Solid Copper bullets, etc

AggieDog

Beginner
Nov 7, 2004
I know that Nosler sells Winchester's Fail Safe, but the caliber stop at 270 CAL. Is there any move in the future to offer a failsafe in 243, 25, cal, and the 6.5 mm?

In addition, I still believe the near perfect solid copper bullet has not been developed yet. Barnes is close, but I still hear a few accuracy issues raised, and often, with high velosity, the petals bust off and you are just punching little holes in things.

I would like to see Nosler devote some effort to perfect this solid copper style bullet. Personally, I am not fully convenced solid copper is the way to go.

Curious to Nosler's thoughts here also.

The Fail Safe is really dependent on Winchester and their needs.

As far as a copper bullet from Nosler, well we will have to see. With the overwhelming popularity of the AccuBond, and the increased sales for the Partition and Ballistic Tip, who knows.

Thanks for the input.

Aggiedog,

I think the FS is the perfected Barnes X.

It solves the Barnes major problem which is the low density of copper making them so long, unstable, and take up too much powder space.

I think the FS has a reputation of keeping the front of the expanded X petals intact much more so than Barnes, which seem to blow off at anything over 2300 fps in big bores and maybe 2600 fps in smaller calibers.

I dont really care for such a low expansion bullet.

Somehow Barnes has made a very serious draw back into a marketing bonanza. Their low or no expansion reuslts in extreme penetration. So does a FMJ. And they are rightlfully illegal for big game hunting in North America.

Andy

Andy":2ushyme5 said:
Aggiedog,

I think the FS is the perfected Barnes X.

Andy

I do not know about that. I have seen a mess load of these and various Barnes X tsx xlc etc fail to expand........ :cry:

In big bores you don't need anything over 2300 fps. That's why you use a big bore. The 9.3x62 kills like God's Wrath at 2300 fps.

Back