Sellier & Bellot, .30, 180gr SPCE bullet

Lorka

Beginner
Sep 9, 2022
Here in Hungary the versatility of the ammo is obviously different than in US. We do not have any US bullet in the shops. Nosler, Speer, Hornady, Federal is almost impossible to get. Or at least just a few boxes. Therefore we rely on the EU manufacturers: RWS, Sellier and Bellot, PPU more and more.

I have a Howa Bull barrel, and for this wonderful rifle I use the Soft Point Cutting Edge - SPCE ammo.
It far from any specialty, but it is a pretty good allarounder.
Here you can find beside a 200gr Speer:
spce_vs_speer sp_2.jpeg

I use this ammo with Norma 201 powder(39,35gr). Which pushes it up to 2400fps.
The grouping is excellent and the howa really likes it.
I tried this with Vectan Tubal 3000(37,38gr), which also gives outstanding grouping but the velocity is lower: 2300fps.
With CFE223(43,98gr) it is around 2500fps.
None of these charges are at the hot end so still place for improvement.

The vectan powder is a really good for the 150gr-165gr ones. with 38,58grains of this powder tha Sierra PHSP gave 2450fps with consistent grouping
I really like the CFE which can handle a massive range of calibers and ammo.

I did have shot 2 wild boars with this ammo.
The first one was a youngster and did not make a step. The bullet hit some bone and did its job.
The second one was a bit strange.
Without a drop of blood the 150lbs boar went 50m and died. The ammo entered through the shoulder plate and went out at a soft side, passing through the stomach.
It was a fat one so possibly that layer was the blame. The fat clogged both holes so it did not bleed.

I will keep you updated her if there will be any new experience. :)

Last edited:
Lorka,

What 30 cal cartridge are you shooting!

JD338

Very interesting. I would love to see a cross-section of that stepped bullet. In the jacket the same thickness on the front end as on the back end? Dan

This is serendipitous news. I've been looking at the SPCE for 308 Win, but haven't been able to find anything concrete as far as firsthand experience is concerned. So, thank you.

Very interesting. I would love to see a cross-section of that stepped bullet. In the jacket the same thickness on the front end as on the back end? Dan
I think it is nor a AB type back, more likely a standard thickness everywhere.
The cutting edge also holds together the lower body.
That's why I do not really want to push the velocity higher. I assume above 800mps it would deform much more on impact, so deeper effect wpuld be reduced. (Although I have to check the factory ammo speed)

It can be seen here:

I think it is nor a AB type back, more likely a standard thickness everywhere.
The cutting edge also holds together the lower body.
That's why I do not really want to push the velocity higher. I assume above 800mps it would deform much more on impact, so deeper effect wpuld be reduced. (Although I have to check the factory ammo speed)

It can be seen here:
Thank you for providing this link. Very informative. Dan

Back