Shot the Big Boomer today

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
Today was my first experience with a big bore rifle (other than rifled shotguns).

I installed the bases and scope this morning on the 450 Marlin MXLR and I think I found out why the previous owner swapped it off. I noticed when I took of the old Weaver base that two of the base screws were loose. One of rear screw holes had a very bad burr preventing the bases from contacting the top of the receiver correctly. Also, the front screw was too long for the front hole (a blind hole ending on the barrel), preventing the front screw from securing the base to the receiver. I am betting that the base moved around on him.

Any way, I mounted my new bases and scope (which I discovered I don't like now that I have them) and started sighting in with the 350 gr FP factory loads. When that was "on" at 100 yards I switched to the 325 gr FTX factory loads. Unfortunately, the two POI's were significantly different and I had to re-zero with the 325 FTX's.

Although, I didn't really shoot groups, it appears to shoot fairly accurately, especially the 325 gr. FTX's. My last two bullets on the same scope setting at 100 yards were only 13/16" of an inch apart C/C.

I set up a gallon paint can full of water at 50 yards to test the 50 yd. mark on the reticule. I have shot paint cans full of water before and had them rip open. However, this one didn't rip apart - it blew apart into pieces. I couldn't believe it. I recovered the FTX bullet after it went through the paint can and into a water saterated dirt bank. It made a 4" diameter hole that penetrated about 18 - 24"" into the bank and the jacket was turned competely inside out. I also recovered base of the lead core from the hole.

I also recovered a 350 gr. FP bullet that had hit into the same water saterated dirt bank. It also made a 4" diameter hole that penetrated about 30". That bullet was a perfect mushroom that measured about .760" x .680" across the widest and narrowest points of the mushroom.

I did not realize that these .458" bullets mushroomed like that.

I think the rifle will be a "keeper". Now that I believe it shoots well, I would like to get the WWG ejector and the WWG trigger/sear. This trigger measures at 4-1/2 lbs and seems like a lot compared to the Remington 700 Custom at 3 lbs.

Next year I will trade out the Talley bases and Leupold Ultimateslam scope with S.A.B.R. reticule. I will get the DNZ solid one piece base/ring base and a Leupold VX-3 scope. I should have done that from the beginning.

I didn't find the recoil too bad. But, then again I wore a Cabelas shoulder pad with an extra layer of padding. I also, pulled the rifle tighter than I do the .270.

All-in-all it was kinda fun. Thanks to the forum "enablers" who talked me into the purchase/trade. You "did good" with this one.

Oh, almost forgot about the velocities. First of all, I was surprised at how consistent the velocities were.

Actual 350 gr. FP = 2019 fps vs advertised value of 2100 fps. 80 fps difference.
Actual 325 gr. FTX = 2146 fps vs advertised value of 2225 fps. 80 fps difference.

It is great fun shooting the big bore lever guns, to be certain. Sounds as if you are moving toward a diagnosis that will allow you to truly enjoy the rifle. Congratulations.

Sounds like it will be a great gun for you, congrats. I'm curious as to what you didn't like about your current scope and rings and what VX-3 you are wanting to put on it? Sounds like the Hornady 350 gr in particular is a great bullet.

Gerry, normally I like the Talley base/ring system. The bases are contoured to match the curve of the receiver of the rifle, they fit well, and create a good amount of surface contact between the base and the receiver. The model 1895 has a narrow flat topped receiver and the Talley base/ring has a groove down the center where the screw holes are. The bases are wider than the receiver. The result is that there is very little actual surface contact between the base and the receiver. As you know when two pieces are bolted together, it is the friction created between the surfaces that prevent shear movement. There just isn't that much surface area to create friction with this combination of base and receiver. With the Talley base/ring there is a front base/ring and a back base/ring and the screws of one don't help hold the base of the other. That may be an issue with so little surface contact.

A one piece base seems more appropriate rifle. You may get the benefit of surface contact the entire length of the base. Also, there will be four screws holding one piece to the receiver.

The UltimateSlam scope designed for slug guns and muzzleloaders has a S.A.B.R. reticule. The UltimateSlam scope is less expensive than the VX-3's which was a factor in my decision to buy it. However, my UltimateSlam scope doesn't provide as clear an image as my VX-3 (and other VX-3 scopes I have used). I guess I am spoiled by the clear image of the VX-3 and find it difficult to accept less.

Also, I find the S.A.B.R. reticule "too busy" for me. The center circle makes it difficult for me to clearly see the crosshair centering on the bullseye. Also, the 3 MOA dot for the 200 yard aim point is too big for my preference. All-in-all, I would prefer the "less busy" B&C reticule with the fine crosshair aim points.

Now, I am sure that these bases and scope will function just fine and I am sure I will shoot a deer with it this fall. There is NOTHING WRONG with the base/rings and the scope. But, at this time, I simply think I prefer something else such as a one piece base, and the VX-3 scope with B&C reticule. I think I would get the 2.5-8x36. It is least magnification I can get with the B&C reticule and I like the 36mm objective for light gathering, even if I use a lower power setting.

Dan

Seems you had good fun with the .450! Excellent. I really like those big bore Marlins, be they .444, .450 or .45/70. My two were .45/70's and it was great fun to take them to the range and enjoy making Big Holes in stuff!

Here's a comparison test I did of the 350 gr Hornady and the 350 gr Swift A-Frame, each loaded to over 2,000 fps, from my .45/70 Marlin.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=16517

Bullet expansion, particularly with the Hornady, was dramatic! I also really gained an appreciation for the rather expensive Swift A-Frame. Quite a bullet. Prettiest doggone mushroom...

Enjoy that big bore, it's quite a rifle!

Regards, Guy

Guy, thanks for pointing the post out to me. What do you think of the 325 gr. FTX? My immediate use will be for whitetail deer and black bear. Dan

Never used the Hornady FTX myself. From what I've seen on the 'net, they appear to expand well.

Guy

I shot this again yesterday. It is more accurate than I expected for a lever gun with factory ammo. I even took a shot at 200 yards using the 200 yard dot on the Ultimate Slam muzzleloader, shotgun slug scope. It worked! It is pretty interesting to me that I can use it out to 200 yards and easily hit a deer or bear. I think it may become my official "doe" gun, after I have tagged my buck with the 270.

The big bores are a lot of fun. I shot a couple of does using a 38-55 in a model 94 when I was younger. Not sure if it would even be classified as a big bore :wink:?

Blessings,
Dan

Very nice Dan. I had that same scope on my 45-70 at one point and had no problems making 300 yard hits with it, but I gave it up since, like you, didn't like the center crosshair very much and the glass wasn't as good as I thought it should be.

Your rifle sounds very accurate and would be more than enough to tumble any black bear or deer!

The 325 FTX's aren't bad bullets if get to around 2000FPS. Push them too hard and they will come apart, keep em around that 2000 mark and they work pretty well. Can't wait to see some more groups outta the rifle! Congrats!

Back