South Africa Hunt Booked. :)

lefty315

Handloader
Sep 29, 2004
Guy, I’m sure you will absolutely love it. It’s now been 8 years since I made my trip there and I’ve been chomping at the bit to get back ever since. Being a photographer you’ll come home with 10 times the trophies I did. That was my one regret, that I didn’t take a better camera with me. Just don’t wear that ‘06 out getting ready for it:)

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
lefty315":27dxxair said:
Guy, I’m sure you will absolutely love it. It’s now been 8 years since I made my trip there and I’ve been chomping at the bit to get back ever since. Being a photographer you’ll come home with 10 times the trophies I did. That was my one regret, that I didn’t take a better camera with me. Just don’t wear that ‘06 out getting ready for it:)

Thank you old friend. I think he's got several openings left to fill the hunt I booked. :)

Guy

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Discussions with the PH continue - lightly - it's a year out and the details don't have to be hammered out yet. Besides, he's been in business a long time and knows what he's doing.

To my delight, he thinks that he can get me on a couple of gemsbok! (y)

From the PH:
Kudu
Gemsbuck x2
Blue wildebeest
Impala
Springbuck
Bushbuck/ mountain special

So some big, some smaller animals. Should be a nice mixed hunt.

Obviously we won't know until we're hunting, but I like that he knows what I want and is happy to work towards that goal.

I believe that we will likely hunt both the Northern Cape and the Eastern Cape, and I hope to take a day or two to photograph some of the wildlife at Kruger National Park, home to elephant & more!

Oh, I was also happy to check the usual weather for July in South Africa. Cool and dry. Excellent!

Guy

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Rifle choice is narrowing down. I don't think that the 30-06 Rem 700 is going to make the cut.

Have a strong yen to make this a single-shot hunt.

375 H&H Ruger Number One, 1.5-5x Leupold, 260 gr Nosler AccuBond loaded to about 2650 fps.

And if I take a second rifle:

7mm Rem Mag Ruger Number One, 3.5-10x Leupold, 160 gr Nosler Partition loaded to about 3,000 fps.

If I end up taking both rifles, I'll probably bring 30 cartridges for the 375 and 50 for the 7mm. I've been told that I'm limited to 80 cartridges total, so that seems like a good mix.

I won't be surprised though if I just take the 375, after all, I do enjoy shooting it an awful lot. :)

And of course a spare scope in rings for the Number One, already zeroed for the 375 too.

As I've been practicing, I'm coming around more and more to the idea of just taking one rifle, the 375 Number One. I like it, it likes me. We're good. PH is a big fan of the 375 and is fine with a single shot for plains game.

Thinking that I'll do all my hunting this season here in Washington, and in Wyoming, with those single shot Rugers as well.

0S4hs85h.jpg

xHd7W7dh.jpg

I picked up a nice used 3.5-10x Leupold for the 7mm Rem Mag earlier this week. It seems to be quite an improvement over the 1974 vintage 3-9x Leupold I did have on that rifle.

Regards, Guy

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
salmon chaser and gerry are correct

take them both, as s#%& happens and you dont want to do your hunt with a borrowed rifle.

since you want to hunt the 375, take 50 375 and 30 7mm. Use the 375 only but God forbid if something happens to it, you have another rifle with you and that rifle will also have AFRICA forever attached to it.

I ask before, but you didn't respond so if this part of your trip is a secret, just ignore the question. Is your wife or son going with you, even if they dont hunt ?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Europe":wuqtoqwc said:
s

I ask before, but you didn't respond so if this part of your trip is a secret, just ignore the question. Is your wife or son going with you, even if they dont hunt ?

Solo trip. And thanks for the input. (y)

Guy

England

Beginner
Jul 29, 2019
Guy it looks like you have everything covered, I hunted on a ranch around Kimberley with friends, not my thing to be honest, driving around and spotting game, getting out and walking in, big ranch though, 20,000 acres.

Are you doing any internal flights?
If so check the airline take rifles, some don't.

Have a great hunt.

Blkram

Handloader
Nov 25, 2013
There is a very clear reason (at least for me; pun intended! LOL) why so many of my rifles wear the Leupold 3.5-10x40 scopes! (Have them in either the Vari-X III, VX-III and VX-3 variants)
They are clear, reliable and tough!
And the models with the B&C reticle makes shooting the various cartridges/calibers out to further distances even better, as one does not have to guess the holdover. And it is an uncluttered reticle that is quick and easy to use!

Hope you have a great trip Guy!
You'll have lots of fun and bring back many great memories with that No.1!
That 260gr AB is a great bullet. I am having great time with it in my 376 Steyr at 2632 fps. It has worked well on elk and bison so far!

Blkram

Handloader
Nov 25, 2013
Guy Miner":2p4vjqd0 said:
gbflyer":2p4vjqd0 said:
Anything with H&H on the end. Just seems like the right thing to do. Haha.

I agree! (y)

Better be careful Guy, or you'll end up with another pair! with a No.1 in 300 H&H
Or a triple (following in Cheyenne's footsteps) with a custom in 275H&H!
or would that make it a triple, and then a quadruple! LOL

nashtims

Beginner
Jun 11, 2018
Excellent Guy, come on over to Africa Mate. You’re in for a great time.
Your weather mentions for that time of year in that area are spot on.
375? Ouch. For some of the animals on your list that’s alotta lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
nashtims":kqk9o08b said:
Excellent Guy, come on over to Africa Mate. You’re in for a great time.
Your weather mentions for that time of year in that area are spot on.
375? Ouch. For some of the animals on your list that’s alotta lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know... The sensible choice would be my good ol' 30-06 Rem 700 that I use on pretty much everything...

