mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
For a bedroom self defense gun..

I’m thinking AR15 platform, 10.5” barrel,
Crimson trace and a light.

Would you go with 5.56mm or 9mm?

I am pretty open to both.

The short barrel strikes me as practical in the house or up close and personal.

My AR has a 20” barrel and 1:7 twist.

I think if,I loaded 9mm my wife would shoot it...but the 5.56 might be a bit much for her.

She likes 38 special, does not like 357mag.
She likes my 9mm over my 1911 45acp.. it’s the recoil.

Anyone have experience with the AR pistol size?

Any consideration I’m missing?

Thanks!
Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5.56 all the way for me MJ. They’re pretty handy and you’ll enjoy it immensely. I love the pistols and with the correct ammo in them they are very sweet little rigs.

Cartridge wise, either will do the job of "bedroom self-defense." As to firing platform, man there are a lot of people posting here who are far more experienced than I am.

I built one last year in a 10” barrel and decided to go with 300 blackout, mainly because it’s gets the best majority of it’s possible speed out of a short barrel. It runs about 2200 FPS with 125gr.

The 223 is no slouch either if you choose to go that way, I just really like the assortment of .30 cal bullets to use.

I’ve been shopping some 5.5” barrels, but I’m really not sure yet.

All this said, I really am not a huge fan of AR’s, I bought one because it had a funny print on the side of a Unicorn with a rainbow over the top, and the safety says safe space haha. I do believe for home defense a short pistol grip shot gun may be better, Less moving parts, less chance of jamming, etc.

SJB358":2b0u18mn said:
5.56 all the way for me MJ. They’re pretty handy and you’ll enjoy it immensely. I love the pistols and with the correct ammo in them they are very sweet little rigs.
Thanks for the PSA tip! Loving the AR. Love the Geisel trigger too. Things been so crazy, kinda like picking left overs everywhere.

I did find a little store with primers and powder...

Have my bench and a new press. Haven’t loaded since the dams breaking, but pretty close. Today was ceiling painting...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s pretty hard to go wrong with a 9mm using Glock magazines. The down side to 5.56 is the muzzle blast is atrocious. Without a supressor it would be terrible to use inside the house.

The up side to Glock mags and 9mm is same mags for several weapons. These all use Glock mags.

76dcc0df8f05925ae95c93aace722a2c.jpg

b5cd925ae79f37eba97b169529bc5e54.jpg

They all ran well with no performance issues but in the end I settled on the ruger pc charger. It makes an excellent home defense platform.

cb6e755ae137d0e5406c95aa4b56a9dc.jpg

As soon as my 9mm supressor is out of NFA purgatory it will spend most of its time on here.

Not all the various 9mm AR15 platforms are as universal as the 5.56 version. There are a lot of proprietary parts that done work across the board. That said the PSA AR9 was cheap and worked like a champ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't discount the 300 Blackout. I built one with a 9" barrel and it provides me plenty of power and quick handling for home defense.

JD338

I have a 4.5" 5.56, and although it functions 100%, the muzzle blast is atrocious. Short and handy, and would certainly do the job. A 9mm in the same configuration would probably be just as effective at close range. The ability to place the rounds accurately is definitely increased when running the 9mm AR Platform vs a handgun.

Thebear_78":1elijfba said:
It’s pretty hard to go wrong with a 9mm using Glock magazines. The down side to 5.56 is the muzzle blast is atrocious. Without a supressor it would be terrible to use inside the house.

The up side to Glock mags and 9mm is same mags for several weapons. These all use Glock mags.

76dcc0df8f05925ae95c93aace722a2c.jpg

b5cd925ae79f37eba97b169529bc5e54.jpg

They all ran well with no performance issues but in the end I settled on the ruger pc charger. It makes an excellent home defense platform.

cb6e755ae137d0e5406c95aa4b56a9dc.jpg

As soon as my 9mm supressor is out of NFA purgatory it will spend most of its time on here.

Not all the various 9mm AR15 platforms are as universal as the 5.56 version. There are a lot of proprietary parts that done work across the board. That said the PSA AR9 was cheap and worked like a champ.

Bear 78,

Thank you for the pictures etc.

Also thank you for vote of confidence with PSA.

Thank you for the vote on the 9mm glock config. Considering my wife would likely be the person wielding it, the suppressor is a good idea. Added weight and not has sharp report.

Everyone - just Wow!

Love this forum and appreciate everyone sharing what they’ve learned along the way!

JD338":276eb9m2 said:
Don't discount the 300 Blackout. I built one with a 9" barrel and it provides me plenty of power and quick handling for home defense.

JD338
JD, I was wondering about the 300 blackout. I could well imagine it to be very effective.

Ok, so I gotta share my little blackout pistol with the funny safe space/triggered safety. I mean who could resist rainbows and unicorns hahaha.

d1c1519fb5344ac1663be387c2d278e3.jpg

a37effee2d0720f4b029ed1dfaea18f3.jpg

im currently putting together a PCC 9mm but it will have a 16" barrel , also i am going to use the endomag pmag conversion kits.

Suppressor.

Very important if you're going to be shooting indoors. Otherwise permanent hearing loss. Perhaps all hearing.

That's particularly true with things like a short barreled 5.56 firearm. Horrendous muzzle blast.

I believe that's a very important consideration.

Regards, Guy

Guys not kidding, you touch off a 556 pistol inside a small room and you will have permanent hearing damage. That’s another reason I like 300 BLK and 9mm supressed

You guys sold me on the can.

Being it would likely be in my wife’s hands, I’ll probably go 9mm.

Back