Some fun with the 500 S&W

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
dkiLMVlh.jpg

I loaded up some 350 grain Berry's plated bullets for Gavin's 500 S&W revolver and we had a blast with them!

Regards, Guy

Pretty cool Guy. I would like to shoot that big bore revolver some day.

JD338

JD, let me know if you're coming out here to the Pacific Northwest sometime. It would be wonderful to give you a tour of UR, and have you put a few 500 S&W shots downrange. :)

Guy
Guy,
That would be awesome. We will be going there, just don't know when yet but I will certainly let you know when we do.
Thank you Sir.

JD338

When I shot my SRH 454 Casaull it felt like someone was slapping me in the palm with a 2x4. That 454 was providing more punishment on the shooter's end than it was on the target end. I got rid of that sucker! LOL

I had an Encore rifle chambered in 500 S&W. With any load near max it was BRUTAL. Sold that sucker too. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Guy,

Next time you fire off one of those loads let me know.
I have a cigar I need to light. 😁

Vince
Actually my 60 year old neice who shoots quite a bit at our public range had the opportunity to shoot a 500 S&W. She looked at the size of the gun, hesitated for a couple of seconds and then said to herself, what the heck. (she always was a bit of an adventurer) She picked it up, complained about the weight and then cocked it and let one go. She handed the gun back to the owner and said "that was fun" (go figure). She loves to shoot so I guess that made it a little bit easier.

At one time I would brag that I'd shoot anything at least once. Shot a few nasty boomer back then including a .600 Nitro Express. Guess I was about 19back then and weighed about 120 pounds soaking wet and it darn near put me on the ground. I can say I did it but I damn well ain't gonna do it again. IIRC, that .600 weighed around 12 pounds. It wasn't heavy enough.

On handguns, a Desert Eagle in .50AE. Wasn't bad at all and frankly, I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 4.5" barrel and standard Blackhawk grip frame rather that the Super Blackhawk frame. The one hurts a lot more than that 50 caliber Desert Eagle. I would really like to convert that grip frame to the Bisley style. I have Ruger Super Bs with the regular grip frame and the Bisley frame and the Bisley, while it feels a bit strange is a lot more comfortable than the regular frame.

I have a good friend who has a .460 S&W. He loves it. Next time I take a trip up into Nevada, I'll be seeing him and will probably try it out.
Paul B.

Actually my 60 year old neice who shoots quite a bit at our public range had the opportunity to shoot a 500 S&W. She looked at the size of the gun, hesitated for a couple of seconds and then said to herself, what the heck. (she always was a bit of an adventurer) She picked it up, complained about the weight and then cocked it and let one go. She handed the gun back to the owner and said "that was fun" (go figure). She loves to shoot so I guess that made it a little bit easier.
She single?
I’m within three years of her age.

I owned a 460 Wby mag at one time. I bought it with a few boxes of factory ammo. I shot it just for fun but really enjoyed watching my buddies brave up and launch a round. Most said it was "fun" but not a single one would fire a second round. LMAO
Some claimed that it was "abusive".

At the time (pre lasix) I wore glasses. Every time I fired that rifle it would throw my 150lb frame back so fast that my glasses would end up on the ground. Yup - it was "fun". :LOL: :D

Great video, Guy.
Nice to see what different rounds can do. Would hard cast lead with a gas check be a realistic possibility in this cannonball launcher?

Vince

Great video, Guy.
Nice to see what different rounds can do. Would hard cast lead with a gas check be a realistic possibility in this cannonball launcher?

Vince
Absolutely! I loaded the 440 grain flat nose gas check bullet from Cast Performance Bullets exclusively for my 500 S&W. Never loaded anything different for it.

Gavin, and Fotis, have both loaded and shot 700 grain cast bullets from their 500's! Yes, 700 grains of doggone bullet! :)

Guy

I shot it just for fun but really enjoyed watching my buddies brave up and launch a round. Most said it was "fun" but not a single one would fire a second round. LMAO
Some claimed that it was "abusive".
And to think I shoot mine from the bench at paper , something must not be right with me🤪

Back