South Africa 2022

Blkram

Handloader
Nov 25, 2013
What a grand adventure!
Looks like you ands your wife had a wonderful experience!
Thanks for sharing the little details. So many people write only of the hunt and the kills, but the whole experience, including those little details are what brings the whole experience together.

My wife and I were to go to the Eastern Cape in 2018, but due to life's unexpected twists and turns, were not able to go.
My list included the 4 spiral horns - eland, kudu, nyala and bushbuck, while she was after sable and the 4 colour phases of springbuck.
Someday...we'll get the chance to go and make it happen.
As I told the outfitter for the trip we had booked; we were looking more for the experience than we were the trophies.

Gun nut

Handloader
Jun 8, 2016
Awesome report and pictures. Well done. Thank you for taking us along and sharing.
Congratulations to you and your wife for a great adventure and memories.
Duane

Firebird

Beginner
Jun 22, 2013
Blkram-I was supposed to take an eland on my first trip in 2018 but had the opportunity to take a sable for the same price-so the sable came home that trip and eland had to wait. . . Check out the website for game 4 africa. I know they had a spiral horn special that includes your daily fees etc and is a very good deal. And as you can see the springbok slam is very fun. I would do it again! My next trip I want to try to take the reedbucks and a Vaal rhebok and maybe add the golden wildebeest to my other beests I’ve already taken.
But I think a Buffalo is my main goal so we shall see what I can afford in a year or two (or four)

Firebird

Beginner
Jun 22, 2013
One of the costs most people don’t consider when planning a safari is getting all those horns and skins back home.
One month and four days after we got home, the South African taxidermy company e mailed me a cost break down for dip and pack and crating. The total is $1680.00 which I wire transferred to them through the Wells Fargo app. I knew these costs before I came home as our ph showed them to us with the taxidermists price sheet. We also toured their facility. I am not having taxidermy done in SA.
I am having capes and skulls sent for most of the animals-did not keep the cape for the black wildebeest but did keep the tail and I did not keep the duiker cape as I have one already mounted.
Shipping costs will be next and I expect them any day now. Costs are based on size and weight. Air shipping is preferred but they can come by ship over water. It is supposedly cheaper-I’ll know more when I talk to the South African exporter.

Blkram

Handloader
Nov 25, 2013
Blkram-I was supposed to take an eland on my first trip in 2018 but had the opportunity to take a sable for the same price-so the sable came home that trip and eland had to wait. . . Check out the website for game 4 africa. I know they had a spiral horn special that includes your daily fees etc and is a very good deal. And as you can see the springbok slam is very fun. I would do it again! My next trip I want to try to take the reedbucks and a Vaal rhebok and maybe add the golden wildebeest to my other beests I’ve already taken.
But I think a Buffalo is my main goal so we shall see what I can afford in a year or two (or four)
Would be hard to pass up an opportunity on a sable!
Will check out Game 4 Africa; Thanks!
The other "slam" that I think would be interesting, would be the lechwe slam (3 species) in Zambia.

KinleyWater

Handloader
Jun 15, 2019
That is a lot of pennies down. I'm sure it's worth it, but it makes me take a second look at being able to afford a trip.

Firebird

Beginner
Jun 22, 2013
I think most people shoot 4 or 5 of their most desired trophies in 5 or 6 days so their s/h is not outrageous. I like to pull the trigger and I love to have the animals in my house so I am twice afflicted. Once they are home I just get
One mounted when I can afford it-not all at once for sure!
Tanzania and Zambia would be the ultimate safari. Prices soar the farther east on the continent you go but so does the experience. I would love to just do a plains game massai land trip-someday. . .