Remington Magazine Box

1100 Remington Man

Handloader
May 1, 2007
Quick question guys.
Does anyone know the magazine box length on Remington 700 6mm Rem short action box length ?
Also Remington 700 .223 Rem short action box length.
What length is Max length can you reload to still get correct functioning as I don't want single shot in my hunting Rifles I could not get a accurate reading with floor plate in the way.
Getting ready to reload and I noticed
.223 Rem distance to lands with Hornady 53gr V-Max 2.335 inch
6mm Rem distance to lands with Nosler 95gr BT 2.956
I will not be seating to lands but SAMI Max is
.223 Rem is 2.260
6mm Rem is 2.825
Thanks

Remove the floor plate and you can drop the box to read the length, correct?

I found this year with my Rem 700 in 6mm Rem that SAAMI max was all I could do given the short action and short box length.
The 6mm Rem could really use a long action to shine - and to avoid being a single shot rifle. However, I did just fine with 95gr NBT bullets even though the completed ammo looks very stubby.

Not a 700 but assuming a Model 7 uses the same magazine, my Model 7 in 6mm is around 2.865 if I remember correctly. Essentially limiting you to saami length if you want reliable feeding.

the factory mag box I took out of my 700 short action 260 rem measures 2.850 " I've loaded pretty tight to the mag box .010 - .015 gap . I never had a feed issue .

For you that have loaded close to Mag box length did the Rifle recoil set the ones in the mag box deeper ?
I know in the past my lead tipped bullets would get flat spot during recoil in the mag box which I did not like and have since changed to all tipped bullets.

I only shot a few Partitions in my rifle, and they were single shot during sight in.

No issues with the Ballistic Tip.

with a 6mm rem , and a 223 , I doubt there is enough recoil to harm the bullet tips . I'd also think that being loaded close there would be so little movement it couldn't do any damage . I'd say we can think of swinging a hammer in this instance . little short hammer strikes , or long hammer strikes . I can't honestly say if I've ever looked at the bullet tips , or bullet set back , that were in the magazine while it was fired , I'll have to pay attention to this .

Jimbires, some guns will likely never give an issue, all you can do is test them out good and if they're reliable, they're reliable. I had a controlled feed rifle I was running close, basically refuse to feed on me at the worst possible time, in the field hunting. I got it, but it did not want to feed that top cartridge. The bullet point was jamming against tight before the cartridge could move forward enough to jump up for full clearance.

Never had an issue before shooting that gun quite a bit over the summer and fall with that load, so never gave a thought to any feeding issues. Why then, I really don't know. Cold weather constricting numerous metal parts? I also couldn't remember after words if I had ran rounds through from a full mag before with that particular load, I might of always single loaded it up from the magazine. If so perhaps the additional spring pressure made the change that caused problems. Or perhaps that bullet tip was slightly longer.

Bottom line in my case I was running too close of tolerances and it bit me at the wrong time for whatever reason. I doubt I'll run that close again, but if I do but from here on out if I'm pushing the load length on a particular gun, it's getting tested in all scenarios. Slow and easy feeding, aggressive and fast, single mag loading, full mag loading, warm weather, cold weather. I knew I was running close, but never had a hint of an issue before.

You can get the SA out to 2.995 with a Wyatts box. It takes a little bit of machining. It’s an excellent upgrade.

gbflyer":oadnytmb said:
You can get the SA out to 2.995 with a Wyatts box. It takes a little bit of machining. It’s an excellent upgrade.

that's what I did on that 260 rem . I had to open up the action , cut the bolt stop , and open up the stock very little . it worked out great . then I lengthened the throat to take advantage of the long box .

Back