, I attributed that to the super fast Pac-Nor barrel I have on this rifle. I really like this 12 twist-3 grove offerings they have. I bought this barrel blank unturned and my smith did the profiling. He then lapped and air gauge the barrel before chambering. Finding loads for this rifle is a breeze.

DF -
I have been using R15 since it was introduced by Hercules. It is my go-to powder in all the cartridges based off the .308 case and my .338-06. It has been consistant in every lot I have ever purchased and doesn't seem to be temperature sensitive at all. I tried Varget in one of my 7-08's and could not get either the velocity or accuracy that I get with R15.

I'd been happy as could be with Varget for years, but when it became difficult to obtain a couple of years ago, I simply started loading RL-15, getting accuracy that was at least as good, at the same velocity from my .308 Win.

Also found a use for it in the .375 H&H with 260 grain Noslers - talk about accurate... :grin:

Back