Side wind effect on drop

noslerpartition

Handloader
May 26, 2018
Hi fellas,
I guess the thread fits here...
I played with Streloc Pro a bit and according to the app, for my rifle, zeroed at 100 m, the difference in drop would be four clicks (1/4 moa) @200 meters between no wind and 5m/s (~15 FPS) from a right angle. Is that realistic?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220416-113437.png
    Screenshot_20220416-113437.png
    227.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20220416-113421.png
    Screenshot_20220416-113421.png
    231.9 KB · Views: 4
Not sure what is going on with your calculations. On my Streloc 90* wind doesn’t effect elevation and it shouldn’t. Head and tail winds is different story.

Not sure what is going on with your calculations. On my Streloc 90* wind doesn’t effect elevation and it shouldn’t. Head and tail winds is different story.
You can exclude the effect in the settings.
I was wondering if there is such an effect to that degree.
Like wing-effects if the bullet spins into the wind.
I will check if wind from the other side has the same effect.
Just did. It has makes a difference from which side the wind comes considering you spin (left or right).
Just wanted to check if someone saw that in real life

Last edited:
Wind combined with a right hand twist barrels primarily for the US, I don’t know what you have for Germany (RH or LH twist barrels). Can make a difference.
What cartridge, bullet, and muzzle velocity?

In this case, a savage in 6,5 Creedmoor with the Lehigh 123 gr bullet.
Haven't checked the twist direction.
MV around 2820

My shooter app doesn't show the difference, that does take place vertically with crosswinds.
The real challenge is truly having a full value wind that is the same from 0-200 yards, and then having a gun and a shooter that is accurate enough to show the difference.
Whether there would be a 2" vertical difference at 200 yards, I am not sure.
Best thing to do is go out and play in different conditions and see what you get

Back