Ruger P97DC

James B

Beginner
Feb 10, 2005
I just bought one and am picking it up tomorrow. Has anyone used this gun? I have had several Ruger nine MM's but this is my first composite 45. What do you think is a good defense load for this pistol. I will load 200 Grain SWC for practice and plinking. How is the 180 Nosler rated for defense?

This bullet would work fine for defensive purposes, HOWEVER, in todays
legal system it is recomended to use factory ammo to shoot the bad guys.

James B":3qv1iadv said:
I just bought one and am picking it up tomorrow.

I completly agree....this is actually what my theisis was based upon.

I have the Ruger P in 45 ACP and love it. Nice gun, reliable and durable.

What is the big deal with using handloads for defense? How does the leagal system come after you for this? It seems to me that target ammo is for targets, and if you keep it handy and some bad guy comes along then he gets hit with target fodder, so what? Can some one fill me in on why factory ammo is less offensive? I'll do what ever it takes to stay out of jail, but I just want to understand the arguments, it doesn't make sense to me at fisrt glance.

I have owned three ruger P's. One was a P-97dc

the gun handled great and shot better than is needed for this type of gun. The only problem I ever had was the trigger take up in single action (a problem solved in the new p345 I now own). I had good accuracy with federal Hydroshocks and they are the round of choice for many law enforcement that still use the 45. In 235g they are a sure stopper and feed as well as ball ammo. Try what ever you intend on using to make sure it works well in your gun. I have seen some of the rugers that hated one bullet and loved another.

Remember many 45 GI Ball have accounted for stops.

Back