Simple, but a favorite of mine.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
So easy to make anybody can do it. Head of cabbage cut up, some potatoes, some turnips, and some smoked sausage cut up in chunks. Put it in a crockpot with a little water. 5 hrs approximately on high, or 7-8 hrs on low.

The turnips mixed in give it a little bit of bite........I like that, but just as good without turnips. Was ready when we got home from church on Sunday, I had 2 helpings and then had it again for supper. Finished the last of it off at lunch today. Only way you wont like this in my mind is if you don't like cooked cabbage of any sort.

Dessert was some of my wife's blueberry muffins. They're simply awesome. She makes her own batter from scratch. Flour, sugar, vanilla, egg, milk, vegetable oil, salt, and baking powder.

My wife does fried cabbage with smokies or sausage, or boiled cabbage with sausage or smokies on a regular basis too. Very tasty!

looks great , can't go wrong with cabbage .

halushki , cabbage and noodles , is a favorite of mine .

Great looking meal and sounds quite tasty.
We enjoy Cabage and potatoes and had some last night for dinner, but I have to differ on the turnips, not my favorite vegetable.

Great looking meal and sounds quite tasty.
We enjoy Cabage and potatoes and had some last night for dinner, but I have to differ on the turnips, not my favorite vegetable.
I'm with you on that, Rodger. I eat them, but I can't say that I enjoy them. Cabbage? Fried, boiled, slaw, all methods are great.

I'm with you on that, Rodger. I eat them, but I can't say that I enjoy them. Cabbage? Fried, boiled, slaw, all methods are great.
Turnips are an acquired taste just like Brussel sprouts. Back in the day potatoes were hard to get before dad managed to get a piece of adjoining property for a garden and grow our own. Mom would cook turnips and potatoes together to stretch the potatoes and I learned to dislike them cooked since they seemed to be on the table threw out the week. Mom and Dad had 8 children to feed.
Turnips were so plentiful that they were used in payment for services rendered.
Once I was sent to bed because I wouldn't eat them for dinner.

That looks mighty tasty! The wife makes something very similar: chopped cabbage, smoked sausage, and baby carrots all dumped in the slow cooker with generous amounts of salt and pepper. A pan of cornbread to go along with it, and I'm a happy fatty.

Back