SAKO A III ?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Not sure what a SAKO A III is. Not real familiar with SAKO rifles. This 7mm Remington Magnum has a nice looking walnut stock, very good factory sights. It looks good and feels good. Has some wear marks here and there. Nothing that bugs me.

Can anyone tell me a bit about the SAKO A III? Any drawbacks?

Thinking about this as a gift for my son. His birthday is coming up. :)

Thanks, Guy

Guy. I too was looking at a Sako AV rifle this week. The guy selling this bought it new and it has spent all it's life in the safe.

I held it, like it, but I already have the same rifle in 280AI thus didn't buy it. But still
Keep pondering it

Attachments

• 97270229-059E-4882-B877-4DC8C44D835B.jpeg
    97270229-059E-4882-B877-4DC8C44D835B.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 10
Not sure what a SAKO A III is. Not real familiar with SAKO rifles. This 7mm Remington Magnum has a nice looking walnut stock, very good factory sights. It looks good and feels good. Has some wear marks here and there. Nothing that bugs me.

Can anyone tell me a bit about the SAKO A III? Any drawbacks?

Thinking about this as a gift for my son. His birthday is coming up. :)

Thanks, Guy
Guy i have 2 sako's a model 75 and an av. Love both rifles,both good shooters. The only drawback is the price. My model 75 the stock cracked behind the rear tang from the action screw coming loose. The only original replacement stock i could find was $1000. The screw kept coming loose because the rear action screw was to short. Check and see if the rear action screw comes up flush with the action. Mine was only coming up half way through the action threads I got a longer screw and it hasn't come loose since. If you can get it for under a $1000 grap it.

Guy,
Not a lot of drawbacks with a Sako that is in good condition, scope rings will cost you a little more so that is something to keep in mind if it does/doesn't come with any. Like Sako2 said, under $1000(with rings) isn't bad. I picked up a L61R(model before the AIII/AV) in 25/06 heavy barrel with rings last month at a gun show for $750 asking price was $899(I couldn't pass it up)

If I am recalling correctly, the A I, II, III, and V were various action lengths and non-magnum/magnum designations of the older Sako actions. (I recently read a good article on-line that provided the history of these rifles, and their designations, but unfortunately do not recall the source or writer at this moment).
Sako's actions are known for their smoothness, and the rifles known for their accuracy.
I have 2 LH AV's (customized 7MM STW and an original 338 Win Mag), and both shoot well and cycle very well, and the LH L691 Full Stocked Carbine version in 30-06 (also very smooth cycling), which I have yet taken the opportunity to shoot or hunt with.
As mentioned above, the action screws on some can be an issue that needs to be addressed.

If you are happy with the price, I would not hesitate to grab it for your son. It will be a quality forearm which he will cherish for years to come, and should be part of many grand adventures and great memories!

Hardly ever hear someone bad mouth a Sako. All I have seen and shot and the couple I have are Excellent rifles. If I wasn't such a Winchester hound I'd be all over them.

Back