South Africa Hunt Booked. :)

nashtims

Beginner
Jun 11, 2018
Well consider this:- Guy coming to hunt in Africa near the town of Kimberley (about 300 miles from me) is as close as what I will get to a piece of Washington. [emoji2960]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Thankful Otter":2yvtjzeu said:
Now for the rifle, for christi sake April it costs as much as Guy's trip possibly, but regardless of what Guy is paying for this trip, the rifle is 25000.00 Holy s---!!

Roughly $10k more than my trip... :shock: Hunting plains game in Africa is one heck of a bargain.

Guy

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
1100 Remington Man":2eixqq0s said:
I hope things open up and you have a Great hunt. The cull oppoutinity sounds exciting.

Thanks! It's about a year from now. I'm not sure about the cull opportunity, that will be quite welcome if possible. And I sure hope that air travel is possible, as well as safe then.

Also plan on visiting a couple of South Africa's well-regarded national parks, including the Addo Elephant park. :grin:

I've never seen elephant in the wild - and am so excited about that possibility. No, I'm not hunting elephant, but I'd just love to see and photograph some.

Guy

nashtims

Beginner
Jun 11, 2018
So about this 1/4 MIL FA.....There’s a trend that I have noticed during transnational sales of certain items relating to the “Shoot” industry but before I make a call on whether that may be going on here on not, let me ask a question to the more knowledgeable out there.

This breakdown, 1912YOM, 275 H&H, being sold as mentioned before, what is the value of a similar/ identical FA?
I do understand that if someone decides to actually pay that amount of money, well then that is the value, BUT has anyone ever seen a like FA being offered or even purchased for that exorbitant amount of moola?

If this is regarded as a thread hijack I apologize but the matter was brought up in this thread.

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
There was two rifles for sale that one of the members of this forum would have bought in a heartbeat if money was no object --right Scotty (-: I am joking--somewhat, but there were two pre 64 model 70 winchesters for sale for something like 1,750,000.00 with serial numbers 1 and 2,

These guns may never hunt, but somebody will want them and buy them.

Why would anybody in their right mind pay more for a 1965 Mustang than a new car ? But it happens every day.

As to the rifle in question, will it sell for 25000.00 ? I doubt it, maybe half that. But it is not just an unusual caliber, it is a good 7mm caliber. It was made by a fairly good firm. It was made in the year the caliber was introduced and it is in good condition. Someone will buy it.

Maybe someone who has a 300 and 375 already. Maybe a collector of "old" calibers, H & H's, unusual calibers. Why would anybody in their right mind pay 3500 for a Win 71 348, when you can get a BLR 348 for half that price. (-: why even pay that much for an old 348 when you can get a new 358 ???? A little dig at one of our members.

Back to the thread topic. Guy, before or after your hunting trip do you plan on doing any sight seeing in S. Africa ? Are you going to any other countries while there ?

Very excited for you. You have wanted to go for a long time and now you are ! Enjoy

Firebird

Beginner
Jun 22, 2013
You are limited to 80 rounds or 11 pounds of ammunition, not sure you'll get to that point but its something to think about. As soon as the airlines start booking for your dates, book your seat and get the "exit row seating." Pay extra if you must but it is worth it!
Add zebra to your list-you'll see lots and nothing says Africa like a zebra rug. You will see and kill a great gemsbok on the kalahari and don't be afraid to shoot a long horned cow, or you could be really picky and shoot a thick horned bull, maybe get lucky and get long, heavy and a bull!
Practice off sticks-the first shot is the only one that matters no matter what rifle and bullet you shoot.
Glad springbok is on your list. It is the S. African national animal and pretty sure you will see lots of them, bring home a worn down heavy ram and keep the back skin for rugs or pillows. Not worth the money to keep backskins from most of your other stuff but certainly something to consider. Take extra money for the duikers and steenboks and things you don't consider until you are there and run into them. I booked my next trip for summer 2022 just to give the world time to settle down and try to reset itself. Will be excited to see how you do, have any questions don't hesitate to pm me-

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Thats awesome Guy! Man its my dream to make it there myself one day. Can't wait to see those pictures!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Congrats on the hunt Guy. Sounds like a good workout for that new 7mm you’ve got!

