Ruger American

thatguySHM

Beginner
Feb 11, 2017
So after watching Whittakers for about three weeks and getting the blessing from my best half, I pulled the trigger and ordered a Ruger American 22-250. It is the special they had Ruger do with the 8 twist stainless barrel, and were on sale for $283 shipped. I wanted a beater coyote rifle that I wasn't going to modify until it didn't resemble the factory offering any longer, using components I already had.

After receiving the rifle I mounted a 2x7 on it, cleaned it and put it away, knowing I won't be able to shoot it until after the holidays. I have a bunch of 22-250 brass from a former rifle that has been torn down. I figured I would check my processed brass to see if I would need to bump the shoulders back any or make any changes to it.

Therein lies the problem. It would not chamber a piece of brass, no big deal, I'll use some factory ammo I had laying around. Wouldn't accept that either so warning bells started going off. I put the rifle down and contacted Ruger, but they just wanted the rifle back to look at. So after a few days I went back to figure it out. The rifle would work if I was rough and slammed the bolt home, and it was beating up the case head. I took the ejector out as it appeared to have a burr from milling out the ejector slot. I took care of the burr and tried a piece of brass with no ejector, and no change.

All that was left was to remove the extractor and try it. Bingo, extractor was the issue. Contacted Ruger again, they are sending a a

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

They are sending a new ball, extractor, and spring. The extractor plate will not move side to side easily, so it is difficult to get the case head to seat flush to the bolt face. I had a Savage extractor spring laying around that seemed to fit well, so I started clipping coils a quarter at a time. It's better but still not like it should.

I'm assuming with an entry level rifle such as this it's going to take some time to wear in properly, but it is a bit frustrating. I am not a fan of beating on any rifle, but was wondering if this is the new normal with today's entry rifles.

Sorry for the two posts, seemed to be a glitch with my tapatalk.

Huh. I think you just got a bad one. The only one I've shot, a 7mm-08, worked perfectly and was amazingly accurate.

Guy

I have a RA in 30/06. Some day I hope I can build a custom that is as accurate and reliable as it is. Sounds like one got away from them though, but I understand their CS is top notch. It’s disheartening and frustrating to have to ship one back for sure. Sounds like their sending you some parts? That’s awesome! Most manufacturers assume their customers are inept.

I've got a couple of these and they worked as advertised straight out of the box. My .223 came with a magazine for one of the standard short action guns. Ruger's CS took care of it very quickly and shipped me a magazine within a few days.

Just knowing something about manufacturing- these are very simple designs. I'm not surprised they have a few mistakes get out the door, especially considering the price point.

Yeah I thought they were unusually smooth actions for the price point, didn't think it would be normal but I've only handled a few. I hope the new ejector will solve the issue, time will tell I guess. I wanted to at least get things started before the holidays, and if I have to ship it back, I'll do so after the new year.

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm awfully excited to shoot this, and it will be a great truck gun with the 70gr AccuBond when it's finally released.

Bought one in a .270Win that would only chamber certain brands of factory ammo by leaning on the handle. Took to my gunsmith who checked it with other brands and only one would chamber smoothly with the extractor in or removed. Called Ruger and told them all about it. They said return it, sent a shipping label and week later the called saying they were going to replace it no charge. This one worked perfect and groups under an inch. So because of their customer service to me I bought another one in .223Rem and it is a shooter with no problems. Dan.

You can read about this on the ‘net or watch videos, but the trigger takes well to a bit of tuning. Some polishing of the sear and cut the trigger spring down to be JUST under 0.600 inches, and you can adjust it to 2 pounds of pull. Makes it a much nicer rifle to use.

My friends and I have several amoung us, no issues with them so far. They just end up at my shop for a trigger tune and then head to the field.

I also swap for Talley one piece rings/bases.

If they have to replace it, do you pay another transfer fee? I would assume they do since they can't mail a new rifle to the house, correct?

thatguySHM":mzkpldj3 said:
If they have to replace it, do you pay another transfer fee? I would assume they do since they can't mail a new rifle to the house, correct?

Can’t speak for Ruger but I once returned what was left of a Marlin Guide Gun. They sent me a brand new rifle, to my house not the FFL.

gbflyer said:
thatguySHM said:

Ruger had to send it to a FFL but he didn't charge me a transfer fee. Dan.

So by having an extra Savage extractor spring laying around that fit, I didn't mind modifying that one and putting my Ruger one away safely to see if I could fix the problem. I kept clipping the Savage spring first by 1/3rd then by 1/4 of a coil at a time. It involved a lot of disassembly and reassembly, one lost ball and a bolt that closes better than it did from the factory. I will reassemble with the Ruger replacement parts that they send me but when feeding with a continuous motion from the magazine it would generally seat to the boltface.

So I took it to the range today to try it out. Looks like this one is a problem child as the magazine isn't great either but that's a known American problem, will contact Ruger yet again to let them know three in the magazine causes a nose dive.

That being said, I don't want to send the rifle back. 60gr Vmax were well under an inch with a 2x7x33 VX1, and some 68gr Hornady BTHP shot around .75" without much effort on my end. The 60gr Vmax with CFE223 in 20 degree weather shot about 3"at 300, which is a load I used in my old 22-250, so no development has been done. I'm not great with a 7 power at distance, I generally use them for close in so I will have to practice with it.

Just needs to be polished up some and it will be even better. It's frustrating but I'll get it worked out.

Got my extractor kit from Ruger today, they are numbered. The rifle came with a number 3 installed, the kit came with a number 1. It is smooth as glass now. Anyone know what a number 3 would be for?

Glad to hear that you are resolving the issue.
The 1 8' twist is what the 22:250 should be.

JD338

JD338":20og75t9 said:
Glad to hear that you are resolving the issue.
The 1 8' twist is what the 22:250 should be.

JD338

Would only be better at 7! I’d really like a try at those 88 ELDs!

I've got some 69gr TMK loaded up to try on coyotes. Gonna throw a bunch more 60gr Vmax down the tube to help in break in. I don't do a significant amount of load work up until I've got about 60 rounds down the tube.

Back