rifle jump

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
I seem to have an "on again, off again" problem with consistency. I understand that best accuracy results come from the rifle coming straight back upon firing with of course some muzzle jump straight up.

I am having a problem with the rifle coming back but jumping up and to the right. I have tried different set ups and different shoulder positions on the butt. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Typically I will have 2 shots touching (or almost so) and then one 1" or so away.

Like I said, this is not all the time but it is baffling.

Long

I use a Sinclair/Hart front rest and a bunny ear type rear bag. I position the front rest so that the front of the action is at the rear of the front bag. The farther the front rest is positioned away from the action, the more jump you will get with standard rifles. I am not talking about bench rest type rifles but hunting rifles.Rick.

Is the shot that's out of the group the last shot fired in the group? If you're shooting 3 shot groups is it the 3rd. that ruins your group? If so your barrel may be too hot by the third shot. By the 3rd. shot in a sporter weight barrel, it's already hot. Try taking your time and spacing your shots especially with a rifle that has substantial recoil. It's also true that many of us don't push the front of the stock far enough forward. Usually the balance point is seveal inches further back. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Good points . . . thanks. I will try the rest change. I shot some more last Saturday and the barrel never heated up. Typically groups were just under 1" with a few being over. I was a lot more careful with my shoulder pressure etc... and the weird recoil did go away.

Now, I gotta get these groups down if possible. Will try lengthening my OAL and see what happens.

Long

Back