A fella I’m fairly close with spends a month in South Africa every year, he only really books culling trips. He’s a 270 Winchester FANATIC and has taken everything to include Eland and makes no bones about how well the 270 and great bullets work and since he is shooting quite a lot, the lighter recoil cartridge tends to make him look good.

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Ya, thanks for that info. I think my 30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag would do just fine. Neither kicks much and both cartridges have performed well for me in the past.

I had a bad case of buyer's remorse a couple of days ago and almost cancelled the hunt. YIKES!

Almost. I know the plains game hunts are bargains compared to other hunts even here in North America, but wow - the travel costs, and everything else. It's still a chunk of change. Ah well, I think I'll hang in there and hunt.

Guy

MZ5

Beginner
Aug 28, 2017
Congratulations on the hunt. I've been to South Africa before, but not hunting. It is a beautiful country, with beautiful and exotic plants and animals everywhere. I think you'll enjoy the trip itself, and the hunt separately and in addition. I look forward to your report next year!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Well - that didn't last long. Cancelled the hunt.

Closer it got, the more it started looking like a pointless extravagance. I lost interest.

Guy

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
salmonchaser":1r5f37mv said:
Logic, damn I hate logic. I’ve let deposits go twice.

THAT- So it looks like I may not even attempt deer here in MN for the sake of "logic". Sorry Guy, not to high jack a thread. I always find hunting, or even a range session most enjoyable when it feels like the priorities are in the right order. The right thing will come along and everything will "feel right". Cant remember for sure, but I believe that another poster here related the story of a free range aoudad (or some other transplanted exotic) hunt here in the states. New Mexico maybe? anyway he related a wonderful hunt where his daughter took a magnificent (to me anyway) bull. As they say..."priceless". Black buck in Texas sounds just about right for the old 250 Sav. Maybe some day..... Again, the right thing at the right time, will come along. CL

flyingagg

Beginner
Dec 16, 2019
I did a 10 day, 7 animal (plains) hunt in South Africa with my son when he graduated college. Best 10 days we spent together.
I want to go back again, and I want to try the "small five". More challenging, small targets and skittish. What I decided, I am not bringing trophies back. I want to track and hunt and then eat the animal, but no trophies. Just pictures.

nashtims

Beginner
Jun 11, 2018
Guy Miner":91r09aud said:
Well - that didn't last long. Cancelled the hunt.

Closer it got, the more it started looking like a pointless extravagance. I lost interest.

Guy
Noooooo Noooooo

Guy, thought you’d come to Africa - we’d get together - have a few laughs. [emoji2960]

flyingagg

Beginner
Dec 16, 2019
Firebird":285hhrby said:
You are limited to 80 rounds or 11 pounds of ammunition, not sure you'll get to that point but its something to think about. As soon as the airlines start booking for your dates, book your seat and get the "exit row seating." Pay extra if you must but it is worth it!
Add zebra to your list-you'll see lots and nothing says Africa like a zebra rug. You will see and kill a great gemsbok on the kalahari and don't be afraid to shoot a long horned cow, or you could be really picky and shoot a thick horned bull, maybe get lucky and get long, heavy and a bull!
Practice off sticks-the first shot is the only one that matters no matter what rifle and bullet you shoot.
Glad springbok is on your list. It is the S. African national animal and pretty sure you will see lots of them, bring home a worn down heavy ram and keep the back skin for rugs or pillows. Not worth the money to keep backskins from most of your other stuff but certainly something to consider. Take extra money for the duikers and steenboks and things you don't consider until you are there and run into them. I booked my next trip for summer 2022 just to give the world time to settle down and try to reset itself. Will be excited to see how you do, have any questions don't hesitate to pm me-

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Believe me - I still want to go someday. Right now there are other priorities and I just didn't feel good about the hunt anymore.

There will be a day for Africa, I hope.

Guy