Reloading tool- primer pocket cleaner

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
As many of you know, several years ago my father passed away. Up to that point he and some times he and I did all the reloading for my 250-Savage. A few years ago Mom decided that I should take all Dads reloading stuff. Most of it was kept in a small wall cabinet he built (scale, dies, shell holders etc) now hanging on my garage wall. Well last week I was doing a little reloading and came across the "tool" in the pic below. Don't know why I hadn't found/ remembered it before. Got to looking at it and realized that the narrow part would fit the primer pocket exactly. A couple twists and 90% of the powder residue/ carbon in the primer pocket was gone!
There are Probably better things out there that might do a better job but, this is cool. I would bet my hat that it is made from a used commercial hack saw blade, perhaps the same one that Dad made his fillet knife from, which I remember distinctly. Apparently,things were kinda tight when I was a kid, and Dad could make/fix anything.... :)

Aw - Dad.... how lucky am I ?!! CL

Very creative, Troy. Your dad revealed his ability to adapt and overcome. You have a rich heritage.

If your dad came up during or just after the depression he learned you had to do with what you had and nothing went to waste. That evolved into why spend money on something if you could make it. I was thankfully raised by a father with that mentality and he taught me well. I still have the mind set if I just can't make it I will brake down and buy it. I used two small screw drivers filed to fit small and large primer pockets as cleaners for years before I picked up RCBS brushes cheap at a gun show that cleaned in the edge a little better.

Very nice memory and tribute CL.

Your dad was from a generation many have already forgotten.

The top 4 wildcats mentioned the 22-250 was based on the savage 250 case and I immediately thought of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys- I am indeed lucky. Dad was born in '42, so he came along after the depression. However, he was one of four kids, raised and fed from 80 acres. I expect there was never a lot to spare. Tornados took the barn twice before my Dad was in high school. Grandpa rebuilt it both times.... making stuff and making do was usually the order of the day. CL

mjcmichigan":34zmaz48 said:
Very nice memory and tribute CL.

Your dad was from a generation many have already forgotten.

The top 4 wildcats mentioned the 22-250 was based on the savage 250 case and I immediately thought of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't read the article... I forgot that the 22-250 would be considered a wildcat! Also the obscure 6.5 Creedmore ...... :) as I understand it. CL

Back