Seekins Havak PH1 300 WM

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
A couple years ago I sold my 300 RUM because the barrel was too skinny to thread for a suppressor. Ever since then I have been missing a med magnum in my arsenal.

I had been kicking around the idea of building a 300 PRC or 300 WSM. Something fairly light and a little more conventional than my chassis rifles. I also was checking out some factory options. The Christensen ridgeline, Mesa, MPR, and seekins havak. I wasn’t in love with the stock on the ridge line or mess. The havak was more to my liking.

Fast forward to my noticing cabelas was having a sale on the havak ph1. My local candela’s had 3 in stock. I just happened to also have a $100 cabelas gift card. At $1600 out the door that made the havak too good to pass up.

I just happened to have a vortex PST GEN II 5-25x50 sitting on the shelf so it came together quickly.

I picked up a couple boxes of Hornady precision hunter 200gr ELD-X to give it a test run.

46bed3201a47ab90fcfb5529ec95a467.jpg

I took it to the range to run a few rounds they it to see how it will shoot. I was pleasantly I impressed. The first 3 rounds at 100 yards clustered into a nice .55” group. After a little fine tuning I shout this 5 shot group.
2f26f1851c41f553eef4f26d973883e6.jpg

Looks as if things are working out rather well for you. That rifle certainly does what to work for you. Congratulations.

It’s not light by any means. It weighs right around 9 pounds all up. It’s really not bad considering 2+ pounds of glass on top. A little heavier than the Christensen but has a nice slightly barrel heavy balance to it. Recoil was also quite pleasantly absent.

Now I just need to get a good set of 300 win mag dies and work up a good load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. (y)

Glen Seekins is one heck of a guy, and a real success story. He's quite the rifleman and adventurer too. I suspect that the rifle will perform quite well for you.

Guy

Very cool rifle Bear. Hard to hate a rifle that shoots like that outta the gate.

That's impressive. Bone stock factory rifle and ammo. Todays rifleman have some great choices. I know what you mean about the Mesa. Looked at them a lot but can't get past the loggoed floorplate. Looking forward to seeing how this works out. Losing a pound of scope is easy for field work. Good luck.

Changed it up a little. I hadn’t been able to quite get the cheek weld I wanted. I put a set of seekins low rings and a foam cheek pad. I also put a rail on the forend for my atlas bipod.

f127b3fb6657ac284b6fc59039807d3f.jpg

The lower rings and cheek pad allowed for a perfect cheek weld. I took it out and checked zero and shot this 3 shot group.

be933e4a67162d9c1841f690f112a19a.jpg

It tips the scale just shy of 9 pounds. Not quite as light as I had hoped but really not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It surely is satisfying when a new or new-to-you rifle shoots so well out of the gate with factory ammo!
Congrats!
May it provide you many successful adventures afield!

Back