Sigh... I just like my 375 a lot. :grin:

Guy

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
Guy, "actually"

Since Gil mentioned the 275 H & H and gbflyer has made a good point about Africa and H & H. And you were thinking about the 7mm for the trip, I will give you a heads up.

We ( my family ) had ask Aleena to have someone inspect the rifle that is for sale in S Africa. It has been inspected and everything is original and works. The rifle was built the same year the 275 H & H was born and the rifle is in Africa. We spoke to GSC and Rhino and either will take the rifle and zero it in for you with the bullet of your choice, a long as it is their bullets of course.

Go to Guns International if you want to read about it and see pictures of it. Dont be confused by the one Wesley Richards had in the U.K. for sale, it has been sold.

I would take my 375 H & H with me with 40 rounds, pick up the 275 H & H rifle when your there, practice with it and use it. My son figured out how to get the rifle back to the states and there were hoops to jump thru, but how cool would that be to bring home those trophies and that rifle. The 275 Rigby is known to some, but the 275 H & H is a unique caliber, H & H is a unique gun manufacture and as has been mentioned Africa is the place to use it.

Corbett used a 275 Rigby in India and You could use a 275 H & H in Africa Th only thing else that screams "Africa" is a double.

I am very excited for you Guy, a little sad you are going solo, but glad your going!!!

In a separate note. Yes the 375 is a large caliber for some of the game your taking, which is why I suggested in my other post --take them both. Take the smallest of animals with your 7mm ( or your new 275 H & H ) and use the 375 H & H for the bigger animals. But I would use two different rifles although either of them would be fine.

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Oh, the trip is a year out - I'm not real worried about rifle selection at this point. And honestly, I've considered just renting a rifle there from the PH. He's got some nice rifles avail in camp, up to 375 H&H, and of course more "normal" cartridges like the 308, 30-06 and 300 Win Mag. I have to admit, that would make the logistics even simpler. But... I kind of want to use one of my own rifles.

*And I seriously doubt that I could afford a Holland and Holland rifle... :grin: Retired small-town cop here you know. Africa is a big expense, let alone a fancy rifle. If it's the one I saw on Guns International, that's located currently in South Africa, I think it shows $25,000.... Ya, I've never bought an automobile that was that expensive, and all of my firearms together would fall short of that. So... No thank you. But I'm laughing here while thinking of it, and I do appreciate the humor of your suggestion. I really do...

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101464132

So - interesting though that 275 you wrote of may well be - naw - I'm good. Thank you though! :grin:

I do much of my hunting solo. I like it that way. I would have liked to take one of my sons - but they can't go at that time, and my wife has absolutely no interest in Africa. So - there ya go. Solo it is, though I have let several buddies know (and here on the forum) that there are openings left with the same PH, next July. He'd be very happy to have a few more hunters registered, as not much hunting has been happening this year. Oh - as I think on this some more - it doesn't really feel like I'm going to be alone - I've known the PH for at least 8 years, we've shared meals, and twice I've hosted him at my gun club where we shot together. He is a great guy and a friend, so... I've got a companion, a friendly face, already in place. That's kind of nice.

Regards, Guy

Thankful Otter

Handloader
Oct 8, 2012
Am I the only one here that loves April. She always makes me smile and what is really funny is she is serious!

Without a doubt that would be an excellent rifle to own Guy. The 275 H & H is a very fine 7mm caliber, and for those who like unusual calibers, it is that. Plus H & H is a fine rifle manufacturer. Then she even thinks about if you buy the rifle there, you will need ammo and can not bring it with you and even if you could, would it work in the rifle.

Scotty is probably the only one who has even heard of "Rhino" I had not , had to look them up.

Now for the rifle, for christi sake April it costs as much as Guy's trip possibly, but regardless of what Guy is paying for this trip, the rifle is 25000.00 Holy s---!!

Guy, take both rifles, use them both and when you return tell us which rifle took which animal, as your post, when you make it, ,after you return, will be as close as I ever get to Africa

What were those rats Jamilia said were good to eat in Africa ? Try them and let us know what you think Guy. have a wonderful trip ! Are you going to also fish, sight see. I would like to see Cape Town and Victoria Falls

5shot

Handloader
Jan 13, 2016
Thankful Otter":j2y80tm9 said:
Am I the only one here that loves April. She always makes me smile and what is really funny is she is serious!

Without a doubt that would be an excellent rifle to own Guy. The 275 H & H is a very fine 7mm caliber, and for those who like unusual calibers, it is that. Plus H & H is a fine rifle manufacturer. Then she even thinks about if you buy the rifle there, you will need ammo and can not bring it with you and even if you could, would it work in the rifle.

Scotty is probably the only one who has even heard of "Rhino" I had not , had to look them up.

Now for the rifle, for christi sake April it costs as much as Guy's trip possibly, but regardless of what Guy is paying for this trip, the rifle is 25000.00 Holy s---!!

Guy, take both rifles, use them both and when you return tell us which rifle took which animal, as your post, when you make it, ,after you return, will be as close as I ever get to Africa

What were those rats Jamilia said were good to eat in Africa ? Try them and let us know what you think Guy. have a wonderful trip ! Are you going to also fish, sight see. I would like to see Cape Town and Victoria Falls

Probably as close as I'll ever get as well.