Removing live primers

DON

Handloader
Dec 3, 2013
What is the best method to remove unwanted live primers? I recently pulled some 300 RUM loads apart. I want to reuse the casings but not the primers.
I could fire them using the gun but thought I saw some past postings about using the resizing die to remove them.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Don

just push them out . I use my regular sizing die , or a decapping die . just push them out going slow and steady . I've never had one go off . I keep these primers for fire forming , barrel break in , barrel fouling . I've never had one fail to fire .

if the primers would be crimped in , like military ammo , fire them .

Thanks Jim,
They aren't crimped. These are 300 RUM (Remington cases) with Remington 9-1/2 primers. I'll give the resizing die method a try.

Don

just push them out . I use my regular sizing die , or a decapping die . just push them out going slow and steady . I've never had one go off . I keep these primers for fire forming , barrel break in , barrel fouling . I've never had one fail to fire .

if the primers would be crimped in , like military ammo , fire them .
Comprehensive answer that'll stand you in good stead.

Ya, can't say that I enjoy it. I'm always worried about one popping. So, wear protective glasses/goggles and slowly press 'em out.

I've never popped one that way, but it seems possible. I dunno. It's not something I've had to do very often, and that's fine with me. :)

Guy

Thanks Guy,
I value your opinion, as well as the others who replied. My view point is like yours Guy. Thanks for the heads up with the safety glasses too.
I'm sitting around recovering from Hip Replacement Surgery. Getting bored so started going through all my stock pile of 300 RUM test loads.
This will keep me occupied for a little while.

Don

Thanks Guy,
I value your opinion, as well as the others who replied. My view point is like yours Guy. Thanks for the heads up with the safety glasses too.
I'm sitting around recovering from Hip Replacement Surgery. Getting bored so started going through all my stock pile of 300 RUM test loads.
This will keep me occupied for a little while.

Don
That 300 RUM is one heck of a cartridge. Owned one for less than a year. It was a little too "lively" in the recoil department for me. Rifle was a Rem 700 CDL, with a 26" barrel. Not really any heavier than my 25-06 or 30-06 700 CDL's. I probably should have just put a muzzle brake on it to calm the recoil a bit. But sold it to a younger guy who seems to really enjoy it.

That thing could go through some powder! :) But it also moved a 200 grain bullet fast.

Enjoy your project, I still get interested in 300 RUM information. It's one heck of a cartridge!

Regards, Guy

No big deal to me, but I suppose if one would happen to go off some day it would change my perception. In the last yr alone I pushed out I'm guessing at least 200. All with the purpose of salvaging the bullets and the primers on old reloads that were given to me.

I keep them in separate primer packs and like Jim mentioned above they get used. Fouling shots, fireforming, or for just general loadings such as 110 RN in a M94 30-30. They ignite the powder same as a brand new primer with the same level of accuracy in such a set up.

A long time ago I got a deal on 600 rounds of WW2 30-06. Didn't want to mess with the corrosive primers so I pulled the bullets, salvaged the powder, (Looked like IMR4895) and lube and resized the brass to remove the crimped primers. None went,"bang". FWIW, on the powder, I weighed every tenth round, logged it on paper and averaged it out for a useable weight.
I did the same for another batch of milsurp US made 30-06 where primers were literally mix and match between corrosive and non-corrosive types. Pull 'em all sez I. This time around I used a decapping die from RCBS which I also use when pulling bullets from load that were not satisfactory.
Regardless of the tool uses, a slow gentle push makes for noise free decapping. Not one single primer ever went off from those shells that used a crimp.
Paul B.

Back